Seeking Alpha

Crip1

I am considering subscribing to Seeking Alpha and would appreciate the thoughts from other board members on the relative merits of the service (or various subscription levels). There seems to be no limit to "stuff" on the site to be sure, but I can't gauge the usefulness of said "stuff". Thanks much.

-Crip

On 11/15/2022 at 2:18 PM, Crip1 said:

I am considering subscribing to Seeking Alpha and would appreciate the thoughts from other board members on the relative merits of the service (or various subscription levels). There seems to be no limit to "stuff" on the site to be sure, but I can't gauge the usefulness of said "stuff". Thanks much.

-Crip

My suggestion is to write an investment thesis/idea and get a free subscription for a couple of months and see if you like it. Moreover, TIKR is also another option that is free with some features unlocked if you subscribe. You can also use both to supplement whatever you need. 

Ive used SA to scroll through big headlines of several watchlists, as Google Finance is not at the same level yet. But everyone uses these things for different purposes. 

On 11/15/2022 at 2:18 PM, Crip1 said:

-Crip

I like tikr as well and pay for a subscription.  I believe subscriptions are on sale right now. Seeking alpha is good to get a company overview, but I like looking through fund filings to find ideas. You can find ways around the SA paywall if you only want to read the article. 

7 hours ago, Ross812 said:

I like tikr as well and pay for a subscription.  I believe subscriptions are on sale right now. Seeking alpha is good to get a company overview, but I like looking through fund filings to find ideas. You can find ways around the SA paywall if you only want to read the article. 

Signal to noise ratio is very bad in seekingalpha. I used it way more years ago than I do now. There are just too many junk authors there.

Tikr subscription is very much worth it, it’s a huge time saver.

I pay for both TIKR and SA. 

I use TIKR for its screener.

I use SA for getting top level look at a company and reading through opinions on companies. Whats the bull case? whats the bear case? Who has the opposite opinion of me and do they have valid arguments? I like it for this kind of crap. 

Then if it passes this filter I go back to TIKR to evaluate the financials further. Cant beat TIKR for the price when it comes to financial evaluation tools IMO.

42 minutes ago, Longnose said:

I pay for both TIKR and SA. 

I use TIKR for its screener.

I use SA for getting top level look at a company and reading through opinions on companies. Whats the bull case? whats the bear case? Who has the opposite opinion of me and do they have valid arguments? I like it for this kind of crap. 

Then if it passes this filter I go back to TIKR to evaluate the financials further. Cant beat TIKR for the price when it comes to financial evaluation tools IMO.

Almost exactly the same for me too.

Its best value to me is mainlining the bull and bear cases via elevator pitch type deliveries. From there I can filter out whats worth moving further on myself. 

On 11/18/2022 at 6:33 AM, Spekulatius said:

Signal to noise ratio is very bad in seekingalpha. I used it way more years ago than I do now. There are just too many junk authors there.

Tikr subscription is very much worth it, it’s a huge time saver.

Agreed, years ago there was more quality articles, now its turned into complete garbage, zero thought goes into the majority of articles and its just regurgitation of facts from CNBC or Marketwatch, stick some numbers in there and a super vague thesis for or against...just enough to get an article written and then post. Not worth the time IMO, the objective is to get an article that will get comments and clicks (like much of social media) quality is not a priority. Maybe its better with a subscription, I would hope, but not really interested. I used to like to read the comments more than the articles for both sides of the thesis, I found more value in the comments than the authors themselves...but many of the comment threads have turned into arguments etc also so havent spent much time there either. 

Edited by Blugolds11