iPad's $100 cheaper

CONeal

Noticed in the paper that Apple has dropped be cost for the original iPad by $100.  Know some of you have been waiting on the new tablet to come out before buying one.  Seems like the only real difference between the two versions are the cameras. 

Guest Bronco

I would pay the extra $100 for the new one if I didn't have one, but the Ipad is an awesome device either way.  It is much more user consumption than creation (watch movies, email, surf this website, read a book, newspapers, etc), but so what.

If I want to write a word document or use excel I use my real computer.  But to boot up in a sec, walk into your home office and read the WSJ on the ipad - nothing better.

Agreed! The iPad is an incredible device. I use it at least an hour everyday to surf the web, read Zinio magazines, Kindle books, and WSJ.

I'll wait until the iPad 3 comes out before I make the upgrade. I don't have any use for the camera and Facetime capabilities but would definitely like to see a Retina screen on the 3rd version.

Noticed in the paper that Apple has dropped be cost for the original iPad by $100.  Know some of you have been waiting on the new tablet to come out before buying one.  Seems like the only real difference between the two versions are the cameras.

No, there are a bunch of differences...faster chip, two cameras for facetime and video, thinner, lighter, HDMI port so you can view your pictures on your big screen or do a powerpoint.  Battery life is the same 10 hours.  I think the new one is well worth paying the $100, rather than buy the old iPad.  Cheers!

Come June you might be tied into iBooks for reading content -- at least for app type purchases.  You could probably still purchase content (such as Kindle, Kobo, WSJ, etc) through Safari; however, you may well have to read it that way too.  The app method is of course preferable for purchases and for integrated reading; however, no one knows what is going to happen.  

Apple could back off on their in-app purchase policy yet - but at the present time there is definite risk of being tied into Apple iBooks.  I would wait until at least June when we should have a better idea of where this is all headed.  Besides, these tablets are very expensive at this point.  You will see prices drop dramatically in the years to come.  And you think the iPad2 is thin - wait until epaper technology advances to mainstream use.  

Come June you might be tied into iBooks for reading content -- at least for app type purchases.  You could probably still purchase content (such as Kindle, Kobo, WSJ, etc) through Safari; however, you may well have to read it that way too.  The app method is of course preferable for purchases and for integrated reading; however, no one knows what is going to happen.  

Apple could back off on their in-app purchase policy yet - but at the present time there is definite risk of being tied into Apple iBooks.  I would wait until at least June when we should have a better idea of where this is all headed.  Besides, these tablets are very expensive at this point.  You will see prices drop dramatically in the years to come.  And you think the iPad2 is thin - wait until epaper technology advances to mainstream use.  

Those are good points. It'll be interesting to see what happens with the in-app purchases and Amazon. I'd be pretty upset if i could no longer read Kindle books on the iPad. Not sure if Amazon would give in to the 30% commission. I think the iBooks app is better than the Kindle app, but the selection on iBooks is nowhere near Amazon's.

As far as price, i feel that $499 is very reasonable. I think it's worth noting that everything moves more toward cloud computing, there is not as much of a need for the versions of the iPad with more storage. I got a 32GB iPad, but still have most of the HD space free. I would have been perfectly fine with the 16gb model in retrospect. And you can already get the original iPad for only $399.