Berkshire 13F

rogermunibond

Not really caring about his small investments.  Quick poll...next big purchase is:

1 Munich re

2.  Wrigley and mars

3.  Big utility

4.  Biglari holdings

5.  Other

I'll say that is #3 - broad category but it fits.

I say he cherishes #2 the most - just don't think those Mars weirdos will sell.  So I'll take general category #3.

Definitely Biglari Holdings. Let me bet it's CEO will get a chapter in the next edition Warren Buffett CEO book. It's the perfect fit. I've also got a scoop for you guys.....

Forget Watsa, Pabrai, Lu, etc. Biglari IS the next Warren Buffett!  :o

I'm just not sure if BRK is big enough to buy Biglari Holdings. What do you think guys?

I'd like to see the Munich Re deal happen. Buffett can no doubt invest the float much better than they can (even taking into consideration that there are few elephants), so that would probably give them a better ROE than they have now.

I'd also like to see Mars/Wrigley deal happen, but I don't know much about the owners of that business.. Anyone here has some backstory on why this isn't likely?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bronco

Looks like Buffett (and Sokol) may have been in on the UK utility purchase.  PPL won.

I still think this is where is focus will be.

In other words - what businesses will be around 20 years from now.  Pipelines.  Utilities.  Railroads.  This is the criteria.

Starting a new thread on Buffett.

In other words - what businesses will be around 20 years from now.  Pipelines.  Utilities.  Railroads.  This is the criteria.

I wonder if Buffett will try to buy Constellation Energy again. When Constellation went under in 2008 they tried to buy it but got outbid for it. The only problematic thing is Berkshire will have to get rid of the current management.

Looks like Buffett (and Sokol) may have been in on the UK utility purchase.  PPL won.

Hmm, maybe he'll use those Energy Future Holding bonds to establish Berkshire as a front runner to buy up the company.  That would certainly be an elephant.

Bronco I think you are on to something. Buffett seems focused on buying businesses he knows will be around in 20 years. You can quickly see the difference between him talking about BYD vs. Sees or Burlington. I dont think he likes complicated competition and prefers monopolies, and duopolies. It was very insightful when he said a good business is better than cash. I think many people gloss overit and think its gradpa Warren speak, but I have really spent sometime thinking about it and it makes perfect sense. I can now see why he held onto Coke despite the over valuation. Cash comes and comes for BRK, but there is only one Coke. I will churn and burn until I have the same problem (He still could have bought puts on Pepsi though).

Bronco I think you are on to something. Buffett seems focused on buying businesses he knows will be around in 20 years. You can quickly see the difference between him talking about BYD vs. Sees or Burlington. I dont think he likes complicated competition and prefers monopolies, and duopolies. It was very insightful when he said a good business is better than cash. I think many people gloss overit and think its gradpa Warren speak, but I have really spent sometime thinking about it and it makes perfect sense. I can now see why he held onto Coke despite the over valuation. Cash comes and comes for BRK, but there is only one Coke. I will churn and burn until I have the same problem (He still could have bought puts on Pepsi though).

Actually, all of his largest holdings have been around for over 100 years. :o

Guest Bronco

Yeah, he really has a different mindset than most of us.  Rightly so.  I can't afford a railroad like BNI.  I can't even afford a Fisher Price railroad set.

But my point is he buys a business, not a stock.  He bought Coke thinking he will get close to 10% of all the profits.  Not bad.  I wouldn't mind that.  If he sold, he may find better value, better current investments - but never a better business.

But others make good points - he has done different things over his career.  But right now I really think Berkshire is undergoing a major shift - become more like a GE but actually well capitalized.  GE in my mind will go down as the king of all shadow banks (maybe GS was the queen).  BRK was the opposite. 

So who knows what the future BRK will really look like.  But I think it will be awesome.  It owns a whole railroad for god's sake.  Instead of the crappy Dairy Queens and carpet and brick stuff, you'll see massive utilities, a big railroad, giant insurance of course, and maybe some huge medical device company or some twist we don't know about it. 

Perhaps we will see a future Berkshire Immobiliare.  That is what I see.

Not saying this will make the stock perform at a 15+% growth rate.  Just saying Immobiliare is coming.