Markel Acquires RD Holdings

Parsad

That part of Markel is growing. They first bought a business in bakery equipment and bought shares in a privately owned local  financial services company few years ago. Then, for some time, they were quite quiet, waiting for better prices. But since a year or so, you see some news like that from time to time. Block after block, Markel is diversifying it's streams of cash flows.

Cheers!

Guest dealraker

Parsad,

You should (throwing out the should's?  Yes I am!) write more about Markel from time to time.  I've been a shareholder for a long, long time but because of valuation (not today's valuation but for many years) I sort of "just didn't think about it."  But today's valuation, or just recently, isn't awful so...

I used to think I knew a lot about the business other than the basic business model (of investments to equity, long tail float, etc.) but that's long gone now.

I've followed Markel for nearly as long as I've owned Fairfax, and used to attend their meetings every year in Omaha.  I've never owned Markel shares though until a few months ago.  We bought just barely above book value, and I'm happier owning it than Biglari Holdings!  It should trade around 1.3-1.6 times book, so we expect it to go up some more.  Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...