CGM's Struggles

Parsad

Ken Heebner's struggles at CGM continue.  What's even more sad is that everytime anyone talks about an underperforming fund manager, poor old Bill Miller's picture is shown instead!  ;D  He's been the whipping boy for underperforming managers the last couple of years.  Take a look at the article:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601108&sid=ald5h_nPY5Ro

Cheers!

I like Ken, and remember when he was the talk of the town. Heavy into energy and was the flavor of the month for a while.

Bill Miller just rubs me the wrong way for some reason. He seems to be so sure about things he clearly didn't understand and seems more contarian then value focused.

What's even more sad is that everytime anyone talks about an underperforming fund manager, poor old Bill Miller's picture is shown instead!   ;D 

That's too funny. Miller is wearing an Amazon.com shirt in the picture, though, as if to defend himself somehow. :)

Bill Miller just rubs me the wrong way for some reason. He seems to be so sure about things he clearly didn't understand and seems more contarian then value focused.

I agree.  I consider Bill Miller and Dreman contrarian investors.  Alot of average retail investors mistake contrarian investing with value investing wheras I believe they are completely different. 

I agree.  I consider Bill Miller and Dreman contrarian investors.  Alot of average retail investors mistake contrarian investing with value investing wheras I believe they are completely different. 

Yep, also what happened to the Blog. You run Top Down right, havent seen any updates in a while.

• 9 years later...

CGM Focus has now underperformed the S&P 500 since inception in 1997.

In June of 2008, $10,000 invested at inception would be worth about $112,000. So over 10x in less than 11 years...in a mutual fund! The VFIAX (S&P 500) was worth about $17,000. Today, CGMFX is worth about $37,000 vs about $46,000 for VFIAX. Amazing.

More evidence that indexing is superior to the vast majority of professional managers.

Wow, how the mighty have fallen.  To think I actually entertained the thought of putting in some money into CGMFX back around 05/06.  But, then I realized there's no way this commodities bull market is going to keep going through the roof.

I wonder how Bill Miller's new fund is doing ever since he decided to get back into money management.  Talk about poor timing.