Gotham Capital vs Gotham Partners.

Surely I can't be the only one to realize this, but this are two separate firms. Until today, I thought they were one and the same.

So, Gotham Capital is Greenblatt's hedge fund started in 1985.

Ackman co founded Gotham Partners in 1992. I just assumed (incorrectly, it looks like) that David Berkowitz, Ackman, Greenblatt, etc all worked together.

Maybe I saw Gotham, value investors, hedge fund, etc and wrapped it all into one thing. Talk about an epiphany. Did all of you guys already know the difference?

Berkowitz and Ackman started Gotham Partners.  They split up and Ackman started Pershing Square, while Gotham folded and Berkowitz started Festina Linte Partners LP...no idea if it's still around. 

Greenblatt started Gotham Capital after receiving seed capital from Michael Milken.  I don't believe the three ever worked on a fund together, but they may have been involved in a single transaction or something.  Cheers!

The funny thing is that every one of these guys, along with a whole host of others, all lead back to Michael Steinhardt and Michael Milken!  You should read some of Deepcapture's articles on this...it's why I don't buy into even Greenblatt's books.  I think who you associate with says alot about you.  Perhaps coincidental, perhaps not!  Cheers!

Greenblatt worked at Drexel Burnham Lambert when Milken was there.  Milken seeded his fund when he started.  It doesn't mean that Greenblatt did anything wrong...just in my opinion I'm a little cautious due to who people are associated with.  I mean Greenblatt also seeded Michael Burry, and I've never seen or heard anything negative about Burry. 

You get to know alot of people in this industry, and there tends to be a lot of inter-relationships.  But it is quite the coincidence that so many "masters of the universe" all lead back to the Sith Lord!  Cheers!