The Razors‐and‐Blades Myth

farnamstreet

Gillette sent me a free mach 3 razor when I turned 18...I've been using them ever since and have probably spent about 400-500$ on blades...not a bad return on the 2-3$ investment they made.  The few times I've tried other brands/electric I've been extremely disappointed and simply won't trust my face to anything other than Gillette.   

I agree that there is little or no switching cost but people tend to stick with what they are used to.  I am using the same gillette razor type that I started shaving on: Sensor Excel. I have tried Mach 3 etc but I prefer the Sensor series. I have tried other brands, Wilkinson Sword or Schick (received free handle/razor pack once or twice). I didn't like it as much and ended up throwing it away after a while.

I think most guys stick with the same brand, and within that, stay with the same razor model, for many years. Even though the economic switching cost is almost zero. 

Guest longinvestor

I suspect that Gillette carefully engineers the blades with the metric "cost per shave" by pre-determining the end-of-useful-life while rationing the improved shaving comfort in measured quantities with each new model release. I often stand in front of the razor shelf at Sams Club studying the prices of the 3 generations of blades from Gillette. I have not put them into a spreadsheet, maybe I should. The story is unlikely to change.