Zdeno Chara

jeffmori7

Guest Bronco

Keaton always said, "I don't believe in God, but I'm afraid of him." Well I believe in God, and the only thing that scares me is Zdeno Chara.

At first, though terrible for Pachioretty, I didnt think Chara meant to hit him.

I watched it quite a few times after that first thought and still felt the same way. THEN i saw an angle that appeared to show Chara pushing Pach into the stantion. At this point I thought maybe he did mean it. But then again, not too long after I saw the same clip in real time and it appeared Chara was just trying to use his arm to stop Pach from getting by him - the slow mo actually made it look like he was pushing him when in fact the reg speed you realize Pach was going to fast for him to be able to push him. So now Im back to this  ??? stage in my thinking.

video below:

I don't think that was a bad hit...it's a problem with the design of the arena.  Those stantions should be padded.  Just like the young Georgian luger who died in Vancouver during the 2010 Winter Olympics.  The course was dangerously fast, and he lost control.  Common sense for the track officials would have dictated that padding be present on those posts coming around a corner.  These spots around various arenas can be very dangerous, including when the team bench doors open on line changes and somebody is getting hit into the boards near them. 

The game is so fast today, and the players so damn big.  You have a split second to make a decision.  Just like Getzlaf's hit on Hamshuis a couple of months ago.  It happened so quickly.  The stuff they need to suspend and get rid of altogether are the blindsides, the bad hits when a defenseman is racing back to touch the icing, elbows to the head, sticks to the face, etc.  But until you get an NHL commissioner and enforcement officer that is consistent, and understands what needs to be fixed in the game, only then will it happen.  Cheers!

I am no habs fan at all! I cheer when they lose. But honestly, Chara is a complete idiot and should be suspended before he does it to someone else.

I have never seen him on the replay hesitating to complete his check. If you have a brain, you are playing a game and you realize that you are about to almost kill someone (slamming the head of someone into a post at full speed would qualify!), you should have a reflex to stand back. He went all the way...

The fact that he was not threathened (hard to argue at his size), that he is a professional hockey player (should know where dangers are on the ice rink) and that he completed his check with no signs of "Oh no!" make him suitable for a criminal trial IMO.

Cardboard

Good morning to all. This is a wonderful site, where I learn about money/finances/stocks, AND people talk HOCKEY!! Hopefully in May, you'll start discussing golf, because that will be what my Islanders are playing! (to think almost 30 years have passed since the last of four in a row!)(and didn't the Islanders give up Chara for a bag of pucks?)

In regards to the Chara hit, I believe he WAS trying to push him into the sideboards (not the stanchion), BUT only to slow him up! At the speed they are going, you are trying to defend your goal, not INJURE someone. Heck, I slammed some guy into the boards the other night (non-checking league) simply because there was a loose puck and he got there a split-second before I did. I tried to put the brakes on, but not quickly enough. Also, at the angle Chara was skating at, the Montreal guy could have cut back, and Chara would have to protect himself from the wall, so I think it was just a bad mishap. I hope Pachioretty (spelling?) is ok and gets back soon.

One more note, depending on who makes it to the Cup finals, I love the Vancouver team! It is wild to see those twins playing together, and those Green guys in the stand are very amusing. Good luck, and if the NJ Devils make it to the playoffs, they will WIN the CUP! You heard it here first!

Don't know if it was intentional, but if i had to guess, i would say it was. Tanner Glass, a very intelligent guy if you hear him or read his blog said the NHL guys know where the turnbuckle is.  Pacioretty i thought made a courageous comment to go against the league dogma, and suggesting Chara admit it was a mistake instead of denying it. NHL commissioners office is a joke. Like the luge olympian, better engineering should be done before not after. The best they can come up with is Colin Campbell doesn't adjudicate his son's games! Wow, great ethics, but what about the guys getting maimed on the ice.

Just watched the hit.  The problem is the design of the area as Parsad said. There should not be an ending to any of the glass.  They should have the glass start a few feet outside of the rink and have it move gradually toward the edge of the rink.  Therefore there is no hanging wall edge in which someone can be vertically closelined as this guy was.  Unfortunate, but I think that changing the rink would be easier than removing these types of hits in hockey.  Its part of the game. 

I think hockey fans should protest just like in Libya against Gary Bettman and Colin Campbell...since they are a couple of dictators.  Air Canada said they would remove their sponsership this morning due to all of the head injuries and Bettman tells them that they can always find another sponser.  Nice!

As far as Colin Campbell is concerned, shouldn't they just find another enforcement officer if there is ANY conflict of interest.  It's like that investigator/attorney that the SEC hired, who had investments related to Madoff.  He told the SEC about this, but they hired him anyway.  Why?  Just find another attorney!  How hard is it to figure out that there should be "NO" conflict of interest after everything that has happened.  Cheers!

Guest Bronco

I still think it was unintentional.  Keep in mind you have the strongest player in the league basically rubbing the guy out.  IMO - Chara's head was faced up ice, looking towards the puck.  It was a rub-out moreso than a shove, push, or big check.

Never like to see a guy hurt like that, but just a weird set of circumstances. 

I would love to see Chara suspended for several decades, but it isn't deserved.  I agree the setup of the rink is poor and 90% of the problem here. 

It's impossible to tell for sure, but I do not think, honestly, that he meant to do this, partially because I can't think that one hockey player would really look to do that to another. And, agreed, this was not a matter of if, but a matter of when, based on the design. It's actually a minor miracle that no one has died yet on one of those.

Thought this was intereting, though...it would seem that the Bruins players were all coached to refer to this as "unfortunate".

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nhl/columns/story?columnist=murphy_james&id=6196160

-Crip

Guest Bronco

thanks - maybe a top ten movie for me.  right below some of the classics...

Wall Street

Good Fellas

Couple of the Godfathers

Angelina Jolie (oh wait, thats not a movie).

etc....

I think most of you are right. One of the first things that come to mind is the bad design. I hope they will rethink the whole thing in all arena. Unfortunately, the NHL is not gonna take the lead on that one as far as we know how Gary Betman is such a great leader...

But as I see how it happens, as some of you, I'm not so sure that Chara isn't pushing MaxPac with his hand...and one thing Chara should know : He is probably the strongest guy in the league. He needs to be aware of that when he's fighting with other players.

Personnaly, I'm thinking there is too much injuries in this league..I know hockey is fast, but ref should be more severe with roughness and assault...

Anyway, the Habs won't win the Cup until another 20 years or so..

Good grief if they can build soft walls at super speedways to protect race drivers travelling well over 200 mph surely someone could figure out that those stantions need to be padded. If the police are looking at charging someone in this matter perhaps they should be discussing a negligence charge with the forum owners. I mean, it doesn't take a genius to see the danger that they present.