Lighthouse: Women Leading the Way in Finance - Maya Peterson

weighingmachine

Happy International Women's day, this book charts early in career women through to industry leaders, fund managers, and CEOs. Profiles include Monsoon Pabrai, Heather Brilliant (Diamond Hill, ex-M*), Jenn Cole, Jen Likander (Markel), Callie Haines (Brookfield), Lauren Templeton, Shilpa Andalkar (Ensemble), Perth Tolle (started her own ex-Russia, ex-China Emerging Markets fund based on liberty) and more.

Review here

https://rationalwalk.com/lighthouse-women-leading-the-way-in-finance/

Book here

https://is.gd/35fOmp

I was more interested in the bonds she mentioned buying at 28c on the dollar, but I didn’t press for the name. Skiing is most fun with a clear mind.

I will say, she and her friend charged hard! Kept up with us and probably skied circles around half the mountain. 

Kite Lake Capital Management - UK based fund specializing in Event/special sits, started with $100M in 2013 and now grown to $2.7B, the co-founder and CIO is Massi Khadjenouri, 2022 performance of the KL Special Opportunities Fund was 14.3%, outperforming a lot of big named firms. I remember pitching BN's ORG acquisition to her. The grandmother I wish I had.

https://thehedgefundjournal.com/kite-lake/

Close but not quite! I won’t say much more to protect the names of the innocent.

If you do try and hit ‘em up for analyst positions, show them you’re smart, sharp, and (respectfully) ruthless. These women climbed over bodies to get where they are - they sniff out bullshit faster than any male counterpart I’ve met. 

OPTI Capital Management, NY based, run by Xiuping Li, the fund's performance is scary. Purely from their 13Fs, 3 Yr Annualized performance was ~120%, All time performance was ~950%. This is just the $1B they have in US equities, not to mention the other $600M which is outside.

Goes to show how there always were smart women in finance who rose above the rest, just that they did not enter the ego measuring contest like certain managers that's it. When will people realize that anonymity is the greatest wealth.  

Elite Wealth Management, WA based, Fariba Ronnasi, pretty meh performance, inline with the S&P500, multi-strat with all strategies in at the end in line with the benchmark. Grown to $840M in AUM despite it.

Edit: Fariba is also the founder of Lattice Capital Management ~550M AUM, their flagship Dynamic Alpha Fund has a 3 YR CAGR of ~29.5%

Edited by whatstheofficerproblem

Molly McDonnell, CFO at Lone Pine. Got to give Stephen credit where credit is due, LP is one of the very few funds where women were actually valued. To this day, almost all of the non-investing staff is women with a few in investing in high positions, the avg tenure for a woman at LP is 5+ years, much less for men. How do I know that? don't ask, looks like Mandel likes to surround himself in flowers.

Edited by whatstheofficerproblem

• Parsad changed the title to Lighthouse: Women Leading the Way in Finance - Maya Peterson