Anyone buying BH?

shalab

$350 and I'll take a look.

All things equal, it would have to be cheaper than that for me to be interested... get it to 1/2 of what it's trading at, and I would prolly buy a bunch.

Same here, I mean we have to account for the Management discount it deserves.

Guest Bronco

You won't see this go below $300.  At $350 IMO you have a good trade.

I would love to buy Berkshire B at $50 but it ain't gonna happen.

You won't see this go below $300.  At $350 IMO you have a good trade.

I would love to buy Berkshire B at $50 but it ain't gonna happen.

I also thought that when it was SNS that it would never get below $3/share... but it did in late 2008. I am not saying that it will get there, or that is even the discount that Biglari deserves (in my mind, it isn't). It's just that there are other ideas out there that are cheaper than BH @ $300, even $250!

Guest Bronco

350 is not a bad price for this stock.  We all know management is greedy, but if you can make money off the stock, then take it. 

Quite frankly, I'm more interested in what people would buy then hear them whine why BH is such a bad idea.  With the exception of myth, I didn't hear a lot of ideas.

Here is my list of interesting companies, all which I bought today - Fcx, a little google, and glw.  Was close to buying exelon but it already bounced.

And to one posters point, BH will more likely make you money at 350 then Berkshire at 85.  As painful as that is to hear, it is true.  And there is no bigger fan of buffett.....

I'm getting cranky, especially noticing Vancouver is running away with best record.

Guest Bronco

Biaggio - you're my new best friend.

JNJ looks interesting, although patent expirations and plant debacles are always a concern.  But consumer products are awesome.

FFH - does look more interesting now although I haven't bought.

L I own a ton but may be called out.  A buy under $40 is always safe with $4b in cash and assets out the wazoo (is that a Canadian word?)

LRE - see Myth - resident expert

LLY - I'll pass and am ignorant on that one.

If I take the Buffett approach - EXC looks good to me.  It is a backdoor play on nat gas - if nat gas prices go up, they will raise their rates.  Plus, they'll be around for 50 years, unlike many other companies.

ideas I am looking at:

FTR-put bid yesterday at$7.50 (10% yield)

JNJ

FFH

L

LLY

LRE

Seems like High Yield is rallying FTR and ROIC are moving up. FTR has gotten away from me a bit.

I bought some ATPG leaps. LOL, dramatically overexposed but its a nice trade on permits. Up 6% so far but will probably get wacked in a few days.

LRE - TWA is the man I follow here. I will buy underbook, probably when they buy back. I will likely double my position to 8% - 10%.

JNJ - Dead money / too big for me. I will leave them alone, dont understand or care to understand healthcare.

FFH - Will buy but they will need to get much cheaper. Under book, after hedges, bonds, and everything else.

L - Perhaps.

BH - Gets way too much press. This is dead money, the guy cant get anything done. Why bother. The easy money has been made.

Thanks Bronco I could use another friend.

FTR + FFH price not cooperating.

Trying to be patient and not chase prices, hoping that get a better offer.

I was thinking FFH <$340 (probably wont happen?), FTR at $7.50 , L<$40, JNJ ~$50 or less (wishful thinking?) LRE at < BV of $7.83

Nobody recommending healthcare? Great demographics. I think the price of the patent expirations is in the price of the stocks of company like LLY--getting a good dividend yield,  earning yield of 15% with risk...

Guest Bronco

Riju - me too on MKL.

I am keeping discipline.  I set my alerts for certain price levels, if they hit, I review and may buy.  If no alerts, no buys.

Loews holding real strong here.  I am going to get called out by Saturday on much of my position. 

Will looking to diversify.

I looked at Parsad's doomday scenario.  EWJ $5 puts - Jan 2012 expiration - no more than $15 a contract.  Probably flushing money down the toilet, but no one is playing this scenario yet.