Ajit Jain in India - Times of India interview

Guest kumar

Guest longinvestor

I wonder how the chefs will feel about cooking hamburgers for three days straight?

If I understand the assumptions behind this question, it belies gross ignorance about India, 5-star hotels there and the menus they serve up. Been going for some 50 years not the last three days. Come on! Ask anyone who has stayed @ an Oberoi or a Windsor Manor or a Taj and a 5-star in the US and one will come away with a new definition for 5-star hospitality. And it comes with a price tag that will make people unfamiliar raise eyebrows.

I wonder how the chefs will feel about cooking hamburgers for three days straight?

If I understand the assumptions behind this question, it belies gross ignorance about India, 5-star hotels there and the menus they serve up. Been going for some 50 years not the last three days. Come on! Ask anyone who has stayed @ an Oberoi or a Windsor Manor or a Taj and a 5-star in the US and one will come away with a new definition for 5-star hospitality. And it comes with a price tag that will make people unfamiliar raise eyebrows.

I didn't ask anyone who has stayed at those locations but I'm going to guess that hamburgers are not a big part of indian cuisine. However, Buffett is not known to be a foodie.

I didn't ask anyone who has stayed at those locations but I'm going to guess that hamburgers are not a big part of indian cuisine. However, Buffett is not known to be a foodie.

mcdonald's has a vegetarian burger ...and there are indian versions of burgers - chicken, fish and you name it for the last 15+ years. you will be surprised with all that you find :)

getting a steak is not too difficult either

My daughter after her year as an exchange student, had her first hamburger in Frankfort.  She was vegetarian for a year.  To give you an idea how far India has come, while she was there in the late 1980's, we never were able to call on the phone.  Now it is like next door.

Hamburgers in India!!!!  Teenagers and youth are crazy about McDonalds there.  About five years ago, I flew from DC to Delhi to see a prospective bride and all she wanted to do was take me to a McD (as she called it).  (Please don't ask me about the outcome of that visit - rejection sucks in any language).  It has in fact gotten better these days.

These days even a B city like Kochi has at least a subway and a few pizza delivery places.

Bottom line, burgers are no big deal.

I think the question was more about Warren's lack of culinary sophistication than India's tastes.

The responses are revealing for the perceptions of changes in India in recent years.