Gabelli

bargainman

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

If you look objectively at Gabelli's compensation I think you would conclude that he is underpaid. Either that or he sold the stock too cheap when he went public. Either way Gabelli got the short end of the deal. This is very different from Sardar Biglari.

If you look objectively at Gabelli's compensation I think you would conclude that he is underpaid. Either that or he sold the stock too cheap when he went public. Either way Gabelli got the short end of the deal. This is very different from Sardar Biglari.

How so?  Even if he did sell the stock too cheaply, that would be his own fault.  He did get sued by Mancheski over the pre-IPO funding.  Regardless, he can't make up for it by excessive compensation.  For the 10 years I have followed Gamco, it always seemed obvious that their margins were a bit lower than other asset managers, and that Gabelli was the reason.  When you think the company is worth more if the key person gets hit by a bus, then you know the person's compensation is excessive.

On a side note I do find Gamco interesting.  The proposed split should unlock some value.