Interview With Mohnish On Checklists

Parsad

I don't agree with everything Pabrai says, but I think he has done some valuable work in the area of written investment checklists - obviously he has ripped off a lot of these ideas from Charlie, FAA, and Gawande - and he acknowledges that.  He has taken it a step further from Charlie in that Charlie advocates mental checklists not written lists.  It is a simple concept, but gives you a good framework for not repeating future mistakes.  If nothing else, it forces you to make sure you have completed your analysis. 

Just to clarify my comment, I respect Mohnish's accomplishments. However in these checklist talks, all he seems to be doing is state the obvious: learn from your and other mistakes and reduce the number of future mistakes.

The obvious is what most people don't get.

Is it just me or are there other board members who find Mohnish's insights to be rather pedestrian, and not very deep?

I don't know, the thing that bothered me is his statement about Buffett.  He went on about Buffett's investing prowess overshadowing his other attributes like the way he treats his family..  Uh.. did he read Snowball?  From everything I read he was a pretty mediocre, even lousy, father.  I mean his friends would have to remind him "those are your kids you know Warren".  I'm not sure why Pabrai would make a statement like that.