Nicholas Financial (NICK)

bookie71

• 4 years later...

Has anyone been following this company? Seems like a very interesting special situation-ish company.

The company recently closed a dutch tender, reducing its share count by 38%. Note that 80% of shares were tendered, and combined with the thin liquidity (average daily volume of ~50k), this seems to be the perfect setup for non-fundamental selling, as event-driven guys sell.

This company seems to have all three characteristic of a value investment, unloved (subprime auto lending), unknown (50k average daily volume, adjusted market cap < $100m) and special situation (dutch tender).

Now to the interesting part, valuation.

The Dec 2014 10Q shows NICK has $155m in tangible capital. Since the company drew $70m from its credit lines for the tender, the new tangible capital is $85m ($155m - $70m).

Pre-tender, the company had 12.3m in share outstanding. Post-tender, 4.7m share were bought back ($70m/$14.86 per share), leaving the new share out 7.7m.

Currently trading @ $12.64 would mean that the P/TBV of this company is ~1.15x.

Downside seems pretty protected. It is interesting to know that the company recently rejected a $16 offer for the company.

Now, lets talk about the UPSIDE. Always exciting to talk about the upside.

Over the LTM, the company generated $15.9m in net income, which includes a non-tax-deductible (although it can be deducted in the later period) $1m professional fees. This fees are the fees relating to the potential sale of the business. This means the adjusted net income of this business is $16.9m or $2.20 per share ($16.9m/7.7m).

MEANING, this company is trading at 5.75x P/E. Run rate margin is approximately at average margin. So normalized P/E should be around the area too.

While I like to use comparable (CACC trading at 17x P/E), i think the business economics is just too different. NICK seems to have a more stringent underwriting threshold, combining quantitative factors (like most auto lenders do) and qualitative factors (interviewing the applicant). The result is a slower growth rate, as compared to CACC, but a more stable net profit margin (CACC STDEV % AVG is ~48%, compared to NICK's 20%).

Thoughts?

While I like to use comparable (CACC trading at 17x P/E), i think the business economics is just too different. NICK seems to have a more stringent underwriting threshold, combining quantitative factors (like most auto lenders do) and qualitative factors (interviewing the applicant). The result is a slower growth rate, as compared to CACC, but a more stable net profit margin (CACC STDEV % AVG is ~48%, compared to NICK's 20%).

Thoughts?

Interesting observation considering some emails I've received recently.  I've been included on a thread that's debating why NICK's credit quality has dropped and why it's getting worse.  I would say they have loosened significantly in the past few years, and that might be cause for concern, or maybe not.

I always appreciate the different perspectives, that's what makes a market!

Thoughts?

Interesting observation considering some emails I've received recently.  I've been included on a thread that's debating why NICK's credit quality has dropped and why it's getting worse.  I would say they have loosened significantly in the past few years, and that might be cause for concern, or maybe not.

Can you elaborate further on this point? The drop in credit quality. What metrics are you referring to?

Thoughts?

Can you elaborate further on this point? The drop in credit quality. What metrics are you referring to?

Lets shift the conversation to the other thread.

http://www.cornerofberkshireandfairfax.ca/forum/investment-ideas/nick-nicholas-financial/