What are you guys holding right now?

Mandeep

FFH = 20%

BRK.B = 12%

ORH = 6%

GVC = 2% (Can small cap)

Cashable GIC's = 60%

In the last couple of days I sold:

1.) smallish positions in WFC, AXP & GE. I bought these a month ago as short term speculation (sorry value guys) and got lucky.

2.) small positions in BRK.UN & CFX.UN as FFH gives me exposure to same names or exposure to sector via other companies. Yes, I took a hit selling these two.

Bottom line is I really like how things look with my current portfolio.

same here ... as I've stated on this board before, BRK-B is my most recent position with a buy in at approx. $2300

BRK-B = 40% roughly (although i wouldn't recommend at current prices (=~$2800 or so )...)

and the rest is in junk bonds, short-treasury securities, and commodity related stuff ...

FFH Leaps: some 2010s, some 2011s; a few hundred FFH common

Power Financial Common; IGM common

MFC Leaps: 2010

Arc Energy Trust

2011 Leaps:

WFC Leaps:  30 or so

SBUX Leaps: 40 or so (these are mostly in the money now!)

GE Leaps: 20

AXP Leaps: 20

Biggest Position - outside FFH

SPY Leaps:  2011 with notional values in the range of $70-85 (Some in the money; some out)

SPY June Puts:  I bought them this past week on the upturn - cover half my Leaps - dirt cheap insurance against another meltdown

Other of possible interest:

WFC.pr.l - thanks to the folks on the preferred thread

Orh.pr.a and .b

Guest Broxburnboy

I'm very defensive and downright bearish on the USD and see continued delevering and economic weakness.

I believe we crossed a line in the sand yesterday with the US very publicly buying its own debt... in effect borrowing from itself

to pay creditors. The spike in precious metal prices was no accident as the trend of investors are  flocking to gold and silver

is further strengthened.

I'm holding FFH as a conventional hedge and have been accumulating technically weak Silver and Gold stocks.

My favorites are CDE and NGD. The outcome (or lack thereof) of the coming G20 meeting may provide a catalyst for

the further bursting of the USD bubble.

FFH - 30%

MKL - 20%

ORH Preferred - 10%

BRK - 10%

JNJ - 6%

LUK - 5%

WFC - 5%

Cash - 2%

Other (spread among 7 smaller holdings) 12%

My current delimma is whether to sell off some of the smaller holdings and use the proceeds for undervalued WFC/FFH or for some druy powder.

-Crip

Buffet on a recent bloomberg interview made a very interesting investment point I've never seen articulated anywhere else. He said something along the lines of, 'if this investment I made won't do well, then neither would have some other investment I had or contemplated making'. I see very few scenarios where some companies will do well while others won't if the general economy is lousy. Conversely when it improves lots of stocks will go up - alot, whether some more than others is a question of how much of the pie you personally want, but all the names I've seen listed here have potential to rise more than the average so choosing *any* of them is just as good as choosing any other - assuming you've considered the catastrophe risk.

Guest ericopoly

'if this investment I made won't do well, then neither would have some other investment I had or contemplated making'.

Does this statement make sense:

If an investment in Nordstrom won't do well, then neither will an investment in Walmart.

I think Buffett is saying: of all the businesses serious considers buying, he expects all of them to do well over the long run. If the one he purchases doesn't do well - he expects it will be due to large economic problems that will pull down the other considered investments as well. 

Walmart and Costco might make a better analogy.

Guest ericopoly

I think Buffett is saying: of all the businesses serious considers buying, he expects all of them to do well over the long run. If the one he purchases doesn't do well - he expects it will be due to large economic problems that will pull down the other considered investments as well. 

Walmart and Costco might make a better analogy.

I agree that he is trying to say that a falling economic tide will lower all boats.

I live on an island, we have boats in the harbor and you can walk out on the docks.  One of the first observations you'll make is that the boats closer to the shoreline are in shallower water than the ones docked farther from the shoreline.

Walmart is one of those boats docked in the deepest water.  The worse economic times we see, the more people will leave other stores and shop at the one with the lowest prices.  Same goes for Costco, but he said "of all the buusinesses that he seriously considers buying".

Some of the other considered investments won't just be pulled down as the tide falls, they'll be on dry land.  Bank of America (another Berkshire investee) for example, if things get bad, will be toast before Walmart.  Really, it depends on how bad things get. -- how far will the tide go out.  Bank of America is in shallower water than Walmart.  I don't mean the present stock price, I mean the real risk of common equity survival/dilution if the economy heads into Great Depression territory.

Buffett is much smarter than me, and he made a bigger investment in Bank of America than in Walmart.  But I don't think he can argue that if common equity at Bank of America gets wiped out then the same conditions exist at Walmart.  Anyways, he speaks in generalizations and I'm pretty sure that if asked he'd say sure, common equity dilution is a risk at BofA long before it becomes a possibility at Walmart.

Ericopoly, This thread was titled "what are you guys holding right now?"

To me, it appeared not to be a thread that was designed to start another debate.  Just a survey.  Give us a little bit of a break, please.

thanks, Al. 

Guest ericopoly

Ericopoly, This thread was titled "what are you guys holding right now?"

To me, it appeared not to be a thread that was designed to start another debate.  Just a survey.  Give us a little bit of a break, please.

thanks, Al. 

Congratulations, full member #2.

So Eric, What are you holding right now?

Mean skill, that toe tapping Parsad. 

I remember a co-worker years ago who decided to photocopy his face.  Afterwards he stumbled around blind for half an hour.  I settled for my backside. 

Guest ericopoly

So Eric, What are you holding right now?

Mean skill, that toe tapping Parsad. 

I remember a co-worker years ago who decided to photocopy his face.  Afterwards he stumbled around blind for half an hour.  I settled for my backside. 

I don't have any short positions, so anything I write can be assumed to be a long position:

Shares&calls:

BAM shares   (was initially an 11% position but sold two days ago after a quick pop and will buy look to buy again in the next big crash)

ICO shares 2%  (bought three days ago), wrote $2.50 strike covered calls for income.  I swapped BAM for ICO -- just one inflation hedge for another.  I think ICO has more potential upside ($10+), so I bought a lot less of it as it has more hedging power per dollar.  I should add that I don't think inflation will be a problem before 2010, so I don't mind capping it at $2.50 for now.

LVLT shares 5%  (bought four days ago) -- I like watching HD movies on my XBox 360.

FFH calls at 150% notional (most of it is now at-the-money and financed with writing puts)

OSTK 1% (I write covered calls at $10 strike every month for income)

LUK   1%  (I write covered calls at $15 strike every month for income -- made $1.20 the past month)

PUTS:

GE (partially closed), AXP (partially closed), WFC (partially closed), USG, MSFT(closed), ACF, LUK, OSTK, SHLD, RWT)

My puts are to finance my FFH calls.  I will be opening the closed ones again in the next crash.

Oh yes, forgot to mention one thing.

I have 10.619 shares long in MSFT.  The 10 shares were my 10 yr service award (my lavish bonus), and the .619 is a turd from ESPP stock.

Really?  FFH's stock price is flat today.  Maybe you should add a salad or fries to your sandwich......

Hey I think Prem should just buy shares back, rather than me carrying the load...literally carrying the load if I eat those fries!  Cheers!

10% in combo of long FFH Calls, short FFH puts & FFH/ORH Common (mostly FFH Calls; effective notional long exposure 40%).

20% preferreds (80:20 US: CDN)

10% Asian stocks

5% in basket of energy and gold stocks.

5% in basket of small caps.

Balance in cash.

Waiting for opportunity to increase exposure to energy sector to 20% and good quality large caps (Buffett type stocks).

If/when companies underlying the preferred holdings stabilise, will borrow up to total cost of preferreds to buy more of the other positions. The high yields (on cost) of the preferreds will self liquidate the borrowings relatively quickly.