Office Chairs

Castanza

Finally biting the bullet and upgrading the home office. Been working off the same squeaky terribly uncomfortable cheap IKEA desk and chair for years now. Picked up a Uplift V2 desk frame off marketplace for like half the cost of a new one and working on building a top for it. Been shopping around for chair and looking at the Herman Miller Aeron which can be had for $450 on ebay with a 12 year warranty. Not bad considering most junk chairs are like $250 with no warranty and the HM is what $1100+ new. 

Anyone have any recommendations?  

Over the years I bought many office chairs for an office, all of them either used on Kijiji and such, or like-new demonstrators at deep discounts from one of the stores selling them brand new (you cannot be picky on color choices). So if you can afford to be patient, you may want to check these sites.

I've used the Aeron extensively in the past. It is a proven choice that many like a lot and $450 is not a bad price for it. I'm not personally wild about it, as I find the back support sub-par and that I feel the the plastic frame up front too much under my legs. It is however fantastic for breathability. My personal favorite is the Steelcase Gesture.

1 hour ago, intothebreach said:

Over the years I bought many office chairs for an office, all of them either used on Kijiji and such, or like-new demonstrators at deep discounts from one of the stores selling them brand new (you cannot be picky on color choices). So if you can afford to be patient, you may want to check these sites.

I've used the Aeron extensively in the past. It is a proven choice that many like a lot and $450 is not a bad price for it. I'm not personally wild about it, as I find the back support sub-par and that I feel the the plastic frame up front too much under my legs. It is however fantastic for breathability. My personal favorite is the Steelcase Gesture.

Thanks I’ll check out those sites. At my office they had the Steelcase Leap V2 chairs. They were ok. I like the idea of mesh because I usually go running or to the gym at lunch so the cooler “ride” would definitely be a plus 

I use a Aeron chair from an outlet store in Brooklyn. Bought it for about $700, the largest size. I was starting to get significant hip pain as I am a larger guy and weight a decent amount. The Aeron chair has been really helpful with getting rid of hip pain. 

Side note, I started squatting this past summer. It's done wonders for my posture, back, and hips in general. I only squat once a week, but tend to go heavier as it is a stress relief for me. I highly recommend it. Also just going out for walks is great as well. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/27/2023 at 6:03 PM, Mephistopheles said:

Slightly off topic, but does anyone have a recommendation for a good adjustable standing desk with a back wall?

Costco has a bunch of adjustable standing desks as well does Overstock, however I want one that has a back to it so it can hide all the wires from site. Sadly can't find any as such!

What do you mean with a back wall? 

I just built one with the Uplift v2 frame. Built my own top for it. Seems really solid so far. For cable management you can just get a Startech 2x2 tray and screw it to your top. Better than what comes with most desks. 

https://www.startech.com/en-us/cables/ad2x2

Edited by Castanza

I made my own.  It can be adjusted (with great effort) but i just leave it up all the time.  if i want to sit, i use a tall stool.

hide wires by attaching them to the underside of the desktop using sticky zip ties.

I pulled the desktop out of the trash!

3C42684E-F04A-43FC-AACD-F660E7ADFF4F.thumb.jpeg.9bea0a7081808743acfecfef255aa0f3.jpeg

8D0BBA99-748D-4567-9A82-89890328EE1E.thumb.png.a52b6e07ca7d0101ee1ece8cd8aad295.png