Buffett's Estimated Dividend Income

Parsad

I am willing to bet him and his wife live on less than 100,000 per year.  Most of his travel is covered by Berk.  About the only thing he pays for that I dont is probably security.  Family gifts would be the other unusual item.

Guest Bronco

Can you get by on $100,000 eating hamburgers and coke?  I think so!

The article mentions that he gets by on 100,000 because of the dividend income.  I think the more important point is he takes a low salary because of his intensity toward shareholder value.

I hoping someone can help me here.  The author points out that Mr. Buffett earned $10.8mm in Q4 2009 for a rough annualized $40mm.  If I'm not mistaken Mr. Buffett's holdings outside of BRK are rumored to be around $500-750mm.  I'm having a tough time understanding how he is acheiving a dividend yield of well over 5% for his portfolio.

Maybe I read the article to quickly, so if that's the case I apologize.

I hoping someone can help me here.  The author points out that Mr. Buffett earned $10.8mm in Q4 2009 for a rough annualized $40mm.  If I'm not mistaken Mr. Buffett's holdings outside of BRK are rumored to be around $500-750mm.  I'm having a tough time understanding how he is acheiving a dividend yield of well over 5% for his portfolio.

Maybe I read the article to quickly, so if that's the case I apologize.

There was an earlier posting referencing a gurufocus analysis of WEB's personal, US stockholdings.  The author calculated that these reported holdings had a market value of $1.8 B EOY 2009.  If the author's calculations are accurate, WEB's personal portfolio outside of BRK is now a much larger percentage of the whole than at the end of the last century.  If this is correct, WEB's personal stockpicking has outperformed the S&P500 by about 20% per annum during the last 10 years.  And we his deluded admirers from Graham and Doddsville have once again been "Fooled by Randomness" in the opinion of Mr. Taleb!  :)

The dividend income is estimated based on the article by Robert Miles that Buffett's personal portfolio is worth $1.8 billion.

I had a read a post on this board or on fool that Miles incorrectly calculated Buffett's personal portfolio and that it is only $500 million based on Buffett's own comments in the last couple of years.

Vinod

I just read the Gurufocus article by Robert Miles. How did he find the weights for Buffett's portfolio? And how did he discriminate between Buffett's direct and indirect ownership?

From what I could tell, the author took a quote from Buffett stating that Berkshire represented 95% of the Buffett family net worth, and assumed that 5% of the 13-HR belonged to Buffett. The article doesn't reveal much in the way of methodology.