Special situations website

tnp20

Does anyone know of good website(s) that give you heads up on upcoming special situations like:-

(i) Rights offerings

(ii) Spinoffs

(iii) etc. in Greenblatt fashion.

Its hard to find some of this stuff on the SEC websites. Lot of the rights offerings get filed as different types....N2, S1, S2, POS EX, POS 8C etc.....

I don't even mind if they are paid websites as long as they give you give you fair amount of upcoming opportunities.....

There is a site spinoffs.com that has some spinoffs.  It has missed some I know of though.  To search for rights offerings and tender offers I search the Yahoo Finance news with keywords "rights offering" and "tender offer".

Packer

• 4 months later...

I'm still learning about spinoffs, but if i understand it right, when a company does a spinoff they MUST file a 10-12b form.  Are companies REQUIRED to file this form, or is there another form?  My question arose because i was looking at the GGP spinoff of Howard Hughes and could not find a 10-12b form for either of the companies in the past year.  Am i missing something obvious?  Thanks in advance for the help

Thanks for mentioning stockspinoffs.com, eclecticvalue. We try to keep the spinoff tables up to date and post at least a brief blurb on every spinoff, but it can be tough with the current rate of spins!  Please let us know if you find any incorrect or missing info, have any content to submit, or any other suggestions(generic@weneca.com).  We couldn't find a good, free list of spinoffs, so we decided to build one.

I'm still learning about spinoffs, but if i understand it right, when a company does a spinoff they MUST file a 10-12b form.  Are companies REQUIRED to file this form, or is there another form?  My question arose because i was looking at the GGP spinoff of Howard Hughes and could not find a 10-12b form for either of the companies in the past year.  Am i missing something obvious?  Thanks in advance for the help

If the spinoff is a large part of the business, the company may need to file a proxy statement for shareholders' approval rather than Form 10-12b. :)

Morningstar opportunistic investor is pretty solid, it's $200 per year but you can do a 2 week free trial.  The website is mgi.morningstar.com.  They cover a bunch of stuff including spinoffs, tarp warrants, contingent value rights, as well as stocks the authors think are just plain cheap.  Personally, I use it as a source of ideas, and if I had to guess I'd say I've invest in about 10% of their ideas, making it well worth the price for me.