VAT Rises to 20%

KFRCanuk

Very few Canadians have a right to complain about our tax system, especially if you are a small business owner. I have done my taxes by the book since moving here 11 years ago and have paid about half the rate I would have paid had I stayed in the US/UK, where ease of doing business is on par with Canada. That includes income and property taxes. Few appreciate how good we have it.

How social services are handled is certainly different (healthcare, school taxes, etc.), but what I hear fellow Canadians complain about most is income tax (compared to low-tax U.S. states), and lack of the U.S. tax incentives related to housing (interest on mortgages tax deductible). 

How social services are handled is certainly different (healthcare, school taxes, etc.), but what I hear fellow Canadians complain about most is income tax (compared to low-tax U.S. states), and lack of the U.S. tax incentives related to housing (interest on mortgages tax deductible).  

One of my Canadian friends moved from British Columbia to Oregon for a promotion and a raise. His new salary was higher even when you ignored exchange rates.  However, he told me that even with a higher salary, his take home pay was lower in Oregon than it was while he was in Canada. (Oregon does have the benefit of no state sales tax though)

I live in Montreal a 50k single person salary without deduction is about 38% tax rate. A lot lower is you take advantage of all deductions tough.

BeerBaron

This is the marginal tax rate at 50K.  A much more representative figure would be the total % tax paid. If you go to Taxtips.ca you can see that someone earning 50K in Quebec, pays a total of $11,759 federal and provincial tax.  When you add in the mandatory govt pension and Employment insurance taxes then the total is $14,703.  This makes total tax paid only 29.4% of income (ignoring impact of sales tax/VAT)

In BC, that same 50K salary would only be taxed a total of $11,091  for a total tax, pension, and EI tax of only 22.2% of income.

http://taxtips.ca/calculators/taxcalculator.htm

Can anyone add detail on how that compares to various states in the US?

I live in Montreal a 50k single person salary without deduction is about 38% tax rate. A lot lower is you take advantage of all deductions tough.

BeerBaron

This is the marginal tax rate at 50K.   A much more representative figure would be the total % tax paid. If you go to Taxtips.ca you can see that someone earning 50K in Quebec, pays a total of $11,759 federal and provincial tax.  When you add in the mandatory govt pension and Employment insurance taxes then the total is $14,703.   This makes total tax paid only 29.4% of income (ignoring impact of sales tax/VAT)

In BC, that same 50K salary would only be taxed a total of $11,091  for a total tax, pension, and EI tax of only 22.2% of income.

http://taxtips.ca/calculators/taxcalculator.htm

Can anyone add detail on how that compares to various states in the US?

A single person earning $50k in the US pays $8,688 in federal tax -- 17.376%.  There is an additional 15.3% tax that covers social security and medicare programs -- 1/2 of that tax is paid by the employer.  One might be tempted to say that the combined tax is 32.676%, but the employer takes a deduction for 1/2 of that social security and medicare tax... So total tax paid probably comes to roughly 30% or so.

Here in Washington state, there is no state income tax (we have property and sales taxes).  Most states have income taxes.