What "The Oracle of the North" Sees Ahead

Parsad

Thanks for sharing the article Parsad....

By the way, do you mind sharing with you what news paper/websites you go through everyday ...I know you do a lot of reading everyday..... just want to learn a bit more from you..... Thanks.. ;D

By the way, do you mind sharing with you what news paper/websites you go through everyday ...I know you do a lot of reading everyday

First thing in the morning:

- Turn on Bloomberg Television and it stays on as I get ready

In the morning before leaving the house:

- Vancouver Sun newspaper

- National Post newspaper

On the way to the office in the morning on my IPhone:

- USA Today Online

- NYTimes.com

- Bloomberg.com

In the office, monitoring and reading all day:

- Ft.com

- Bloomberg

- CNBC

- Globeinvestor.com

- CNN

- Yahoo Finance

- Google Finance

- Businesswire

- All filings on EDGAR and SEDAR for companies in our portfolio and in our watch list

- All letters, reports, etc emailed to me

- Corner of Berkshire & Fairfax Message Board

On the way home:

- Office copy of the Globe & Mail newspaper

At home after dinner and a bit of television:

- All the 10-Q's and 10-K's not finished during the day

- More emails

- Any other ideas I want to research

- Check the Corner of Berkshire & Fairfax Message Board again

Before falling asleep:

Turn on Bloomberg and see what is happening in Europe & Asia...usually leave it on and it automatically shuts off about an hour and a half later!

Then you have all the stuff I do once every week or so:

- Check 52-week lows and greatest percent losers for NYSE, Nasdaq, Amex, TSX

- Run screens on various pre-sets, then dig into filings of anything that piques my interest

- Read portions of any books (past & present) I have an interest in

Somewhere in all of that I work for Quantum, handle all the administrative duties for CMC & MPIC, raise capital, make client calls, answer emails, and return phone calls to non-clients, friends & family.  Alnesh does the accounting!   ;D  Cheers!

Looks like a lot of fun. I am jealous.

"On the way to the office in the morning on my IPhone:

- USA Today Online

- NYTimes.com

- Bloomberg.com"

I hope that is while you re walking to work, or better yet have someone driving you in to work.

No, Monday to Friday I take the bus.  It starts almost right at my front door and ends right at my office, so I get a nice comfy seat both ways, each day.  I can spend the 40 minutes reading, rather than sitting in traffic listening to the radio.  The bus has the carpool lane each way, so its as fast as me sitting in the car in the non-carpool lane.  

I have the IPhone going with some music on, my "News" apps open, and if I need to respond to emails I can as well.  If there isn't much happening, I just print off an annual report at the office and read that on the way home.  It's great!  Cheers!

Most news feeds pick up stories from the WSJ, as well as the Washington Post.  I'm a bit partial to the Financial Times though. 

I like to go for a cup of coffee near my home Saturday mornings while doing my grocery shopping, and I'll grab the Weekend WSJ at the grocery store before heading over to Starbucks.  Cheers!

By the way, it seems like you don't read Value Line?  Does anyone read Value Line?

I'm cheap!  You can find almost all the information you would ever require on the internet for free.  Actually, the biggest source of information for any investor, by far, should be EDGAR. 

But once in a while, when Value Line has certain short-term specials (like right now...13 weeks of the Small & Mid-cap Edition for $49), then I will get the print version, which I can keep and dig through over and over through the next year.  But I'm not a regular subscriber.  Cheers!

I read Value Lne but only the company profile sections and occasionally the screens.  It gives you a good overview where larger firm valuations are and buyback info today and over time.  Morningstar has a similar layout but am an old fashioned paper guy and have a hard time visualizing data on a screen.  I have to use other sources to get the data on smaller firms (Edgar).

Packer 

By the way, it seems like you don't read Value Line?  Does anyone read Value Line?

I'm cheap!  You can find almost all the information you would ever require on the internet for free.  Actually, the biggest source of information for any investor, by far, should be EDGAR. 

But once in a while, when Value Line has certain short-term specials (like right now...13 weeks of the Small & Mid-cap Edition for $49), then I will get the print version, which I can keep and dig through over and over through the next year.  But I'm not a regular subscriber.  Cheers!

I admire you being a true value investor and value reader..... ;D

Does anyone read Value Line?

I do, but usually at the Library and for free. I like to go to the library every once in a while because i am less distracted there (i.e. no one knows where to find me  :P)

I like the hard copy of Value line because i can flip through companies financials alot quicker and do comparisons etc in hard copy. When i find something that intrigues me I usually do more info gathering on the net.

First, the company increased its short positions on the general market to hedge 93% of its equity portfolio. It shifted nearly half a billion dollars into long-term U.S. Treasuries this year. Most disturbing of all, Fairfax purchased $23 billion worth of protection (notional value) against the threat of deflation in the coming 10 years.

I'm surprised this didn't get more notice on the board.  Prem has essentially eliminated all exposure to the equity market on a net basis.  I'm clearly not bearish enough as I still have some exposure -- between 10-20%.

Wow.  That's a huge boat load of reading.  The common theme I have seen for top performing money managers is that they all read a lot all the time.  From that recent TV expose with Warren on his trip to Asia, he seemed to sleep very little and read tomes of information.  I think that would burn me out quick.  Parsad, do you sleep much?  Also, what is Quantum?  And why do you do so much, but your partner seems to do so little.  Or, am I just reading that wrong.

The RSS alerts on the EDGAR site are brilliant, they just make your life so much easier. I use personally use a desktop application called RSSOwl to gather my feeds. I like it better than Google Reader because it's that bit faster and I like the layout better. I have 400 company feeds currently set up and ever day I usually get a few new filings to look at. My only problem is that I simply don't have enough time to read everything  :-[