Your returns in 2010 poll

shalab
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Let us do a poll now that 2010 is over. The question is not the growth of AUM ( assets under management ) but return on invested capital.

For comparison - the returns on the following securities is as follows:

SP500 (US) index: 15.06% including dividends

BRKb: ~21%

FRFHF: ~6% including dividends

RSP - SP500 with equal weight: ~22% including dividends

IJS - iShares Smallcap Value: ~26% including dividends

Roughly here were my winners:

EH.TO = 20%

XDM.TO = 20%

BRK.B = 20%

FFH.TO = 12%

ESV = 13%

NWLI =13%

SBSI = 18%

XIC = 13%

Total compounded is about 22%. Never under 10% Cash and about 30% right now. I will be happy with 5% return in 2011.

This year has been great, like the last 2 years. I have had more bad lucks then good lucks but that's what so great when you have a big margin of safety. There are no ways I can expect those kind of returns in the long run especially with the amount of cash I have now.

Regards

BeerBaron

A year isn't a long time to measure, but I'll take the 23% return Quicken computed for me.

High-yield bond and preferred baskets did well - up 26% and 34% respectively

Several hi-yield stocks (FLY, BBEP, EVEP GLAD, PRM) and a reit index fund added 53% and 25%

GE Options were up 54%

China coal basket was up 40%

Core Stocks (FFH, LUK, WFC, BAC, SU, and others) added 10%

Emerging Mkts +7%

Shipping basket lost 12%

Lesson learned - Perhaps too heavily concentrated in FFH...Basket of FFH, BRK & LUK would have added several percentage points to results.

Going forward it will be difficult to match these results without taking on more risk because pfds and bonds are nearing fair market values. Extending the 15% tax on dividends helped me make the decision to maintain my bond and pfd positions. Besides I enjoy sleeping!

One of my good friends, el_chieh, who rarely posts here or reads this board anymore, absolutely hit it out of the ballpark this year with a 50% return. Especially happy about this since I recommended him to my Australian friend, who moved the bulk of his nest egg over to him at the beginning of the year.  He also writes very independent minded investor letters.

His big winner was IDT.C which I never bought. I watched this stock climb from 4 dollars to 27 dollars this year.  Definitely kicking myself for not pulling the trigger on that one.

Anyhow, 2010 was a great year...highly skeptical about 2011.

Good year.  Up just above 50%, I think, on average in the different accounts.  Almost all the gains were in insurance stocks and long dated total return derivatives on them.  30% of starting capital was in very liquid TAFC for most of the year.  This only returned about 16%, but much better than the alternative, cash.  All but one (BRK) of the insurance stocks were deep values, good businesses, over reserved, no long tail liabilities, good to great managers with lots of skin in the game and an owner's orientation, selling below the value of their highly liquid net assets as the management bought back stock.  Two of these, BRK and BRE were quick in and outs arbitraging highly probable events.

Guest broxburnboy

Up 94.2% (non inflation adjusted USD terms) in 2010 on the USDBear/inflationist/gold as money theory.

Damn pesky "macro" realities.

Junior Precious Metal stocks proved the main drivers.. Mirasol Resources (MRZ-T), North Country Gold (NCG-T) the shining stars.

Sprott Inc (SII) my largest holding.  No financials, sold FFH back at 380$.

Expect PMs to cool off this year as the "hot" money runs to oil, continuing inflation will be blamed on an oil bubble. The "inflation tax" will continue to be collected from those holding cash and worse, sovereign debt.

Since I live in Alberta, my whole lifestyle including "free" medical care, low taxes and firm property values are supported by the rising price of oil, so I see little need to pile into oil&gas. I plan to diversify into other commodity based businesses, play good defense on the cash flow front. Best to all this coming year.

109% here with a small pool of money and concentrated portfolio. Winners included DEX.de, AMA.au, S4A.DE.

Very interesting returns Boaxiaodo. I have never seen any of those names, will have to spend more time looking overseas at some point.

Expect PMs to cool off this year as the "hot" money runs to oil, continuing inflation will be blamed on an oil bubble. The "inflation tax" will continue to be collected from those holding cash and worse, sovereign debt.

Since I live in Alberta, my whole lifestyle including "free" medical care, low taxes and firm property values are supported by the rising price of oil, so I see little need to pile into oil&gas. I plan to diversify into other commodity based businesses, play good defense on the cash flow front. Best to all this coming year.

I really dont like the moves in oil. I feel like there is a legit supply demand issue coming but this is all a bit too fast. Being in Houston you have to feel glad about rising oil prices, but man are we moving. Drillers are ordering rigs, M&A is picking up, and it seems like the boom is back on. I am seeing wierd $120 predictions also. QE2, and a lack luster world wide recovery appear to be driving up speculation. Its been nice for my port, but I am now grossly overwieght and will have to start trimming. Hopefully my timing is better than last time  ;).

I had 25-30% in 2010.  I can't work it out because I'm on the lamest internet speed ever devised in modern times (satellite).  The "Disney Magic" ship charges you on time instead of volume downloaded -- for a reason!

The Bahamas are nice.  I think this is where Tempelton lived?  Feels like summer.

My 2011 gains (3 days worth) are 8.79% (I'm using SmartMoney.com to track my gains from now on so there is no error from withdrawals).  It kind of feels like a blow off top in terms of the speed at which things are going up, but my gains are from C, BAC, and SSW -- none of them are expensive.  So I will hold and ride out the ups and downs.  Hopefully more ups.

just over 20%. would have been better but I have a decent chunk of my portfolio tied into FFH  - on the other hand I guess that now gives me some sort of stability - who would have said that about FFH a few years ago?

I was also hampered by my usual indecision, procrastination and poor timing. I need to work on changing that - or convincing myself that they are actually good things :D

I've had a couple of damn good years.  Using Fidelity's "Person rate of return" feature, it will report my return for any time period in the last 24 months.

01/01/2010 to 12/31/2010 = 21.2%

01/06/2009 to 01/05/2011 (the longest period Fidelity will allow me to calculate it) = 107.2%

One of my best trades this year was buying Netflix $120 2012 calls on July 22nd for $21.10 and selling half of them on Oct 21st for $66.95 and the other half on Nov 22nd for $78.00.

This past year I also did well selling BH around $380;

holding CMG (100+%), SAM (100+%), FRFHF.PK, MIDD (~80%), HDB(~40%); and

buying XOM at $59.56

Now, if only I could do those kinds of returns consistently...

--Eric

52%

ATSG was my biggest winner by far.

I'm now well over my high water mark.  That wasn't the case at the end of 2009.

I'm very optimistic about my portfolio going forward and am close to fully invested at this time, though that will change as cash flows in.