Where are you people putting new money to work?

Guest Bronco

Guest Bronco

On another thread, people were talking about stocks they bought (Goog at $400, Visa, etc.)

Where is everyone putting new money?  What looks most attractive?

I am eyeing JNJ pretty heavily.  Goog is on my radar, but waiting for the right price.  Visa I own as well.  But what about new money?

I am being patient now as the market has risen, but it also means I am bored.  Looking for ideas!

I mentioned this in the BNI thread as well, but I bought some FDX (Federal Expresss) a couple weeks ago for around $70. A small position that I was hoping to add to if it got cheaper, but it's gone straight up since I bought it. Still hoping it pulls back so I can pick up a bit more.

I am doing a bunch of small cap stocks. KSP, ATSG, ESV & SD Leaps, Coastal Energy.

Things like that. I am raising cash and buying long dated March options on names I think have relatively good catalysts (KSP, ATSG). I now have about 20% cash.

SD has been severally battered, It seems like an easy buy at $6. hopefully we get some guidance going forward now that Arena is behind us. He thinks they will be 70% oil by next year. They now need to focus on living within there cash flow and paying down debt.

• 5 months later...

I started a position in Ebay, and am hoping to buy more at a lower price.  This is more of a buy on the future of Paypal than Ebay itself, but I have been happy with what John Donahoe has been doing with this company recently, and am interested in see in them grow Milo as well.

I bought BestBuy (BBY) on its big dip a few days ago. That is up about 5% now.

I bought Corinthian Colleges (COCO) at $4.30 and was up 30% until Barclays downgraded the edu sector yesterday, and now its only up about 10%.

The remaining holdings include BRK, PG (which I strongly am considering selling), and a very risky biotech that I have way too much money tied up in (PVCT.OB).

I've spent the last two quarters selling stocks as the market (S&P 500) has risen and the housing market and job market have not.

I'm at an all-time high in cash because I expect some MAJOR opportunities in municipal bonds later this year.

The market is NOT fearful right now judging by the general movement of the various indexes.

I am even beginning to trim my two-year commodities exposure to raise capital!

I've spent the last two quarters selling stocks as the market (S&P 500) has risen and the housing market and job market have not.

I'm at an all-time high in cash because I expect some MAJOR opportunities in municipal bonds later this year.

Hey Bargin you have me thinking and I started a new thread.

http://cornerofberkshireandfairfax.ca/forum/index.php?topic=3640.0

Feel free to respond here, there, or not at all.

Regards.

I am looking to sell a significant portion of my stock holdings in the near future. I am currently waiting for the "news" that many small investors are jumping into the market. A bonus would be the news that many are returning after having sold out in desperation in 2009.

In my view, the stock market is now even more overvalued for small investors, who can only be paid reliably through dividends.  The idea that they might be paid through "capital appreciation" requires that they be able to assess value or that they have what it takes to hold stocks or mutual funds continually over a very long time period. I am applying Ben Graham's value measures (for stocks as a generic investment), which clearly indicate that stock dividends are far too low relative to treasury bond yields.

Regards,

Tex