Trading Fairfax Financial (FRFHF) on Vanguard

JGBRK

As a poster elsewhere mentioned for some odd reason Vanguard no longer allows the trading of Over the Counter stocks with a market capitalization of less than $300 million on their platform.  For some odd reason they have included FRFHF in this category thus making FRFHF untradeable with Vanguard.  I have been arguing (doing battle) with Vanguard for about a week regarding this policy.  If anyone else has a Vanguard Brokerage Account and feels this policy is as stupid as I do, please reach out to Vanguard and let them know your thoughts.

On 9/17/2022 at 11:52 AM, JGBRK said:

As a poster elsewhere mentioned for some odd reason Vanguard no longer allows the trading of Over the Counter stocks with a market capitalization of less than $300 million on their platform.  For some odd reason they have included FRFHF in this category thus making FRFHF untradeable with Vanguard.  I have been arguing (doing battle) with Vanguard for about a week regarding this policy.  If anyone else has a Vanguard Brokerage Account and feels this policy is as stupid as I do, please reach out to Vanguard and let them know your thoughts.

Hear, hear!

Yeah, I'm on board and will contact them as well.  I've been pretty tempted lately to pull some money out of Vanguard just to be able to buy additional FRFHF......  I imagine if enough people threaten to pull money off their system they'll hopefully do something about it.  

3 hours ago, KFS said:

Yeah, I'm on board and will contact them as well.  I've been pretty tempted lately to pull some money out of Vanguard just to be able to buy additional FRFHF......  I imagine if enough people threaten to pull money off their system they'll hopefully do something about it.  

Well, good luck with that. Vanguard treated me like garbage when I asked to speak to a manager about FFH. And, I wasn’t rude or anything. I was just shocked when I said I would likely transfer my existing FFH shares (not a small number) to another brokerage that trades FFH, and the kid basically just says, “so, is there anything else I can do for you?” (I’m sure Bogle flipped in his grave.)

In contrast, Ameritrade treats me like royalty and I have less than 15% of my portfolio with them. (Though that’s changing every time I pick up more FFH.)

I say hold your Vanguard ETFs and Mutual funds in a Vanguard account, so you don’t get charged extortionist transaction fees. But, move everything else to a brokerage that actually cares about keeping your business.

#cancelVanguard

haha

Edited by Thrifty3000

This is for the "In what it's worth Department."

I just got off the telephone with a Vanguard supervisor named Kim DeSoto (phonetic spelling).  She advised that costs and quality of service were the primary drivers of this decision.  Ms. DeSoto also said they have received several complaints in regards to their decision to eliminate OTC stocks.  She said she would elevate my complaint.

If anyone is inclined to bellyache to Vanguard, now may be the time. 

3 hours ago, JGBRK said:

This is for the "In what it's worth Department."

I just got off the telephone with a Vanguard supervisor named Kim DeSoto (phonetic spelling).  She advised that costs and quality of service were the primary drivers of this decision.  Ms. DeSoto also said they have received several complaints in regards to their decision to eliminate OTC stocks.  She said she would elevate my complaint.

If anyone is inclined to bellyache to Vanguard, now may be the time. 

I’ve never had issues like this with Fidelity and they have very attractive money market rates while holding cash. What’s the angle on using Vanguard in the first place? Can’t imagine they have Schwab or Fidelity scale in the brokerage part of their business. 

15 hours ago, Gregmal said:

Yea FFH has like a 50% look through earnings yield at interactive, wink wink. Especially right now, you don’t wanna be wasting time with brokers who aren’t accommodative.

@gregmal I don’t have an interactive account. What is the 50% look through earnings yield you mentioned? Does interactive provide their own analysis?