Self Expression & Responsibility

EricSchleien

One of the things I really admire about Warren Buffett is who he stands for in the business community.  Sure, he's made a name for himself by becoming wealthy and doing very well for shareholders over the long-haul but he seems to be talked about more so than many other businessmen and I think a huge chunk of the reason is that he's a model for integrity in business, he has a unique way of making deals and doing business.  He's inspired me and I would assume many on this board.

There is another business man I'd imagine most of you have never heard of.  He works for a company called Jefferson Capital and is based out of Toronto, James DeStephanis.  While we do entirely different things (me value investing) and him in venture capital, his approach is a very pragmatic and rational approach.  I see him as a high energy Charlie Munger almost.  Seeing him in action and being around him is an incredible experience and his wisdom and integrity in business is absolutely something you have to experience being around him to fully comprehend.  Even though  he's doing VC,  his approach is totally revolutionary and is someone certainly worth following in the years to come. 

Anyway I wanted to share a conversation I had with him recently and while reading this to consider how this could totally apply in any kind of business environment which I know many of us are in.

He made the statement, "Self-Expression is a function of Responsibility".

I asked him what exactly he meant by that.

He goes word-for-word, "Eric: A myth about your self-expression is that it lives inside of you. Your self-expression lives in the listening of others. When you and I be irresponsible for who we are, what lives in the listening of others is something other then our self-expression. Be responsible for who you are and enjoy a life of full-self expression."

I thought this was an absolutely brilliant distinction and just wanted to share this with all of you!

Cheers!

Eric

One of the things I really admire about Warren Buffett is who he stands for in the business community.  Sure, he's made a name for himself by becoming wealthy and doing very well for shareholders over the long-haul but he seems to be talked about more so than many other businessmen and I think a huge chunk of the reason is that he's a model for integrity in business, he has a unique way of making deals and doing business.  He's inspired me and I would assume many on this board.

There is another business man I'd imagine most of you have never heard of.  He works for a company called Jefferson Capital and is based out of Toronto, James DeStephanis.  While we do entirely different things (me value investing) and him in venture capital, his approach is a very pragmatic and rational approach.  I see him as a high energy Charlie Munger almost.  Seeing him in action and being around him is an incredible experience and his wisdom and integrity in business is absolutely something you have to experience being around him to fully comprehend.  Even though  he's doing VC,  his approach is totally revolutionary and is someone certainly worth following in the years to come. 

Anyway I wanted to share a conversation I had with him recently and while reading this to consider how this could totally apply in any kind of business environment which I know many of us are in.

He made the statement, "Self-Expression is a function of Responsibility".

I asked him what exactly he meant by that.

He goes word-for-word, "Eric: A myth about your self-expression is that it lives inside of you. Your self-expression lives in the listening of others. When you and I be irresponsible for who we are, what lives in the listening of others is something other then our self-expression. Be responsible for who you are and enjoy a life of full-self expression."

I thought this was an absolutely brilliant distinction and just wanted to share this with all of you!

Cheers!

Eric

Or, as the New England Puritans phrased it: "Do well by doing good". ( Prem got this one backwards although he meant well ). :)