LUK below $20 ?

elltel

I think LUK is extraordinarily cheap, selling perhaps 1/2 of intrinsic value. Give it time.

Based on what IV calculation?  They're trading a bit higher than book value, although I'm not sure what to make of book value given the large NOL presence.

Guest Bronco

I like berkshire's businesses and capital structure much better.  That being said, everything is relative to it's price.  But I vote brk at these levels.

How can you guys think that a $180 billion market cap company can possibly produce a return as good as a $5 billion one? Berkshire needs to create nearly $200 billion in market cap for your stock to double, Leucadia only needs to generate $5 billion or 3% of that. Being loyal to Berkshire is one thing, but stop and think about the kind of market gains you need.

How can you guys think that a $180 billion market cap company can possibly produce a return as good as a $5 billion one? Berkshire needs to create nearly $200 billion in market cap for your stock to double, Leucadia only needs to generate $5 billion or 3% of that. Being loyal to Berkshire is one thing, but stop and think about the kind of market gains you need.

This has and continues to be my biggest problem with Berkshire. I think its a great store of wealth though. The problem is I don't have much of it, still in the building phase.

Both have different risk/return profiles but problem I am having with LUK is more around trying to nail down its IV at something other than its adjusted book value. LUK's value can vary quite a bit based on how you estimate the IV of NOL and Fortescue (stock and the 4% revenue note). I just am not able to get a good handle on these two items. Do you have any suggestions on this?

Thanks

Vinod

I thought the NOLs were written off. What do you make of the new Aussie miners tax, LUK said it hurts but the mining company should still be very profitable.

Yes I think you're right about the NOLs.  For some reason I thought they had recognized them once again, but that's not the case after a quick read of the 10Q and annual letter.  That said, it's still an asset going forward if they can use it.  I think it lasts till 2030 so my guess is they'll get some use out of it.  So, the question is do you use that in the IV calculation?

Both have different risk/return profiles but problem I am having with LUK is more around trying to nail down its IV at something other than its adjusted book value. LUK's value can vary quite a bit based on how you estimate the IV of NOL and Fortescue (stock and the 4% revenue note). I just am not able to get a good handle on these two items. Do you have any suggestions on this?

Thanks

Vinod

Yes that's the thing.  You can use book value + some portion of NOLs, but since the underlying securities fluctuate, there's that volatility.  On the earnings and cash flow side I have a tough time evaluating it too..  Then there is also the presumed investment prowess of Ian and Joseph (and the risk that they leave). Which is why I was asking how others are evaluating IV?

"On the NOL, it is very likely they'll be able to use at least a portion of it against their stake in Fortescue and other relevant capital gains... so I would net it against the DTL that they have there"

Not for Fortescue you can't do that - it is not an associated company and its gains run through comprehensive income similar to unrealized gains in insurance companies - the tax not paid is already included in this account. There is no "hidden" value in tax not paid on their mining investments.