Did anyone uderstand the rationale for issuing of AIG warrents?

vinod1

Has any one understood the rationale for AIG warrents issues to stock holders? These are issued only to private stockholders (at 0.53 warrents per 1 stock) so the US Govt with 92.5% stake is not getting any warrents. So it effectively means that the ownership of private stockholders is being increased at the expense of US Govt. To me it seems a scenario something like this seems to have happened: The US govt seems to be making quite a bit of money on AIG and much better than say in Freddie/Fannie or on the Banks and this is a backdoor way to reduce some of the US Govt profits and pass on some of the better than expected showing "profits" back to shareholders. I cannot think of any other reason for the issuance of the warrents.

Vinod

As I look at the supply imbalance developing for AIG stock plus the fact that they have sold most of  their best businesses, I get the feeling that it would be unwise to touch them even with a ten foot pole.

Thanks for the caution. I just digging into this in a little more detail as it is very intriguing due to size of Berkowitz's bet and no obvious undervaluation.

Vinod