A modest proposal for board usernames

nodnub
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Interesting article - Munger's ( not the real one, but one that has taken the real life hero's name on this board ) hero Pretcher is predicting that the dow will go to 1000.

I have a modest proposal for usernames on this board. On this board we often refer to the real personages associated with names Munger, Watsa, Buffett etc. I find it tiresome to constantly include disclaimers in brackets to differentiate between posters that choose a username that is the exact unaltered name of the original person.  

I propose that users of this board not choose usernames that are verbatim copies of first or last names of famous people often discussed here. such as Warren Buffet, WEB,  Buffett, Munger, Charlie Munger, Prem Watsa, Seth Klarman etc.  

Variations on these names that differentiate the post author from the REAL person would be fine.  (accepted examples would be "mungerville", "watsa_is_randian_hero", "buffettologist", etc)

Cheers,

nodnub

Interesting article - Munger's ( not the real one, but one that has taken the real life hero's name on this board ) hero Pretcher is predicting that the dow will go to 1000.

I have a modest proposal for usernames on this board. On this board we often refer to the real personages associated with names Munger, Watsa, Buffett etc. I find it tiresome to constantly include disclaimers in brackets to differentiate between posters that choose a username that is the exact unaltered name of the original person.  

I propose that users of this board not choose usernames that are verbatim copies of first or last names of famous people often discussed here. such as Warren Buffet, WEB,  Buffett, Munger, Charlie Munger, Prem Watsa, Seth Klarman etc.  

Variations on these names that differentiate the post author from the REAL person would be fine.  (accepted examples would be "mungerville", "watsa_is_randian_hero", "buffettologist", etc)

Cheers,

nodnub

I agree, it is pretty annoying - maybe Sanjeev can use this as a consideration when approving new users?

I have no problem with the idea, other than is it really necessary and where do we draw the line? 

Personally, I wish people used their real names and didn't hide behind anonymity, but that would probably prevent alot of people from posting that truly like to remain anonymous and have contributed immensely to the board. 

I think the best thing to do is weed out the idiots and leave it at that.  There are a number of investment managers and executives that want to post on occasion, but probably don't want the post attributed to their fund or company.  The one thing I can tell you for sure is that the real Buffett, the real Munger, and the real Watsa do not post here.  ;D  Cheers!

I haven't even checked but is it possible to change our usernames without signing up again, Sanjeev? 

I don't post very often but would definitely change my username to my real username if possible.  Don't you have to manually enter the usernames and passwords?

I personally don't think the original subject of this thread is that big of a deal.  It hasn't been a problem for me.

I haven't even checked but is it possible to change our usernames without signing up again, Sanjeev? 

Im almost positive that is not possible.

I run another forum myself and there is no provision for that.

Personally, I dont see a problem with using "handles".  That is how the internet works.

I know I couldnt use my own name when i first got on the previous board because everything i wrote (at that time) for public consumption would have had to go through a compliance system.  Wasnt worth it for me.

Guest ValueCarl

If theft of a real person's name is not "identity theft," then what good is any person's name whether that name be associated with good, bad or indifference?

I'll be FRANK, not CARL, in telling you that, the fake Munger had me going there for awhile, and I've briefly met, experienced and read about the "real Munger" for many years now.

FWIW, there has been a case where Mr. Buffett has posted on a "message board" in the past, so to think a Munger or Buffett might enlighten board members of this forum, might not have been as idiotic as it sounded!  ;D

As for Mr. Watsa, I might have sworn, he and "SharperDingean," were the same person although there was no "identity theft" there except for my wild imagination! LOL

If this vote passes and its policy is implemented, I hope the FAKE MUNGER identifies which moniker he has changed to.        

If this vote passes and its policy is implemented, I hope the FAKE MUNGER identifies which moniker he has changed to.

I think you hit the nail on the head yourself Carl! 

There is no way to enforce anyone to identify their new moniker.  It would be an enormous pain in the ass for me to do that.  We have over 800 members and that will double over the next two years!  "Munger" or anyone else could easily pass on that moniker and adopt some other one...how about "ValueCarl2"!  ;D  Then we wouldn't know if it is you or someone purporting to be you!  Cheers! 

Guest ValueCarl

Hmm, "I feel your pain." Carl Clinton  ;D

Without a doubt, it takes a certain amount of hubris for one to attempt taking on the persona of a different person. Then again, outside of the "virtual world" or "cyberspace" we do have all kinds of WannaBee copy cats by physical attributes whether the famed person be dead or alive. Elvis is one that comes to mind. Although a form of idolatry, it can also depict the amount of awe and respect one might possess for another human being who may have affected their lives.

Seems like the status quo must be accepted with board participants always being mindful of "caveat emptor."

In the spirit of that great T.V. program from yesteryear, "What's My Line," will the real Charles T. Munger identify yourself!  :D 

Personally, I dont see a problem with using "handles".  That is how the internet works.

I know I couldnt use my own name when i first got on the previous board because everything i wrote (at that time) for public consumption would have had to go through a compliance system.  Wasnt worth it for me.

I haven't heard anyone call userid's as handles in such a long time.  That's way back in the old BBS days for me.  Smazz, did you ever use the BBS systems back in the 80's?

Great Sanjeev! If that happens, what will be important is to try to keep the culture that we have enjoyed over the last years intact.

So far, so good!  If it starts to get out of hand, we can always limit the number of members, so it won't be problem.  Cheers!

Does anyone have arguments against the proposal that they would like to share?

is watsa_is_a_randian_hero really that confusing with watsa?

my handle is a tribute to him - I am saying he is akin to a randian hero for the battle he has gone through the last decade with hedge funds.

I dont think its that hard for people to copy the full name when referring to me - or do something like hero - i've seen that.  

Either way, I don't really care, if Parsad wants me to change it I will.  I'd rather devote time/energy/discussion to things that matter...

I don't think I'll be changing the policy, regardless of the vote.  Too difficult to enforce and the line would be constantly moving.  

The fact is that the board does get read by people at Berkshire and I know many people read it at Fairfax.  So if you are saying anything stupid using a moniker - well they are reading it!  Remember, Prem's going after the hedgies...don't give him any ammunition to go after you too!   ;D  Cheers!

is watsa_is_a_randian_hero really that confusing with watsa?

Super confusing. You had me going there.  :D

I dont think its that hard for people to copy the full name when referring to me - or do something like hero - i've seen that.  

I think i'll go with randian. lol.

By the way, that Goldman pref worked out pretty nicely.

Personally, I dont see a problem with using "handles".  That is how the internet works.

I know I couldnt use my own name when i first got on the previous board because everything i wrote (at that time) for public consumption would have had to go through a compliance system.  Wasnt worth it for me.

I haven't heard anyone call userid's as handles in such a long time.  That's way back in the old BBS days for me.  Smazz, did you ever use the BBS systems back in the 80's?

I did but more as an experimental thing under the guidance of my older brother who was ahead of his time (no My older brother is not Al Gore! :D).  You will remember, the early 80s I believe, getting on to those things was like Marconis first shot over the atlantic.

Having said that, "Handle" still gets used quite a bit - depending on which forums you go on ;D

Personally nothing wrong with people posting as Watsashero - Mungerish etc. I mean, thinking they are Munger or Watsa is really outhere  But I agree posting as their complete name only as duplicate/CC is kind of Kookie!

The thing that confuses me is there were a few people on the old board with Mungerthis or Mungerthat.. are they the reincarnated as someone else or?