Thoughts on vehicle color and crash risk?

LearningMachine

Has anyone looked into how much impact vehicle color has on risk of crash? 

Monash University in Australia looked at the data and found that White significantly decreases probability of crash depending on type of vehicle. 

For example, a low-visibility vehicle like a Black 4WD in dark is 53% more likely to be involved in a crash than a White 4WD.  During the day, Black 4WD is 24% more likely compared to White 4WD.

See An Investigation into the Relationship between Vehicle Colour and Crash Risk (monash.edu)

There was another study published in British Medical Journal in 2003 that the Monash study references as well, but the BMJ study is not as thorough, covers much much smaller data-set, and doesn't distinguish between vehicle types and time of day, etc. 

Any thoughts?  Wonder if insurance rates take this account for some auto insurers? 

Edited by LearningMachine

21 minutes ago, LearningMachine said:

Has anyone looked into how much impact vehicle color has on risk of crash? 

Monash University in Australia looked at the data and found that White significantly decreases probability of crash depending on type of vehicle. 

For example, a low-visibility vehicle like a Black 4WD in dark is 53% more likely to be involved in a crash than a White 4WD.  During the day, Black 4WD is 24% more likely compared to White 4WD.

See An Investigation into the Relationship between Vehicle Colour and Crash Risk (monash.edu)

There was another study published in British Medical Journal in 2003 that the Monash study references as well, but the BMJ study is not as thorough, covers much much smaller data-set, and doesn't distinguish between vehicle types and time of day, etc. 

Any thoughts?  Wonder if insurance rates take this account for some auto insurers? 

Makes sense. But living in Canada i have always questioned why anyone would want to own a white vehicle in the parts of the country where the winters are bad. So my guess, is the ‘best’ colours will vary somewhat by geography. 

Edited by Viking

2 hours ago, gfp said:

There is a reason the school bus is the color it is.  This is not groundbreaking research

This used to be my car.  

Wasn't my style,  but the price was right. 

I later learned to love the color- never lost it in a parking lot. 

Really stood out against a sea of black blue and white. 

Was never in a crash. 

Repair bills were a pain tho.

1540-818.jpg

Yeah they always used to say that hot blond girls in red cars got pulled over most often.  Not sure if that is still a thing.  Do people still get pulled over in 2022?

I remember many years ago it cost me a bunch more to insure a Land Rover defender because of the damage they felt it would do to the other vehicle in a crash.  Or at least that's what someone at USAA told me.  Now everyone in the U.S. is driving around in huge full size trucks and SUVs so it probably isn't a factor.

My elderly mother has had more accidents with grey and charcoal colored cars so she stopped buying that color.

1 hour ago, gfp said:

Yeah they always used to say that hot blond girls in red cars got pulled over most often.  Not sure if that is still a thing.  Do people still get pulled over in 2022?

I remember many years ago it cost me a bunch more to insure a Land Rover defender because of the damage they felt it would do to the other vehicle in a crash.  Or at least that's what someone at USAA told me.  Now everyone in the U.S. is driving around in huge full size trucks and SUVs so it probably isn't a factor.

My elderly mother has had more accidents with grey and charcoal colored cars so she stopped buying that color.

People do get pulled over, mostly for speeding. The type of car matters much more than the color. If you drive a souped up rice racer with low suspension and dark window tints, expect to get pulled over more than driving a minivan.

Edited by Spekulatius