House of Nomura - Albert J. Alletzhauser

Xerxes

During my trip to Japan, I started reading this book about corporate Japan. It follows the raise of Nomura pre-world wars. Follows the Japanese point of view Wall Street crashes and goes to the late 1980. Goes over the “trading companies” and their post-war disintegration and rebuilt. 

It is a very interesting book for history buffs. If you know US corporate history well this would the oriental point of view of the same events. 

The book was published in 1990, during the of the Japanese bubble. Probably around the time, Jeremy Grantham couldn’t believe his eyes as Japanese P/E ratios moved from 35x (bubble territory) to an incredible 65x 🙂  … 

IMG_5452.thumb.jpeg.636358ca4d9813265aa56ceed88ea92b.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2023 at 3:08 PM, Xerxes said:

During my trip to Japan, I started reading this book about corporate Japan. It follows the raise of Nomura pre-world wars. Follows the Japanese point of view Wall Street crashes and goes to the late 1980. Goes over the “trading companies” and their post-war disintegration and rebuilt. 

It is a very interesting book for history buffs. If you know US corporate history well this would the oriental point of view of the same events. 

The book was published in 1990, during the of the Japanese bubble. Probably around the time, Jeremy Grantham couldn’t believe his eyes as Japanese P/E ratios moved from 35x (bubble territory) to an incredible 65x 🙂  … 

IMG_5452.thumb.jpeg.636358ca4d9813265aa56ceed88ea92b.jpeg

Would it provide any insight on why Warren purchased a group of Japanese trading companies? I've read books about Deutsche Bank and its influences in Germany.  Is it written like books related to US banks - Banks America, Goldman Sachs history, etc?

On 5/20/2023 at 7:21 PM, schin said:

Would it provide any insight on why Warren purchased a group of Japanese trading companies? I've read books about Deutsche Bank and its influences in Germany.  Is it written like books related to US banks - Banks America, Goldman Sachs history, etc?

Hi

not at all. The book war written in late 80s and 90s. The insight that it gives is about total sway that Nomura Securities had over the financial markets in Japan pre-bubble era. It covers collusions with government, other market participants in the growth period of Japanese economy. 

• Parsad changed the title to House of Nomura - Albert J. Alletzhauser