Great Resource!

mpauls

Sorry this isn't specific to investments, but I think many of you will enjoy it. 

Archive.org (use the drop down to search)

I start on this page: http://www.archive.org/details/additional_collections

Its a free online library that offers pdf ebooks as well as mp3 audiobooks (human read). 

Notable audiobooks:

Benjamin Franklin's Autobiography

Adam Smith's Wealth of Nations

Sorry this isn't specific to investments, but I think many of you will enjoy it. 

Archive.org (use the drop down to search)

I start on this page: http://www.archive.org/details/additional_collections

Its a free online library that offers pdf ebooks as well as mp3 audiobooks (human read). 

Notable audiobooks:

Benjamin Franklin's Autobiography

Adam Smith's Wealth of Nations

Thanks, I'll check it out. I'm always looking for stuff to listen to on my commute.  A site I've been using for human read open source audio books is Librivox.org.  I recently listened to "Voyage of the Beagle" and "Origin of Species".

--Eric

Thanks also for the librivox.com pointer.  Gutenburg I knew of already or I would say thanks for that too!

Some great stuff on the internet.  Just yesterday, found a spark plug equivalence chart with Champion

plug number for my lawn mower, whereas Briggs & Stratton only list their own part number for plug.

Saves lots of trouble.  That must make for real business efficiency.  I know ... sounds like dot-com ...

but it is real, just the hype ran ahead of the real benefits.  Now we are getting the positives.  So the

view that economy is down rat-hole is short/medium term, and what we are seeing laid in are basis

for long term prosperity.  Say another 100 years, another 7x increase in standard of living?  Seems

unlikely, how can we use 7x more in western world.  Maybe means number of people worldwide who

benefit from middle class lifestyle can increase 7-fold.  Would be great.  Off topic from books even,

I guess ... so ... end of soap-boxing.  Thanks again for book resource pointers.

Thanks also for the librivox.com pointer.  Gutenburg I knew of already or I would say thanks for that too!

Some great stuff on the internet.  Just yesterday, found a spark plug equivalence chart with Champion

plug number for my lawn mower, whereas Briggs & Stratton only list their own part number for plug.

Saves lots of trouble.  That must make for real business efficiency.  I know ... sounds like dot-com ...

but it is real, just the hype ran ahead of the real benefits.  Now we are getting the positives.  So the

view that economy is down rat-hole is short/medium term, and what we are seeing laid in are basis

for long term prosperity.  Say another 100 years, another 7x increase in standard of living?  Seems

unlikely, how can we use 7x more in western world.  Maybe means number of people worldwide who

benefit from middle class lifestyle can increase 7-fold.  Would be great.  Off topic from books even,

I guess ... so ... end of soap-boxing.  Thanks again for book resource pointers.

Indeed.  A funny story. My 9 year old son as doing a project on the life of Babe Ruth in school (he got to choose the topic). So we got books from the library and looked up a bunch of stuff on the Internet.  Well, he wanted to include the fact that Hank Aaron broke the home run record and we wanted to know what year that was.  I thought this would be a good opportunity to teach him how to use an encyclopedia instead of looking things up on the Internet all the time.  So I explained to him that "a long long long time ago", back in the 1900's, before the Internet, when we wanted to find out about some fact (like when Hank Aaron broke the Babe's HR record) we'd look it up in something called an <i>encyclopedia</i>.  So I showed him our encyclopedia set that my wife's parents gave us ages ago and we proceeded to look up Hank Aaron....Only we couldn't find him in the A's, so we tried the H's... and nope still no Hank Aaron.  So we looked up Babe Ruth only to find out that he holds the home run record.  Yes, you guessed it,  the copyright date was 1964.  So back to the Internet again.  My kids can't imagine an Internetless life. I must admit, I have a hard time imagining living without it myself. How quickly we forget.  When was the last time you looked at a paper map (or bought one)?; or at a bound dead-tree encyclopedia set (or bought one)?; or read a company's quarterly report that you didn't get from the Internet?; or wrote a letter to a friend in long-hand on an actual piece of real paper and mailed it?; or drove across town to a video store to rent a movie?; or a million other things equally time-consuming and inconvenient in the pre-internet days that we now use the net for on a daily basis?  And many things we use the Internet for, like this list, don't even have a pre-internet analog.  It really <b>is</b> amazing if you think about it.

--Eric