J.G. Boswell Company

premfan

Trades under BWEL.PK

-Largest semi private farming operation in U.S.

-Company owns 142,000 acres in Cali + 30,000 acres in Australia

-hidden asset = owns massive amounts of water under land(40,000-200,000 acre feet of water).

-U.S. largest producer of cotton

-One of nations largest producers of tomato

- Stock rarely ever trades

-Shares outstanding= 983K

I didnt find a website. Only info i have is from seeking alpha articles, yahoo message board, and random forum posts. Stumbled upon this company two days ago while looking for a farmland play after seeing  dr burry's recent interview. Wanted to get the boards feedback on the company.

The King Of California: J.G. Boswell and the Making of A Secret American Empire

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1586482815/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=1586480286&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0PW67WGPNEQKMSAYCK6K

That book is worth checking out if you are interested in the company.

One long term trend is water. I believe T Boone Pickens bought a bunch of land with water rights. From what I understand, lack of water can cause sinkholes too, like the ones happening in FL.

• 10 months later...

The King Of California: J.G. Boswell and the Making of A Secret American Empire

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1586482815/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=1586480286&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0PW67WGPNEQKMSAYCK6K

That book is worth checking out if you are interested in the company.

I read the book after you recommended it, loved it.

And out of question, what would keep a group of well organized investors from buying some shares, and splitting them up in the accounts of their family members, or giving them to their friends as a gift, in order to get the shareholder count to over 300, making them report with the SEC (or, do a reverse share split of some nature to cash out small stock holders)?

While I am not advocating such an action, I am curious as to your all's thoughts in regard to the cost versus the transparency that this would provide.

Not sure if anyone here follows Jon Heller but he's been a very long time shareholder, I want to say since 2003.  I know for a while he had a packet of the financials put together for sale, not sure if that's available anymore.

http://stocksbelowncav.blogspot.com/

There is also a lot of free analysis on that site, I think he play was the value of the water under the land. 

Is anybody here a shareholder that would be willing to send me some financial info on the company? I called to get a packet today, but, need to be a shareholder to get anything.

Also, who is their auditor?

Their auditor is Ernst & Young.  I am not currently a shareholder but do have the 2009 report on pdf.  A few years ago I bought one share and then sent them proof in order to get annual reports.  Worst case is pay the $50 to get a certificate issued.   

• 1 month later...