The New Map - Daniel Yergin

wondering

The New Map (Energy, Climate, and the Clash of Nations) by Daniel Yergin

Basically a summary of the big international events/politics over the last 20 years or so, mostly from the perspective of oil and energy.  The main premise is that energy  (which drives a lot of the word politics) now essentially has made the US, Saudia Arabia, and Russia the main players.  Side note China is also a player, but mainly in terms of being such a huge consumer of energy and using its power based on this.

The two big pluses of this book for me was 1) the story of shale gas and oil in the US and how it was such a game-changer for the US, and subsequently the rest of the world.  2) the brief overview of the other world issues such as the the South China Sea and how Russia's economy is so tied to the price of oil.  When oil is in the dumper, so is the Russian economy.

PS, As mentioned before, great overview of world issues.  The right mix of depth, but not getting too much in the weeds.

PPS, This is good book to read now, but in 2 or 3 years, this book will be hopelessly out-of-date.

Daniel Yergin never disappoints.

What I like about this book is that it reads fast. Most of the stuff/content I know but these days I read for the author's perspective rather than content.

I am at page 250 ish or so.

Will tag & bag this one before Christmas

• 2 weeks later...