Age of board members

beerbaron
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

For the ones that want to question how does one calculate it's age I would use the following calculation.

Current Date-Birth Date = Age  ;)

LOL - What if my birthday is tomorrow and its on the edge of one of the cutoffs. I think it may be misleading.

In the spirit of the other thread. Should we add 5% to age for the amount of grey hair a person has?  ;D

Sure, as long as I can also take 50% off for the paucity (maybe poverty would be a more appropriate word given the obssession of this board with wealth  ;D) of hair.

Alternatively, since age is a liability rather than an asset, I will declare my age as zero!

My current Net Age is 40. 

Some people think this is a very straight forward calculation, such as taking the difference between the current year and the year you were born.  Unfortunately, it is not that simple as I currently do not generate any income, just expenses.  Therefore, to properly calculate my Net Age I must adhere to GAAP principles and subtract this future liability to determine my (GAAP) current Net Age.  Of course, my GAAP Current Net Age is not equal to the number of years I have been on this planet because the total number of years that I have been on this planet is ignoring my future liabilities, that I may or may not have.  For example, if I were to die today, my obituary would read that I died at the ripe old age of 40.  The reason why my obituary would read that way is because the future hasn't happened and no one cares how old I MIGHT have become.  The simply wanted to know how old I was on the day I died. 

Let's get back to the calculation of my GAAP Current Net Age.  Assuming I used to earn $100k per year and each $10,000 has a Net Present Value (NPV) of 1 year ($100,000 / $10,000 = 10 years) than I am really only 30, not 40. (unless of course, I was supposed to add the 10 years and not subtract it?) 

Therefore, I voted that I was 30  ???  because if I voted that I was 40, I would only be deceiving myself as it mis-states my true current Net Age (according to GAAP) as I have no current income.

:)

In keeping with the theme-

How many have actually read the date on their birth certificates?  I was born outside of my present resident country and I cannot actually recall the date on the certificate.  Actually, following GAAP, the date should be verified by an independent third party.  I am beginning to think there could be rampant fraud in this poll.  I am also beginning to think I may have problem for finding this thread entertaining.     

Some people think this is a very straight forward calculation, such as taking the difference between the current year and the year you were born.  Unfortunately, it is not that simple as I currently do not generate any income, just expenses.  Therefore, to properly calculate my Net Age I must adhere to GAAP principles and subtract this future liability to determine my (GAAP) current Net Age.  Of course, my GAAP Current Net Age is not equal to the number of years I have been on this planet because the total number of years that I have been on this planet is ignoring my future liabilities, that I may or may not have.  For example, if I were to die today, my obituary would read that I died at the ripe old age of 40.  The reason why my obituary would read that way is because the future hasn't happened and no one cares how old I MIGHT have become.  The simply wanted to know how old I was on the day I died. 

Let's get back to the calculation of my GAAP Current Net Age.  Assuming I used to earn $100k per year and each $10,000 has a Net Present Value (NPV) of 1 year ($100,000 / $10,000 = 10 years) than I am really only 30, not 40. (unless of course, I was supposed to add the 10 years and not subtract it?) 

Therefore, I voted that I was 30  ???  because if I voted that I was 40, I would only be deceiving myself as it mis-states my true current Net Age (according to GAAP) as I have no current income.

Broxy, any response to this?

Guest broxburnboy

Some people think this is a very straight forward calculation, such as taking the difference between the current year and the year you were born.  Unfortunately, it is not that simple as I currently do not generate any income, just expenses.  Therefore, to properly calculate my Net Age I must adhere to GAAP principles and subtract this future liability to determine my (GAAP) current Net Age.  Of course, my GAAP Current Net Age is not equal to the number of years I have been on this planet because the total number of years that I have been on this planet is ignoring my future liabilities, that I may or may not have.  For example, if I were to die today, my obituary would read that I died at the ripe old age of 40.  The reason why my obituary would read that way is because the future hasn't happened and no one cares how old I MIGHT have become.  The simply wanted to know how old I was on the day I died.  

Let's get back to the calculation of my GAAP Current Net Age.  Assuming I used to earn $100k per year and each $10,000 has a Net Present Value (NPV) of 1 year ($100,000 / $10,000 = 10 years) than I am really only 30, not 40. (unless of course, I was supposed to add the 10 years and not subtract it?)  

Therefore, I voted that I was 30  ???  because if I voted that I was 40, I would only be deceiving myself as it mis-states my true current Net Age (according to GAAP) as I have no current income.

Actually in the example quoted, if his current aging (cash flow) is negative (his current age is generating negative age going forward).. he is dead...

and mistaken about the state of his current net age... it is, for GAPP purposes, zero not 30.

It is a liability insofar as it will continue to generate negative age flow (years since zero net age)  

He needs to vote again... but that is problematic given the state of his current negative age flow.

RIP

PS. The likelihood of his generating age going forward (future age flow) is nil. This is the reason dead people are not considered an investable age asset.

Some people think this is a very straight forward calculation, such as taking the difference between the current year and the year you were born.  Unfortunately, it is not that simple as I currently do not generate any income, just expenses.  Therefore, to properly calculate my Net Age I must adhere to GAAP principles and subtract this future liability to determine my (GAAP) current Net Age.  Of course, my GAAP Current Net Age is not equal to the number of years I have been on this planet because the total number of years that I have been on this planet is ignoring my future liabilities, that I may or may not have.  For example, if I were to die today, my obituary would read that I died at the ripe old age of 40.  The reason why my obituary would read that way is because the future hasn't happened and no one cares how old I MIGHT have become.  The simply wanted to know how old I was on the day I died.  

Let's get back to the calculation of my GAAP Current Net Age.  Assuming I used to earn $100k per year and each $10,000 has a Net Present Value (NPV) of 1 year ($100,000 / $10,000 = 10 years) than I am really only 30, not 40. (unless of course, I was supposed to add the 10 years and not subtract it?)  

Therefore, I voted that I was 30  ???  because if I voted that I was 40, I would only be deceiving myself as it mis-states my true current Net Age (according to GAAP) as I have no current income.

Actually in the example quoted, if his current aging (cash flow) is negative (his current age is generating negative age going forward).. he is dead...

and mistaken about the state of his current net age... it is, for GAPP purposes, zero not 30.

It is a liability insofar as it will continue to generate negative age flow (years since zero net age)  

He needs to vote again... but that is problematic given the state of his current negative age flow.

RIP

PS. The likelihood of his generating age going forward (future age flow) is nil. This is the reason dead people are not considered an investable age asset.

Now, when you say dead people are not considered an investable asset, are you referring to Elvis Presley and Michael Jackson?  And so it continues... (just for fun)

I think this would be most useful if the age buckets were modified (given the bulk are in two buckets).

I think the best buckets would be under 30, 31-40, 40-50, and 50+, and then we do a net worth poll for each of those buckets.

The age distribution almost certainly will correspond to increasing wealth with increasing age if the sample size is large enough for high confidence.