japan vs us population and economic growth

shalab

From 1990 - 2009, US population increased by 23% whereas the Japanese population increased by just 3%. Since economic growth is a function of population growth as well, continued population growth in the US will imply less memory of the great recession as time progresses.

Any other thoughts on this?

chart comparing US, Japan and German population growth.

http://www.google.com/publicdata?ds=wb-wdi&met=sp_pop_totl&idim=country:JPN&dl=en&hl=en&q=japanese+population#met=sp_pop_totl&idim=country:JPN:DEU:USA

I take it you don't mind the Fed's QE2 program then? Given population is gonna solve all our problems.

Nevertheless, you don't see any westerners in Japan, despite the fact that they are one of the leading economies of the world. US isn't closed off a society as Japan is, and immigration makes a difference definitely. e.g Singapore

I take it you don't mind the Fed's QE2 program then? Given population is gonna solve all our problems.

Nevertheless, you don't see any westerners in Japan, despite the fact that they are one of the leading economies of the world.

You can always spot a Westerner in Tokyo from far away. He is the only one not wearing a suit. But you're right very, very few Westerners there. I think a large part of the reason for that (aside from its geography relative to USA/Europe) is that it is too expensive!

I thought I'd share this link I came across:

http://2010.census.gov/2010census/data/

It's a terrific way to see which state are experiencing population growth from decade to decade.  Just mouse over the state to see the rate of growth.

My own state of Washington grew 14.1% over the past 10 years.  It won't take long for the housing supply to be absorbed at that rate.

What I find astounding is that Nevada grew it's population by 63.8% between 1970-1980, 50.1% between 1980 and 1990, then by 66.3% between 1990-2000, and yet again by another 35.1% between 2000-2010.  No wonder Nevada had a high amount of housing speculation!