Mubarek gone...

Alekbaylee

I dont see much in the short term. I think its short term overblown, but long term could be quite interesting. For now I am happy for the people of Egypt. Hopefully they follow thru and get the leadership they want / deserve.

I dont see it spreading to the richer gulf states. I mean 40% of Egypt lived on something like $2 a day and the president is worth $40 billion. Thats a bit much.

Guest broxburnboy

He won't have to worry about his pension however..apparently he has 70 Billion$ in foreign assets. His sons are also billionaires in their own right. I think this would make him the world's richest man.

For now I am happy for the people of Egypt. Hopefully they follow thru and get the leadership they want / deserve.

- Same here

I dont see it spreading to the richer gulf states.

Hard to say. Who would have predicted the recent events?

There are already some protests (although less vocal) in Bahrein, Koweit, Saudi Arabia & Al.

Tomorrow a big protest/march is planned in Algeria...

For now I am happy for the people of Egypt. Hopefully they follow thru and get the leadership they want / deserve.

- Same here

I dont see it spreading to the richer gulf states.

Hard to say. Who would have predicted the recent events?

There are already some protests (although less vocal) in Bahrein, Koweit, Saudi Arabia & Al.

Tomorrow a big protest/march is planned in Algeria...

I think there is some merit to the inflation arguments. The richer gulf states heavily subsidize their citizens. They will bitch a bit, but I dont see much coming out of it. When you live on $2 a day and inflation pushes the cost of food up you tend to be annoyed.

You also are annoyed when you go to school and cant find a job. All bets are off in the poorer Gulf states, I would bet more on Algeria and Yemen then Kuwait and Saudi.

Just my 2 cents, though  a bit overpriced.

I doubt that transition from military control will be an issue since it's unlikely to happen.  In a country with no democratic tradition, it's not a given that democratic rule is the next step.

http://feeds.tvo.org/~r/tvo/TxZN/~3/PxxxVVmViB0/1903508_480x270_512k.mp4

-O

I'm both surprised and glad that this happened as peacefully as it did -- though I worry a little about how the transition from military control will go...