Anyone own a kindle?

Zorrofan

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does this mean that you can only buy books on Kindle's 3G network but you cannot really surf and check email? It does not seem to me that it is that great Kindle option. I have the same dilemma as some of the other users: I want to carry just one device to read pdfs and ebooks. From wjhat I heard form a friend, Kindle is good for reading books and not that good for reading pdfs.

You can email or surf (kinda) on the 3G network used by the various Kindle devices.  But the browser is very slow and simple (more like the Lynx browser from the 1990s).

If you want books, pdf, email, Internet surfing, anywhere - then there is only the iPad Wifi+3G.

If you want books, pdf, rudimentary email/Internet, anywhere - then you can consider the Kindle DX.

Is there anyone in the crowd that has played with the Kobo from Chapters/Borders?  I see that they recently released a new version that's faster, includes Wi-Fi, has an upgraded screen, and a couple other features. 

I've thought about getting one myself because I love (1) ePub access and (2) its lighter weight, and all-else-equal I'm happy to support a Canadian underdog.  But I've  held off purchasing because my reading is mostly non-fiction and I think I'd really miss the ability to search.  Besides storage, search/scan capability is the primary motivator for e-reading. 

The "simplicity by design" paradigm of Kobo really limits the device's expandability.  I know the people at Kobo are more interested in selling e-books than devices, but if the whole world (including local libraries) goes Kindle then Kobo won't have books to sell.

Kobo seems to have attracted a loyal cult following. It's just hard to imagine them taking much market share when their device is priced similarly to Kindle and offers a lot less.  I think they'll have to drop the price substantially to compete -- to $99 or something.

It will be interesting to see where the market goes.  It seems there are plenty of Kindle users who want ePub readability (inc. Adobe DRM)  but these same people don't seem to be rushing out to buy Kobos (or Nooks etc.).

It will be interesting to see where the market goes.  It seems there are plenty of Kindle users who want ePub readability (inc. Adobe DRM)  but these same people don't seem to be rushing out to buy Kobos (or Nooks etc.).

I have a Nook.  It is excellent for book reading (fiction and non-fiction) and has a rudimentary slow browser for web access.  I couldn't live without the ePub support, so I will never switch to Kindle.  I've never actually bought a book from B&N, all of my books are either epub or pdf,  but like the smaller Kindle you can't comfortably read SEC filings, I've tried, the tables and charts are too small to read. Books in pdf format with only text are fine, but other pdf files are difficult.  I still read them on my desktop or laptop.  I've never used an ipad or the KindleDX, so I can't comment on those.

--Eric

Is there anyone in the crowd that has played with the Kobo from Chapters/Borders?  I see that they recently released a new version that's faster, includes Wi-Fi, has an upgraded screen, and a couple other features.   

I've thought about getting one myself because I love (1) ePub access and (2) its lighter weight, and all-else-equal I'm happy to support a Canadian underdog.  But I've  held off purchasing because my reading is mostly non-fiction and I think I'd really miss the ability to search.  Besides storage, search/scan capability is the primary motivator for e-reading.   

The "simplicity by design" paradigm of Kobo really limits the device's expandability.   I know the people at Kobo are more interested in selling e-books than devices, but if the whole world (including local libraries) goes Kindle then Kobo won't have books to sell.

Kobo seems to have attracted a loyal cult following. It's just hard to imagine them taking much market share when their device is priced similarly to Kindle and offers a lot less.  I think they'll have to drop the price substantially to compete -- to $99 or something.

I bought my wife the original Kobo when it first came out in the spring - she loves it!  The original Kobo is actually already been knocked down to $99 -- but according to Indigo's online shopping site appears to be temporarily out of stock because of this price drop.

I have owned a position in IDG dating back 5-6 years when it could be had in the low $4's.  So I follow Kobo fairly close -- (I feel it is a significant hidden asset which could possibly be spun off to an IPO eventually).  Kobo has big plans -- they feel that when all shakes out there will be 3 global e-book content providers and they intend on being one of them.  Kindle will not rule this market like Apple achieved with itunes.  Kobo is beginning to appear everywhere.  They have worked with Samsung on their Galaxy and will be prepackaged with this 7" tablet due out shortly.  Same thing with RIM's playbook that was recently announced.  Not only will Kobo be prepackaged with it -- they have also created some sort of social media to go along with it.  Kobo is also being prepackaged with the HTC Desire HD smartphone -- and Kobo says to expect more announcements as such.

The Kindle, Nook, Sony, etc strategies are very device based.  Kobo is very content based - and they are definitely executing on their 'powered by kobo' strategy.  Anyone considering purchasing a Kindle should realize they are probably tied into Amazon forever --- and for at least the present they cannot access library books.  Nook, Sony, Kobo are all interchangeable in terms of where you can shop -- they have adopted the open 'epub' platform.  This whole ebook evolution is just beginning - but I don't think you have to worry much about Kobo not being here some years down the road.  Amazon will no doubt be the dominant closed platform player; however, it is looking more and more as though Kobo will be the dominant open platform player (at least on a global basis).  It is certainly a David vs Goliath story going on here; however, unlike B&N's strategy Kobo is not attacking Amazon head on --- they are creating their own market through these partnerships such as Samsung, RIM, HTC and many more to come.

I have had the lend of a Kindle DX and an ipad for the last few days. Two great devices, but they do different things.

If you're looking for a device purely for reading, then the Kindle DX is the only way to go. The e-ink technology really is like reading off paper, I read annual reports off it for a good 5 hours on the trot with no problems whatsoever. Don't forget, when you buy a Kindle, you have free internet for life too. That is incredibly handy if you're on the move.

The ipad is a more all-round device. If you're looking for a colourful, contrasty internet browsing experience with full multimedia, then it's great. You can watch films on it, muck around with apps, etc. the sky really is the limit. While reading off it is perfectly fine, my eyes just felt so much less strain with the Kindle.

Personally, I have just ordered the Kindle DX for reading, and will stick with my laptop for day to day work. If you're a heavy-duty reader like me, your eyes will thank you for the Kindle ;D

How did the DX handle the charts, tables, and graphs in a typical annual report? Did it read generally as smoothly as it would on paper? And, to finish my interrogation, how were the annotation capabilities?

Anyone have experience with other e-book readers used for this purpose?

I read HP is coming with a tablet to be released 1Q11.

http://mcpmag.com/articles/2010/10/25/hp-ships-windows-7-based-slate-pc.aspx

Excerpt from above link...

Shortly after Ballmer introduced the prototype (Slate), HP, started releasing videos promoting the new device. The company went dark on its slate plans after announcing it was acquiring Palm Inc., for $1.2 billion and indicating it would release a slate based on Palm's webOS platform. Now the company is targeting its webOS-based slates at consumers and the Windows Slate 500 at business users. HP said it will release the webOS-based slate in the first quarter of next year.

There are so many of these devices due out.  Here is a spreadsheet (updated regularly) of all the tablets due out (in android format alone!!):

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=tEHKyz7d6FqqhgrujfHtCiA&hl=en#gid=75

Interesting to note that Kobo is coming prepackaged with the Cruz Reader and tablet, Viewsonic and Samsung Galaxy (I expect more announcements with many of the other players).    I have mentioned this before in another thread that Kobo's goal is to become 'the' engine where much of the global trade of digital reading content takes place.  'Powered by Kobo' could become as popular as 'Intel Inside'.  We are in the very early days -- from a value investor's point of view these devices are very expensive compared to what they will cost in a few years.

I wonder why the eInk readers are so expensive? There is almost no computing power needed and it trades at about the same price per square inch then a LCD.

I have two theories:

-Main patents are still active

-Low supply of producers

BeerBaron

Prime View International (a Taiwan firm) owns the eink technology.  About a year ago it was estimated the cost of the screen alone was $50 .... but that figure has been coming down steady as volumes increase and alternative devices create competition.  

And for what it's worth Kobo is again leading the price drops as evidenced by the original Kobo now reduced to $99 at Borders -- with the $140 wireless version including 4-5 free ebook purchases.

I have had the lend of a Kindle DX and an ipad for the last few days. Two great devices, but they do different things.

If you're looking for a device purely for reading, then the Kindle DX is the only way to go. The e-ink technology really is like reading off paper, I read annual reports off it for a good 5 hours on the trot with no problems whatsoever. Don't forget, when you buy a Kindle, you have free internet for life too. That is incredibly handy if you're on the move.

The ipad is a more all-round device. If you're looking for a colourful, contrasty internet browsing experience with full multimedia, then it's great. You can watch films on it, muck around with apps, etc. the sky really is the limit. While reading off it is perfectly fine, my eyes just felt so much less strain with the Kindle.

Personally, I have just ordered the Kindle DX for reading, and will stick with my laptop for day to day work. If you're a heavy-duty reader like me, your eyes will thank you for the Kindle ;D

How did the DX handle the charts, tables, and graphs in a typical annual report? Did it read generally as smoothly as it would on paper? And, to finish my interrogation, how were the annotation capabilities?

Anyone have experience with other e-book readers used for this purpose?

The Kindle will do charts, tables and graphs just fine - no colour though.

The screen really has to be seen to be believed. Just take a macro lens to both and you'll see why the Kindle is just so good.

As for annotations, the Kindle lets you annotate everything but PDF.

Like I said, the Kindle is a dedicated reading device and it does this very well. If you want to be able to "do more", then you should really consider a laptop/netbook/ipad.

I feel as though I am getting older and technology is passing me by. I need some sort of device and am thinking of getting a netbook for planes, car rides, and what not. I dont read enough away from the computer to justify an ereader though maybe it would help on the eyes. Really an Android device that played movies, surfed the web, and what not would be perfect.

What do you all think of netbooks.

I feel as though I am getting older and technology is passing me by. I need some sort of device and am thinking of getting a netbook for planes, car rides, and what not. I dont read enough away from the computer to justify an ereader though maybe it would help on the eyes. Really an Android device that played movies, surfed the web, and what not would be perfect.

Not really a netbook but the new Macbook Air looks pretty awesome as a secondary PC for the kinds of tasks that you described.

I don't really see a point in them, or the ipad for that matter.

For me, I have a Dell desktop PC in the office for the day to day work, lots of memory, fast cpu and dual 21" monitors.

If I'm traveling, I have a 13 inch MacBook. It's just as portable, does everything the ipad does and much, much more.

My phone is my personal organizer/diary/mp3 player/feed reader/internet on the go/etc. device

My ipod and netbook have been demoted to dust gatherers.

Myth, I bought a netbook last year. I find it a bit slow but it goes forever on a charge (6-8 hrs), which is an important factor (it is an Asus eee). I used it while on vacation in Hawaii this Spring and found it to be excellent. I could get on the web and check things and use my email. I also set up with Skype and it allowed me to call anywhere for little or nothing. The netbook comes with a decent webcam and I was able to make video calls (free) back to the East Coast with no problems at all. I also use it when travelling on weekends - like the ad says "don't leave home without it". It is small enough to easily pack in a pouch on a carry on. I have been thinking about a Kobo, etc, but I'm not sure that the two are really interchangable.

cwericb, thats what I was thinking. I have a work trip abroad that has an hour car ride each day, and also am thinking about a vacation in December for 2 weeks. It seems like it will be quite useful for $200. I may have to just try one out for 1 month or so.

Couple of things, mine cost about $300. I did a lot of research and found that the Asus was probably one of the best. You probably want to get something with good battery life -watchout for the chepies or ones that are power hungry. My netbook has Bluetooth which I found useful as I bought a cheap Bluetooth headphone & mic combo that allowed me to use Skype without being wired directly to the netbook. Also remember that with wireless internet you either have to be within range of free 'hotspots' or pay for a roaming setup.

I bought an ASUS 10.1 inch netbook recently.  The vast majority of netbooks have a 10.1 inch wide-aspect screen with a resolution of 1024x600.  I was disappointed by the vertical real estate of the 600 pixels. I spend too much time scrolling up and down trying to read parts of webpages that are designed to be read at once on a single screen.

I really wish I spent the extra $150 and got a 12-inch netbook. Asus makes some of these and so does Lenovo (although the Lenovo model S-12 can be difficult to find on their website).

I also dislike the crippled version of Windows 7 Starter that came with the netbook I bought.  I would pay more to get a full version such as Windows 7 Home Premium or Pro.