IPhone 4 or the best Droid?

Cardboard

I know it is not an investment related topic or maybe it will turn into a nice discussion and show Apple's competitive advantage or not. I still would like if possible to tap into this board's knowledge and experience on the topic. The phone will be used mainly for phone calls, surfing investment sites (getting quotes/news), search on Google, e-mail.

I am in the market for a smart phone more oriented towards Internet surfing than e-mail hence why I am not mentioning the Blackberry. Prices appear to be very similar except that going the IPhone route locks me in for 3 years.

I think it now gets down mainly to the choice between 2 operating systems vs the quality and capability of the phone itself. Most of my friends have the IPhone which makes them nuts about Apple. They won't look at anything else. I personally think that Google is quite a powerhouse in software development so it can't be too bad either.

Reading .pdf is also quite important for me since most Canadian annual reports are in that format and there is some dispute between Apple and Adobe. I don't plan to read through them on the small screen, but it may be useful to search for a small piece of data once in a while so I want to be at least able to open them. I got mixed information on the possibility to open them on the IPhone.

What do you guys think?

Cardboard

Will the Windows 7 phones be compatible with all the music I downloaded on my Zune?

Just a quick joke, but your question is valid in that I think the innovation will be flatter for Apple and competitors will catch up.  I think Google is the best play on this, but Microsoft should do well with the Nokia deal.

I have an Iphone, Ipad (awesome) and Apple TV (worth the $100) - but you can't deny the onslaught of competition.  Unless Apple revolutionizes the TV itself real quick, competitors will take some share.

Apple is still a cash cow but I think the easy money has been made.

What is interesting to me also is Comcast.  I never liked the stock or the company (and I am a philly boy).  But the app is pretty cool and you can watch HBO, Skinemax, Showtime, Starz...etc on the Ipad now.  I can only imagine this expanding...hopefully to more important areas like hockey programming.

Honestly, for basic web access and email/facebook/twitter/etc. any of the big three (iOS, Android, WP7) will probably work for you.  I have a moto Droid and am perfectly happy with it.  If you already use Google services (gmail, calendar, finance, etc.) then an Android phone will probably be the easiest to get started with.  If not, then it may not matter that much.

Verizon's network is better in terms of access and stability, but AT&T is better in overall network speed.  I wouldn't switch networks for a phone, but would choose the phone you like best on your current network.  My Droid contract is up in October and I'll give serious consideration to the iphone, but the competition is catching up fast. 

Try windows phone 7 with the Samsung Focus model. It is got a much better UI than the Droid with easily accessible connectivity for e-mail, facebook and surfing. I have friends who have moved from iPhone to Samsung Focus and there isn't that much of a difference from their testimony. Adobe has free apps so one can read pdfs nicely on the phone. Only plus for the iPhone is that there are more apps in its app store.

Agreed about the WP7 interface. I also have a Samsung Focus and it's awesome. The AMOLED screen is the best of any phone on the market.

Will the Windows 7 phones be compatible with all the music I downloaded on my Zune?

Yes, music and videos. It syncs with the Zune software on your PC.

that was bronco's "quick joke".  Hardly anyone bought a zune, let alone paid for downloaded music to it.   I know more people with the nickname "Zune", than I do Zune owners.

Yes, music and videos. It syncs with the Zune software on your PC.

that was bronco's "quick joke".  Hardly anyone bought a zune, let alone paid for downloaded music to it.   I know more people with the nickname "Zune", than I do Zune owners.

Ah. They don't even sell Zunes here in Canada. I don't know anything about the Zune devices (never seen one), but the subscription download service actually sounds pretty good. A friend in Seattle said he pays something like $12/month for all-you-can-eat music, which he listens to on his phone, his living room (via Xbox), or his PC. The devices all stay sync'd.

I know it is not an investment related topic or maybe it will turn into a nice discussion and show Apple's competitive advantage or not. I still would like if possible to tap into this board's knowledge and experience on the topic. The phone will be used mainly for phone calls, surfing investment sites (getting quotes/news), search on Google, e-mail.

Hi Cardboard,

That's exactly what I use my phone for and also listening to music.  Without a hesitation, I would recommend the iPhone.  It was way ahead of the competition when it first came out, and the user interface is still light years ahead of everyone.  I don't know why I was using anything else before.

It is very intuitive, which is what the best of the Smartphones out there still can't accomplish.  Web pages show up properly, there are tons of useful apps available at no cost or little cost, and I haven't had a single problem in almost a year of constant use.  The iPhone5 should be coming out in the next few months, so I would wait for that.  

My entire family has switched to the iPhone in the last year.  Alnesh who has always used a Blackberry is also considering switching, since there is an app where you can utilize Blackberry messenger through your iPhone.  I love it and will not use anything else.  Cheers!

Parsad - what were you using before?

I was on the Palm Treo since I could "surf the web".  It is the equivalent of a typewriter these days, except not as high tech.

The Iphone for email, IMO, is absolutely terrific.  The only downside to the Iphone is once you start using the Ipad, you will use the Iphone less.  The Ipad for the WSJ is simply awesome, netflix is great, browsing is great, email is the same as the Iphone, etc.  Even comcast has gotten it right with the Ipad.

Not saying I know much about other products (I don't), but the only thing that seemed interesting was the new HPQ tablet computer.  But that was based simply on a picture and a list of functions.

Apple TV is ok but not expensive.  Flipping your Ipad or Iphone material to your TV is pretty cool though.  Netflix is also nice.  Haven't rented a movie thru Itunes b/c what is the point - cable is the same thing.

Guest misterstockwell

Droid here--I use it for long periods at a time for internet use. Works great. I have no issues with browsing pages. Interface is completely logical and easy to use. It's fast, and has had no bugs in the time I have had it.

iPhone may be good, but it couldn't be much better than the Droid. I won't own any Apple products. Apple TV is a joke.

I eagerly await a WP7 phone at Verizon, and really look forward to the MSFT/NOK collaboration. WP7 gets great reviews, and Nokia knows how to make the hardware, distribute it, and service it. I liked the idea so much I bought NOK. It's cheap, and has a huge catalyst.

By the way, we own Zunes. Excellent product. Windows Media Center syncs music, recorded TV, pics, etc. Media Center does all our TV functions, extends out to Xbox's, streams Netflix, records 4 HD stations at once, etc.

Droid here--I use it for long periods at a time for internet use. Works great. I have no issues with browsing pages. Interface is completely logical and easy to use. It's fast, and has had no bugs in the time I have had it.

I have a Nokia Smartphone. I would describe it in almost same way.  Very logical, no bugs, very stable. Only problem is that every setting requires that you go through 10 cascading menu screens before you get to the option you want to change.  It takes me forever to access the features on the phone.  it is obviously designed by an engineer, not by a designer. (i am a tech guy too, but I appreciate things work efficiently like the iPhone interface).  I read this article yesterday and it drove home the same point.  Read the quote about the product demo using a cellphone to order a soda from a vending machine. it's just PAINFUL to use.  http://gigaom.com/2011/02/21/former-nokia-designer-nokia-bosses-have-no-taste/

Apple solves this problem by locking the platform and restricting the choices you have. They also limit the number of settings and features you have control over.  This makes it easier to use for 95% of users.  Unfortunately, I am the other 5%.

iPhone may be good, but it couldn't be much better than the Droid. I won't own any Apple products. Apple TV is a joke.

I eagerly await a WP7 phone at Verizon, and really look forward to the MSFT/NOK collaboration. WP7 gets great reviews, and Nokia knows how to make the hardware, distribute it, and service it. I liked the idea so much I bought NOK. It's cheap, and has a huge catalyst.

By the way, we own Zunes. Excellent product. Windows Media Center syncs music, recorded TV, pics, etc. Media Center does all our TV functions, extends out to Xbox's, streams Netflix, records 4 HD stations at once, etc.

Guest misterstockwell

Dear Mr. Ballmer,

We found the guy that bought more than 1 Zune.

Another Apple drone....shhhh...don't tell anyone about those iPad issues...it's still the perfect solution to problems we haven't made yet! HAHAHAHA! Mr. Jobs? Mr. Jobs?

I had an HTC Touch, which was garbage, and before that a Blackberry.  I've tested a bunch of other phones, and I don't like the user interface for any of them as much as I like the iPhone.  I also find it is a heck of alot more useful than an iPad.  Even if they add phone/cellular service to it and a camera, I'm not sure I would get much utility out of it.  But the iPhone is as useful to me as my laptop.  With those two items, I can work from anywhere.  Cheers!

Guest misterstockwell

I used to carry a laptop around on trips, but I can now run my business from my Droid with no problem. Internet, email, quote system, trading platform, instant messaging, etc.

Unfortunately, we still use paper for subscription documents and deposit slips that require signatures...so, I still need my laptop.  I can do pretty much everything else from my iPhone.  Although I prefer reading long documents on the laptop.  The iPhone is best for news, quotes, etc. 

I've got a brand-new super light notebook...less than two pounds and a 13.3" screen...just bought it a couple of months ago for $440!  Apple can't beat that!  Just an awesome chiclet keyboard.  Does a heck of a lot more than those netbook things.  Cheers!

Unfortunately, we still use paper for subscription documents and deposit slips that require signatures...so, I still need my laptop.  I can do pretty much everything else from my iPhone.  Although I prefer reading long documents on the laptop.  The iPhone is best for news, quotes, etc. 

I've got a brand-new super light notebook...less than two pounds and a 13.3" screen...just bought it a couple of months ago for $440!  Apple can't beat that!  Just an awesome chiclet keyboard.  Does a heck of a lot more than those netbook things.  Cheers!

May I ask what model of notebook you bought?  I'm looking to buy a lightweight notebook in that size range (13.3" or 12.1")

Hi Nodnub,

It's this one:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/toshiba-toshiba-satellite-13-3-laptop-featuring-amd-athlon-ii-neo-k325-processor-t230d-00w-red-t230d-00w/10161728.aspx?path=f647523e4228ff55d8851aa6a49ede12en02

It's still pretty cheap at $499 CDN.  I bought mine just after Boxing Day for $440.  Sorry, that should have also said 2 kilograms, not 2 pounds!  The keyboard is fantastic, and the laptop actually looks way better than in the pictures.  I really like it alot!  I looked around for a while, and for the money it's really a damn good laptop.  Cheers! 

Thank you guys for all the answers. I really appreciate it.

First of all, I will not buy a Windows 7 powered system. These guys have always, always put on the market untested products full of bugs. I hear that Windows 7 is a little better (I still guess it takes a couple hundred patches!) which I have not installed yet. Anyway, I did swear enough at Microsoft already for a life time.

So it leaves Google vs Apple. Sanjeev's testimony is pretty powerful since he uses it for the same purpose as I will. Then there are my friends who love to use Face Time and some other Apple apps. If I buy a Droid, I will always find some compatibility issues with their apps.

So I think I will go for the IPhone 4. And if I find that I miss something, I can simply sell the phone and buy a Droid which are a little cheaper while keeping the same 3 year plan with my wireless carrier.

Cardboard

Cardboard, if it were me, I'd go for the iPhone.

It's just a beautiful piece of hardware with an outstanding screen for reading and with a user interface that can't be beat.  I own GOOG, but Android has a ways to go before it can compete from a usability standpoint.

I definitely would not go with the Windows phone.  I can't stand the tile interface -- I think it sucks, big time.

Cardboard, it might worth the wait for the iPhone 5.  Rumor has it that it will have a larger screen and better camera.  The camera on the iPhone 4 isn't bad, but the new one is supposed to be 8 or 12 megapixels.  By the way, I thought Facetime would be gimmicky, but it is actually pretty cool.  I don't have it on my iPhone 3GS, but my Mom and brother use it all the time on their iPhone 4's.

To give you some idea how useful I find the iPhone.  As I mentioned in a past post, I started taking transit to and from work, Monday to Friday, about a year and a half ago.  Email, news, stock market quotes and even this board are all read by me on my 35 minute ride each morning.  No stress, I'm listening to music while doing all that, and the multi-touch screen on the iPhone works fantastic. 

When I arrive at the office, I'm actually an hour ahead of the game by the time I sit down.  On the way back home, same thing...catch up on the evening news, etc.  National Post, Globe & Mail (online), Financial Times, CNBC, Bloomberg and the message board all read on the way to work.  New York Times, CNN, TSN, CNET, the message board and anything else read on the way home.  No wasted time!  Cheers!

I have wanted one of these phones for at least a year now for the same reasons mentioned.  About a year ago I let my wife be the guinea pig -- she chose an android.  The carrier refuses to upgrade it -- so it is getting to the point where it is almost outdated already (unless we can somehow mod it ourselves).  The other problem is dismal battery life and from what I hear the iPhone and others are not much better.    

Another negative I have not seen mentioned here is iPhone's poor reception (at least for those on the other end) - I have seen a lot of negative comments on this issue. First and foremost a phone should be a PHONE -- so I would like good reception and better battery life.  As I understand it -- with heavy use, one has to develop a habit to plug these phones in each and every night  --  but I still worry that I will be without a 'PHONE' if I browse on it for a little too long, forget to plug it in one night, etc.  You see these screens get bigger, very nice but I am not sure the batteries are keeping pace let alone gaining ground.    

The other reason I have been hesitant to get the iPhone in particular is it's proprietary closed nature of it's iOS.  Something big might be developing on this issue when a couple weeks ago Apple rejected the Sony reading app.  Apple has given an ultimatum to all app's that are currently bypassing the iTunes store.... and redirecting the purchase through Safari, etc.  There is much speculation that the Kindle, Kobo and Barnes & Noble reading apps are all at risk of being tossed out --- leaving Apple owners with one single reading app (ie. iBooks).  This may come to pass but it is an interesting development to keep an eye on -- more should be known in a month or two.  Whether they go or not -- Apple is suddenly limiting the innovation of apps for iOS.  I am not sure where people are reading some of these newspapers mentioned but if it's app based -- there is a possibility that Apple will soon be picking up a royalty of 30% over and above --- and hence potential that content will also command a premium on Apple versus other mobile OS's.  Of course there is the alternative route to go through the Safari browser and manually bypass the extra Apple charges -- or to NOT make the actual content purchase on an iPhone or iPad - but that seems to really defeat the purpose of buying these devices to enjoy a very seamless experience.  Many publishers are up in arms over these latest tactics by Apple -- it not only effects ebooks but also comes about at a time when newspapers and magazines are moving toward paid content models.  

As it is, I figure that any of these phones will cost me +$1000 over a 3 year contract (including the $25/mo data plan + the outlay for the phone itself) - I don't want to pay a further premium for content as well.  Am just trying to be very cautious with this before getting locked in to either an iPhone or an android.  Incidentally, Google is partnering with Samsung where they should soon be introducing the Samsung Nexus S.  I am not sure if these Nexus branded phones are all hype -- but it is interesting to see Samsung partnering with Google this time around rather than HTC.