farewell

Guest ericopoly

Guest ericopoly

Sanjeev,

I don't know how you ever got the idea that I was being underhanded and it frankly bothers me. 

I have a desire to clear up a misunderstanding.  Nothing more. 

You even misunderstood me when I said that you were calling me out -- I cannot reply because you've locked the thread.

But really, I think we started off on the wrong foot.  I feel you felt that I said things to Jack that I'm not prepared to discuss in front of everyone, OEC included.  This only leads me to believe that you must have missed my initial comment to OEC2000.  Here it is:

missing quote

Sanjeev, where did it go?  I either didn't really submit it or it was deleted somehow (perhaps by accident)?  Do you remember seeing it?  I truly did post it.  I believe we both have power to delete my posts, one or the other of us deleted it by mistake.  Or perhaps you were so sick and tired of me that you deleted it, not understanding the importance of the only public record that I had showing that I had said all of those things publicly?  I know Smazz mentioned that you have the power to delete posts, and I know you wouldn't use it spitefully.  However, it's possibly that you used it not understanding the implications for me.

There was even a followup post to it that has also been deleted -- in that one I apologized for crossing paths with your "thanks for not posting anymore" remark.  That might jog your memory.

I mentioned earlier that "using" were my exact words in that post -- now that I can't find the post...  well, it leads me to think that either I deleted it or you went back to that thread and maybe deleted it in person.

You were getting pretty mad on the thread, so maybe you never saw the post and now think I'm making it up.  Well, I have no proof now of the post, but suffice it to say I wouldn't have been so clear about using the exact same words in public or private if it wasn't so!  That would be ridiculously easy for somebody to call me out on and not worth the risk.

But you had a few more things to say and this one in particular was a misunderstanding:

Incidentally, I didn't call you out.  Jack posted the original perplexed post, and I just made a comment that all users should debate with each other in the open.

You then decided to pursue the issue.  And I'm almost certain you will have something to say after this post as well.  If not, then great we can all move on to the next topic.  Cheers!

Sanjeev, I think your first post was in fact perfectly reasonable.  So no disagreement there. 

The place I got the impression that you were calling me out was when you stated that it was "certainly immature" that I would "bash another member", this after already suggesting that if I misunderstood the intent of private messaging.  You suggested my misunderstand was grounded in a lack of "common sense".  At that point in time anyone reading your post might mistaken you for calling me out -- I sure did.  Your post was worded a lot stronger than anything Jack ever said (he merely said it was weird). 

You are now asking what would ever motivate me to want to contact jack (but you've locked me out so I can't reply).  Historically, I never took issue with Jack on any prior thread, even back on the original thread.  I thought he was getting the wrong conclusion from OEC's tone, but I was never sore at him for that.  You'll remember that with Jack I've told him that he's always been polite with me -- I would like to keep it that way so I am motivated to see if he realizes that OEC admitted that he was being hostile.

For all I know, Jack stopped reading the thread and never caught it.  So in contacting Jack, I'm thinking that Jack will realize that he mistakenly concluded that I "jump ugly" with people, and hopefully say so (I really don't want people to carry the impression that I do).  Why wouldn't he wish to clear it up, it's not like "jumping ugly" is a particularly flattering thing to falsely accuse somebody of it, do you think?  Would you want to dish that around without clearing it up?  Not me, however I'm not Jack.  I am personally surprised that OEC would have the gall to thank him for "backup" after leaving him out of the loop like that while Jack conveniently defended OEC's tone as innocous.  This isn't bashing Sanjeev, that's what OEC really did... it's the chronological sequence of how this played out.  That I consider to be an example of using someone.  The fact that you think it was a smear is why I'm explaining this, we may meet someday (not just an impersonal message board) and I'd like you to know that I don't do that to people.  It would certainly piss me off if I were Jack and were so used, but I'm not Jack and I simply wanted to see if that's how he understood it.  Like I told Jack, his mileage may vary (which is an invitation to feel free to disagree).

And I'm not sore at you personally Sanjeev, because I see you in a state of misunderstanding as to the purpose of the private message; you also backed off the initial harsh tone after realizing it was stronger than you wanted it to be.  I appreciate that but I really am not quite happy if you still harbor suspicion.

You ask why a 40 year old would behave this way?  It's just a matter of going through life hoping to fix up misunderstandings as they come along.  I have a right to refute any insinuations (bashing comment) you make if they are based on a misunderstanding (they are).  You may or may not agree with me on things, and I don't mind when you disagree, but if you do it in a way that doesn't lable me as unable to understand "common sense", or "certainly immature", or "bashing", then I can certainly deal with it;  else, I need to clarify because I don't like the labeling.

A lot has been made about a private message to Jack.  It's been suggested that it was a smear.  It was the moderator no less!  Sanjeev, I had dropped the topic but only kept on replying each time you suggested I was behaving improperly regarding my message's intent to Jack.  You have a right to feel that way, but you post those feelings publicly and it gives me the right to let people know that you have it all wrong (even if you still firmly believe I'm wrong).

I can understand that you wanted the thread dropped long ago, as I did.  You then start insulting me, characterizing me as "certainly immature", lacking "common sense", and "bashing".  This "bashing fellow board members" (paraphrasing) comment of yours regarding my message to Jack is what I meant when I said that both you and Jack had "calling me out".  You even innocently misunderstood that remark and figured I was talking about your very first innocent post.. but then without allowing me to correct even that misunderstanding you've locked the thread.  This notion that even something so basic as that got misunderstood leads me to believe that your mind is pretty made up and I have a lot of fresh explaining to do.  But you don't seem interested in hearing the full point... you're still angry after exhausting myself with explanations.  I presume you are angry because of your choice of words that I found to be essentially insults.

This sadly (from my perspective) is my last post.  You are a great bunch, I just can't unravel this misunderstanding.  Sanjeev suggested I have no common sense, he was calling me immature, he was (in public) summarizing the content of my message to Jack as bashing another board member (fully aware that nobody had even had a chance to read it yet), I kept responding to clear up the damage he was causing.  He makes a final post and locks me out.  It's perfectly within his right for him to do this (the board is his baby), but it doesn't sit well with me.  I know it's time to move on when the moderator is dissing me and insulting me for trying to explain my intent (his mind was made up). 

I came to this board as a shareholder of BRK, MKL and FFH back in the spring of 2005 if I recall correctly.  I have had plenty of enjoyment and learned a lot of valuable things.  Sanjeev, you have done a great job in providing this board and have done so unselfishly.  But I really do think of the people as real, want to have relationships as if we were coworkers that meet around a water cooler (or on the corner of Fairfax and Berkshire, as you put it).  But it's become too frustrating as you wield total power and I think you are abusing it in this instance as you know perfectly well that you were insulting me and that you can't expect not to get replies.

So, with that I am off.

Ericopoly & others..

We learn a lot from each other.

So please do not quit from posting.

The board is a great place due to knowledgeable posters like you.

Again, please reconsider and let cooler heads prevail from everyone involved...

Ericopoly:  I really do hope that you will reconsider your decision, given some time to think about it.  I believe it to be a real disaster for the board and all the other members that this situation developed.  I, for one, found the thread that upset you to be boring and hence I did not read most of it, even though I must admit I enjoy your other posts immensely and will miss your valuable contributions to this forum.  I hope other board member join me in telling you how much you would be missed.

Cheers, Granitepost

Eric,

That quote you are referring to, it is very possible that I did delete it as I was trying to end the running argument you, Jack and Oec were in at that point.  Thus I posted to leave it and move on to the next topic.  But you didn't, and eventually you messaged Jack.  On several occasions I've asked you now to leave the subject alone, yet you continue to post on it.  Notice how neither Jack, nor Oec continue the discussion.

If you've taken offense by anything any of us have done or said, then I apologize.  I don't know exactly what anyone else's intentions were, but I was simply trying to get you guys to stop.  Then you suggested that I was picking on you.  If you think that was the case, then once again...I apologize. 

That being said, if you decide to leave, then that is completely your choice.  Everyone is a grown adult here.  People have to act with a certain level of maturity.  To let things go.  I think everyone appreciates your efforts and posts.  I think there is alot we can learn from one another.  Good luck to you!  Cheers! 

I too would hate to see you leave Eric...

One of the challenges of any group is "getting along" - I've belonged to many organizations over the years and found that good folks, for whatever reason...choose to leave the group because of a disagreement. In virtually every circumstance the group and the person leaving loses because of it.

Eric

Take two weeks or so off & then come back.

Part of why this board works is the wide spread of opinions, & we need at least one other black sheep!

That said, one or two humble suggestions.

Rarely go more than 2-3 postings on a single thread; it just becomes too hard to follow

If the other guy hasn't got 'it' after 2-3 tries; he probably isn't going to 

Hopefully, we'll see the flock continue to grow.

Cheers

SD

OMG.

been away for a couple of days ... I guess a lot has happened.  :)

I don't have a clue what is going on. But I'll just go on posting merrily.

People ... Play the ball ... not the man. Criticize ideas not one another.

I don't know any of you personally, but Eric dude ... it's no big deal whatever happened.

Let's just forget about it and move on. Besides ... there are even less civilized boards on the internet ... yahoo boards aren't half as civilized as this.

In any event, and what occupies my mind is ... I think there are more important things to think about right now ... like how much money we can make with the markets at such a low point.  ;D

Cheers all. Let's be friends.  :)

Ericopoly,

I would personally rather not see you go and have learned much from you.  I agree with others that the message thread got way out of hand but was never heated enough to cause anyone to leave the board, especially not you being one who has been here a long time and contribute more than most here.

So, maybe we can focus more on tearing companies down and analyzing them and indeed, trying to see how much money we can make here in the next couple of years.  I started aggregating the amount of money I should make in the next few years and it really is quite ridiculous, especially for a 28 year old.

So, maybe we can focus more on company specific discussion seeing as how there are hundreds of stocks selling for less than 10% of what they sold for 6 months ago!  Pretty amazing stuff!

Guest ericopoly

Eric,

That quote you are referring to, it is very possible that I did delete it as I was trying to end the running argument you, Jack and Oec were in at that point.  Thus I posted to leave it and move on to the next topic.  But you didn't, and eventually you messaged Jack.  On several occasions I've asked you now to leave the subject alone, yet you continue to post on it.  Notice how neither Jack, nor Oec continue the discussion.

If you've taken offense by anything any of us have done or said, then I apologize.  I don't know exactly what anyone else's intentions were, but I was simply trying to get you guys to stop.  Then you suggested that I was picking on you.  If you think that was the case, then once again...I apologize. 

That being said, if you decide to leave, then that is completely your choice.  Everyone is a grown adult here.  People have to act with a certain level of maturity.  To let things go.  I think everyone appreciates your efforts and posts.  I think there is alot we can learn from one another.  Good luck to you!  Cheers!   

Here is the problem that bothers me and I think only Sanjeev can remedy it if he is willing to throw me a bone.  He created this problem by mistake, but it has changed the factual record in such a way that I have no defence for what I have been accused of.

The problem:

1) Sanjeev deleted my posts that contained a message to OEC, that message publicly notified him that I don't think Jack would appreciate being "used" like that.  The word "used" is what I wrote both publicly and once again in my private message to Jack.  In that private message I merely asked Jack if that's how he felt too (there was no additional escalation in the thread, and no additional innuendo).  Sanjeev took special notice of my usage of the word "used", which is why I'm clarifying the precedent of it's public use right in front of OEC's nose.  I even addressed my post to OEC!  Given all of this, nobody can then accuse me of not saying that right out front in public without my easily just referencing that thread... except that I was accused of that very thing by Sanjeev, and now the post has been deleted by Sanjeev.  So I'm basically fucked.

2)  Without this deleted posts, anyone stumbling upon this thread simply sees Sanjeev telling everyone that I smeared OEC. I effectively get lectured that it's lame to say things in private that I cannot be man enough to say online.  Of course, none of these accusations are true but after deleting my posts, it sure looks that way. 

The remedy:

Sanjeev, you might delete your posts accusing me of smearing him offline.  You've already deleted my defence.

Guest Broxburnboy

Men:

This is turning into the longest farewell since Bogart and Bacall in Casablanca.

It really is getting beyond silly... why don't we all bury the hatchet, sooth our own hurt feelings,

lock this thread and start anew.

These kind of dramas are strictly a bear market phenomena... no one bickers when things are going

well, but at least no one is diving out of Wall Street windows.

Cheers (sincerely)

Whatever state of archives, everything is quite clear on record now.

Hardly needs further elaboration.

Discussion / debate does not convince.  It merely presents some info,

maybe new persepective, useful for those who wish to consider it.

Water for the horse.  Drinking is own responsibility, not presenter's.

You're all each correct, in sense of sharing good view with others.

If you were bland, rough spots rubbed off on one another, would

not be nearly as honest in your opinions or helpful with thoughts.

Nuff said.  Sorry for soapboxing.  Have my own behaviour "features".

+1  Please, no more prima donnas and divas! ::)

Holy sh*t!  I've been mostly off-line for a couple of days, and I come back to read thread after thread of "he said she said" crap.

Cut the bickering from all sides, and let's just get on with making some money....

Eric,

You need to take a break from posting.  Stop for a week and then come back.  You are totally overreacting to something. 

No one here gives a heck what this discussion is about...neither what you are saying, nor what I am saying.  They are here to discuss investing, and this is a waste of energy from everyone's perspective.  At this moment, your emotions are obscuring that.

As I've already said, all I was trying to do was get you to stop the arguments between you, Oec and Jack.  They've stopped, but you keep going.  If there is a missing post, or I've said anything to insult your standing with your peers here, I apologize. 

This is not my usual self...normally you would be gone by now, because the sheer amount of time spent on this is not what this forum is about.  I'm asking you to do something different than what you are currently doing.  Take a break, and come back.  Thanks.

Ericopoly, that's right. After having reading all of the posts regarding the issue between you and some others, I still don't know what's going on, and honestly I don't care that much (not you and the others, but the issue itself).

So here is my 2 cents advice:

They say that night sleep is a good advisor. Just take time to breath and relax, enjoy having some of the best jockeys in the world (BRK, FFH and MKL) to invest your money on your behalf (by the way, that's what I do me too) and come back in a few days/weeks. You will be surprised how old this sad story will have become and guess what? I'm confident that you will be happy to post and we will be happy to read you just as usual.

Cheers!