Fixing Congress

txlaw

I've got a question for everyone:  Was there ever a time in history, when neither Congress, nor the government had to be fixed? 

Yes, I'm being facetious.  My point being, if everyone knows what's wrong with it, then why is it never fixed? 

I was watching Letterman tonight, and Letterman asked Rumsfeld, who was his guest, how has Obama done so far?  He sat there for a good 20 seconds without saying anything, and then said..."Well, I'm truly concerned with what is happening.  This budget that has just been approved...somebody has to have the courage to do what is right."  The audience clapped.

My question is, how come no one in the last 35 years has had the courage to do the right thing?  I mean Bush was in government for eight years and Greenspan was on guard for like 20 years before Bernanke, but both Obama and Bernanke are the ones driving the country into the ground.  And no, I'm not picking on the Republicans, since Clinton encouraged much of the friviolity with Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, as well as helping create the Tech Bubble in the first place.

People believe that confirmation bias is prevalent in investing...well the truth is confirmation bias is simply anyone confirming their own theories by picking and choosing bits and pieces of history.  Perhaps Congress isn't actually broken.  Maybe the United States succeeds simply because it's citizens always think that everything their government does is wrong, and they have the right to be able to say so whenvever they want.  ;D  Cheers! 

Txlaw, thanks for posting that.  That is one of the best videos I have seen on politics in a long time...

Agreed.

Parsad. In America the masses have inmo been hoodwinked and we are basically getting the Government we deserve. Most Americans have a slight distrust of Government and many has a visceral hatred of it. No one wants to be taxed but everyone wants services.

Churchill had us pegged, We will do whats right when Moodys, S&P, and China tell us we must. Till then everyone will Monday morning quarterback (including me).

I would argue the 104th congress was the best we've seen.  At one point, they even proposed term limits for themselves (of course that slipped between the cracks).

We all know why our country is what it is - everyone wants a perk and politicians cater to votes as opposed to proper policy. 

Term limits for congressmen is a great start.  How about 4 years and get the F out. 

How about a decreased military?

How about a balanced budget amendment - can only spend what you earned the year before?

How about stop taking my money for SS - get your hands out of my pocket.  And thanks for the shitty investment return.

How about we take some responsbility for our health and our health care?

How about we take over Canada and sell off their oil assets? (ok, just kidding on this one).

if everyone knows what's wrong with it, then why is it never fixed? 

Because a system based on violence simply will never work. From the point of view of the average person anyway, government always works for the political class.  And wishing (or voting) really really hard, will not make it work, because it can't.  Sorry.

http://mises.org/rothbard/newlibertywhole.asp

--Eric

People believe that confirmation bias is prevalent in investing...well the truth is confirmation bias is simply anyone confirming their own theories by picking and choosing bits and pieces of history.  Perhaps Congress isn't actually broken.  Maybe the United States succeeds simply because it's citizens always think that everything their government does is wrong, and they have the right to be able to say so whenvever they want.   ;D  Cheers! 

Congress is definitely broken. 

But you're absolutely right that people tend to pick and choose facts in a way that confirms their own philosophical/ideological beliefs, often unconsciously.