Fairfax Book!

Liberty

We have published a small book, “The First 25 Years of Fairfax”, written by

journalist Ron Graham, based on a series of interviews. We hope you enjoy reading our story – a copy will be given to all attendees at our shareholders’ meeting on April 20, 2011.

I'm not done reading the annual letter yet, but after reading the part about the book above I became sad because I probably won't be at the shareholder's meeting  :-[

Is there any way at all that we could organize it so that people who can't make it still get the book? If someone can pick a copy for me I'd have no problem paying for shipping (via paypal or I'll send a check).

Or can anyone with contacts at FFH (Parsad?) ask if they will be sending copies of the books if we contact their investor relations or something like that?

I really want to read it. Thanks!  ;D

what are you guys talking about? Is there a book published about FFH?

We have published a small book, “The First 25 Years of Fairfax”, written by

journalist Ron Graham, based on a series of interviews. We hope you enjoy reading our story – a copy will be given to all attendees at our shareholders’ meeting on April 20, 2011.

I'll check with Fairfax and find out whether they may make the book available online in some form after the AGM is over.  Perhaps, solely on Overstock.com!  ;D 

And yes, it is a book and it's a fantastic tribute to Prem and all of Fairfax.  All the shareholders attending will love it, and I suspect Prem will be signing alot of autographs at the AGM this year!  Cheers!

I'll check with Fairfax and find out whether they may make the book available online in some form after the AGM is over.  Perhaps, solely on Overstock.com!   ;D 

And yes, it is a book and it's a fantastic tribute to Prem and all of Fairfax.  All the shareholders attending will love it, and I suspect Prem will be signing alot of autographs at the AGM this year!  Cheers!

Thank you so much! I truly appreciate it, as I love learning more about this fascinating company that is around 1/3 of my portfolio  ;D

I'll check with Fairfax and find out whether they may make the book available online in some form after the AGM is over.  Perhaps, solely on Overstock.com!   ;D 

Sanj,

Perhaps a copy enclosed with the annual report this year? If not, a PDF version on the website would be great too!

cheers

Zorro

Eggbriar, out of curiosity, can you describe the content a bit? Is it only a compilation of interviews? Were they done specifically for the book or gathered from various places? How many pages? Thanks!

Hi Liberty,

It starts out as a biography of Prem, then moves on to his starting of Fairfax and

the history of Fairfax as it has grown.  It is more of a story with some pages showing

relevant newspaper clippings and headlines.  I don't have it with me now, but I will guess

that it is about 100 pages and more of a softback pamphlet.

Hi Liberty,

It starts out as a biography of Prem, then moves on to his starting of Fairfax and

the history of Fairfax as it has grown.  It is more of a story with some pages showing

relevant newspaper clippings and headlines.  I don't have it with me now, but I will guess

that it is about 100 pages and more of a softback pamphlet.

Thanks! That sounds interesting.

Please do. I would really set aside sometime to read it.

• 5 months later...

I also received a stiff softcover. I am surprised I still got it because I didn't send them a mailed envelope to them because it was during the Canadian postal strike. So I completely forgot to send it but I think they sent it to me since they still have the email I sent them. Thank You Fairfax!!! The book has a nice design can't wait to read it.

I mailed my request in for the book some time ago but never got it. Does anyone have the person it should go to and the address??

This is the reply I received from Fairfax in early June when I inquired about the book via e-mail:

------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you very much for your interest in Fairfax and our 25th anniversary book.

The book was provided at the shareholders’ meeting as a thanks for the many years of support and was intended to be distributed to shareholders only on that day.

Understanding that not all of our shareholders can attend every meeting in person for many reasons, we have decided to send copies of the book to shareholders who send us a written letter by regular post. The letter should clearly provide your name, mailing address and the year you became a shareholder.

Our mailing address is:

Fairfax Financial Holdings Limited

95 Wellington Street West, Suite 800,

TORONTO, Ontario Canada  M5J 2N7 

Attention:  25th Anniversary Book.

In lieu of requesting funds to cover postage for delivery of the book, we will be asking that the recipient of each book make a donation to the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto (http://www.sickkidsfoundation.com/donate/).

We thank you again for your interest and we look forward to seeing you in person at our next annual meeting. In the future, we hope to be able to continue provide interesting information and access to management at each of our shareholders’ meetings to make the trip in person worth your time and effort.

------------------------------------------------------------

I received my copy in early August.