A Real-Life Band of Brothers

Parsad

I agree with Parsad.  In a perfect world, it is pretty stupid but in the world filled with hatred and fear you need to have some force for good.  You just need to read any history of the past 100 years to realize how strong men can turn peaceful situations into killing fields.  I just read a book called "Bloodlands" about how Stalin and Hilter wiped out millions of Jews and other nationalities in Eastern Europe in 10 years.  After reading it, I am glad we have a civilian run force to counter balance the "other" side.  I just wonder if the so-called Iraq invasion created the catalyst for the current democracy protests.

Packer 

Guest broxburnboy

"before you go seeking revenge, first dig 2 graves" - old chinese proverb

Nowhere is this more true than in the invasion and occupation of Iraq/Afghanistan.

The whole world watches in stunned disbelief, as America bankrupts herself in this criminal stupidity.

I just wonder if the so-called Iraq invasion created the catalyst for the current democracy protests.

Packer 

Probably not. 7 years have passed and Iraq/Afghanistan never seemed to have a major direct influence on Egypt's government/public dynamic. I'm guessing that more credit should be given to the 20%+ inflation rates, high reliance on food imports, and government management of commodity quantities along the culture produced when government compensates by subsidising the food costs of 70% of the population.

Nowhere is this more true than in the invasion and occupation of Iraq/Afghanistan.

The whole world watches in stunned disbelief, as America bankrupts herself in this criminal stupidity.

Hey I said the same thing years ago on the Motley Fool BRK Board before the actual invasion, and I was pretty much lynched.  How many lives have been lost?  Both military and Iraqi/Afghani civilians.  Yet, the son of a bitch who started the whole thing is hiding out somewhere in a cave, and no one has found him yet.  I would much rather have seen hit squads sent out to assassinate Al Qaeda operatives (think Mossad), rather than invade Iraq.  Cheers!