Where are you going.. (Travel Thread)

Longnose

Figured I'd start a thread to see where everyone's favorite travel destinations are. 

Where do you have vacation homes? 

Where are your repeat vacation spots?

What are must see places? (North America vs Internationally)

What is your next adventure?

My wife and I are doing a 7 day cruise down the Mexican coast in September. 

We are discussing a trip to Thailand spring 2023. 

Since this is largely Canadian forum, I am happy to report that I have just returned home from my first trip to Canada.  A wonderful week in Victoria and Lake Cowichan.  We had a great time and I can't wait to return.  Victoria was certainly a nice change of pace from New Orleans.  I guess Vancouver Island is a rain forest.  It certainly looked the part.

Recently went to India to see family. Stopped by London on the way back.

No vacation home.

Repeats/Favorites are Goa, Paris, Munich and the surrounding area, Hawaii.

Must see places we haven't been to yet are

North America - Yellowstone and Canadian Rockies via Rocky Mountaineer Train

International -  Italy, Spain, Japan, Egypt, Ngorongoro. 

If Cruising along the pacific side in September we found the Mexico cruise boring. Alaska cruise was soooo much better.

We have a vacation home at a lake 1.5 hours from our house and spend quite a bit of time there when it isn't rented on AirBnB.

Repeats are Costa Rica and south France (wife speaks French).

Must see we have been to are really anywhere in Europe - we travel for wine, Bonaire (scuba), and Goa/Jodhpur India.

We have tickets booked for Portugal and France this fall/spring. We are also planning on returning to India - Uttar Pradesh and Punjab.

46 minutes ago, Longnose said:

Where do you have vacation homes? 

Where are your repeat vacation spots?

What are must see places? (North America vs Internationally)

Vacation home Florida Keys

Vacation spots: Wildwood/Cape May/Stone Harbor, Hilton Head, Florida Keys

Must see...dunno. Generally just stick with what I know and like 

Next adventure...really wanna check out Hawk Lake and those pig Walleye.

I just went to South Africa.  Spent several days in Cape Town and then several days on safari in Kruger Park.  In Cape Town we hiked to the top of Table Mountain, kids did paragliding, we did a sunset cruise, saw penguins, and learned about Apartheid and visited Robben Island (where Mandela was imprisoned).  The city is really nice and modern overall, but there are townships outside of the city where thousands of people live in small metal shacks.  Pretty crazy how much wealth disparity exists there.

In Kruger, we drove through the park to see many wild animals and stayed in small cabins in fenced-in areas of the park.  We then spent a couple of days in a private game reserve where we could go off-road and see even more animals.  

The people in South Africa were very friendly and happy to see tourism return to the country.

An added benefit for value investors - the US dollar is very strong against the Rand.  You can get a nice meal at a sit-down restaurant for the equivalent of $7 and a really nice meal for $20.  I felt like a king!

Where do you have vacation homes?  No vacation homes

Where are your repeat vacation spots? Cancun, Mexico

What are must see places?  Peru - In Dec I climbed Mount Salkantay (5000m) and then did the hike to Machu Peechu.   It was incredible and I highly recommend this trip to anyone and everyone.  

What is your next adventure? Thailand / Vietnam in Dec 

Edited by ourkid8

^^^ amazing. 
In 2018, I did the Rainbow mountain, went as far 5,100 meters. Came back to Cusco for the night. And did 4-day hike in Manuch Pichu the day after. 

you are picking my interest with Salkanty. 

Just came back from a 2 weeks from Sicily. Spend 7 days of it bicycling and seeing 7 different cities. Did about 450 km over 7 days, each day with 700-900 meter elevation. First 3-4 days temperature ranged 35-36 degree. 

Edited by Xerxes

3 hours ago, gfp said:

Since this is largely Canadian forum, I am happy to report that I have just returned home from my first trip to Canada.  A wonderful week in Victoria and Lake Cowichan.  We had a great time and I can't wait to return.  Victoria was certainly a nice change of pace from New Orleans.  I guess Vancouver Island is a rain forest.  It certainly looked the part.

Oh contraire, mon frère!  Over 67% of the users are American, about 18% Canadian and 15% outside North America.

Victoria and Lake Cowichan are both beautiful!  Glad you had a good time in my neck of the woods!  Cheers!

Where do you have vacation homes?  No vacation homes...can't justify owning one unless I go there often, and I'm not interested in being a property manager. 

Where are your repeat vacation spots?  Locally...Victoria, Osoyoos (Okanagan wine country), Whistler and Seattle. 

What are must see places? (North America vs Internationally) That I've been too...well Vancouver of course...Montreal...a leisurely drive on the Pacific Highway from near Portland all the way to San Diego...Chicago (like New York, but the people are really nice)...Omaha (must make the pilgrimage at least once)...Maui....internationally...Mumbai, Beijing, Sydney, Hong Kong, Brisbane and Surfer's Paradise, Christchurch New Zealand, Shanghai and last but not least Fiji!

What is your next adventure?  I haven't travelled Europe at all believe it or not!  I plan on spending two-four weeks a year in different spots in Europe for the next 10 years, starting with London.  Was planning on going this year, but was worried about Omicron and airline/terminal service issues.  Will start on this for sure next year!

Cheers!

No vacation homes. Too inflexible and too expensive.

I´m writing this message from Greece (Chalkidiki) with a beautiful view at the mediterranean see. 😉 We are on holidays.

Greece is very beautiful.

In november we will travel to South Africa for the second time. I can recommend the Tsitsikamma National park. The first time was fantastic.

Some years back we were at the Maledives. That was fantastic, too.

I really never regretted spending money for a great holiday. 

On 7/21/2022 at 3:52 PM, Gregmal said:

Vacation home Florida Keys

Vacation spots: Wildwood/Cape May/Stone Harbor, Hilton Head, Florida Keys

Must see...dunno. Generally just stick with what I know and like 

Next adventure...really wanna check out Hawk Lake and those pig Walleye.

The Keys are great. In college for Spring break we would camp on Bahia Honda. It was a group from my fraternity and a group from a neighboring sorority. It is how I met my wife!

No vacation home but looking into potentially buying a cottage somewhere in Ontario (if anyone has any advice / locations I'd love to hear it).

Favourite vacation spots: Tokyo / Kyoto - I've been to Japan a couple of times now and I miss it there. The food is amazing and the contrast between the ultra modern Tokyo and Kyoto with ancient temples is surreal (my favourite place in Tokyo is Meiji Jingu shrine - feels like you are transported to another realm when you walk through the Torii gates). Other favourite places: Berlin, Amsterdam, Mexico City (a hidden gem), San Sebastian in Spain, Utah, Detroit (for Movement festival), Tofino / Long Beach. 

Must see places: Really want to go to Vietnam, Hawaii, South America, Yellowstone / Montana. 

Next adventure: Going on a camping trip to Lake Superior Provincial Park which is a really beautiful part of Ontario, the drive along the coast is stunning and there are some of the most beautiful beaches I've been to in the world with almost no one there. Also going to a destination wedding in Dominican.

Spent most of this year travelling, much to the detriment of my portfolio. Mexico, Cape Verde, Argentina, Brazil and Switzerland. All are beautiful in their own respective ways, however Brazil and Argentina were pretty special (Food, weather, culture, scenery). Rio is special, a city on the beach and surrounded by jungle.

Colorado, New York, montreal, Italy. Generally in that order of operations as the properties are owned in the family.

Spent the day fishing the yampa outside steamboat. Great to float also if that’s your thing!

21 hours ago, Spooky said:

No vacation home but looking into potentially buying a cottage somewhere in Ontario (if anyone has any advice / locations I'd love to hear it).

Favourite vacation spots: Tokyo / Kyoto - I've been to Japan a couple of times now and I miss it there. The food is amazing and the contrast between the ultra modern Tokyo and Kyoto with ancient temples is surreal (my favourite place in Tokyo is Meiji Jingu shrine - feels like you are transported to another realm when you walk through the Torii gates). Other favourite places: Berlin, Amsterdam, Mexico City (a hidden gem), San Sebastian in Spain, Utah, Detroit (for Movement festival), Tofino / Long Beach. 

Must see places: Really want to go to Vietnam, Hawaii, South America, Yellowstone / Montana. 

Next adventure: Going on a camping trip to Lake Superior Provincial Park which is a really beautiful part of Ontario, the drive along the coast is stunning and there are some of the most beautiful beaches I've been to in the world with almost no one there. Also going to a destination wedding in Dominican.

Actually, you'd be in my neck of the woods.  Literally.  

Moved to Northern Ontario 10 yrs ago from Toronto.  My 'cottage' is now a condo in downtown TO.  My home is on Lake Superior.  15 min to the US border and 1hr flight from downtown Toronto.

Can't beat the lifestyle here IMO. No traffic. Low cost of living = more disposable (or investible) income.

I was actually laughing reading a recent Macleans article on the headaches of the ultra rich in the Muskokas.  

Unlimited access to nature - boating, fishing, camping, skiing (yes, even downhill), world class mountain biking.  You name it. 

For cottages, consider Batchewana bay/ Montreal  Harbor area.  

No vacation homes. We do the euro thing and have 5-10% participating equity stakes in small hotels/pensions instead.

No repeat vacation spots, as the world is too big a place. Odd numbered years are in Canada, even numbered are abroad.

Long bucket list of must see places. Working our way through both London to Cape Town overland, and London to Kathmandu overland. Big difference is that we stay at a lot better places than the hippies used to!

Next adventure is a euro trip and disposal of liquor/caviar. Thereafter a stop over in the Azores for a week of hiking on the way to Xmas in the UK, and a stop over in Reykjavik over New Years Eve on the way home. The fireworks are spectacular, and every good Icelander takes it on as his/her personal responsibility to make as much noise as possible - starting at around 11:00 am when it's already dark !!

SD 

56 minutes ago, SharperDingaan said:

No vacation homes. We do the euro thing and have 5-10% participating equity stakes in small hotels/pensions instead.

No repeat vacation spots, as the world is too big a place. Odd numbered years are in Canada, even numbered are abroad.

Long bucket list of must see places. Working our way through both London to Cape Town overland, and London to Kathmandu overland. Big difference is that we stay at a lot better places than the hippies used to!

Next adventure is a euro trip and disposal of liquor/caviar. Thereafter a stop over in the Azores for a week of hiking on the way to Xmas in the UK, and a stop over in Reykjavik over New Years Eve on the way home. The fireworks are spectacular, and every good Icelander takes it on as his/her personal responsibility to make as much noise as possible - starting at around 11:00 am when it's already dark !!

SD 

Are you James Bond? Either that or the Most Interesting Man In The World.

Semi-retired 😀

These days I work primarily for fun, mental health, and the funds/ability to travel. 

The pensions are family investments in Paris and Granada, each 5% ownership also requiring the owner to be managing 'on-site' two weeks/year. It's more work versus play, but its free room and board, and you get to enjoy the city in your off time. Mom/sister manage Paris, nephews/I manage Granada.

Overland travel definitely isn't for everyone, but it is an incredible experience. Typically it's 2-3 weeks in a bumpy/dusty truck, over a section of rough wilderness route, then fly home. String all the sections together over a few years, and you've gone from London to Cape Town. Navigating conflict zones, famines, disease, etc. is pretty commonplace, and part of the charm. However, as my spouse prefers the creature comforts; it's usually just me in the truck, and we catch up at the end of each section - after I've had a good bath! 

I've seen the pyramids from a hot air balloon, sailed down the Nile (Agatha Christie style), sailed Lake Nasser in a Felucca, and crossed the Sahara in 4x4's. Been on safari in Botswana, canoed in the Okavango, seen Victoria Falls, Great Zimbabwe, and dived in Lake Malawi. Lots of nights camping in the bush under the stars. Going east, we've dived in the Aegean over submerged Roman ruins, sailed the Turkish/Greek islands, and made our way to Ankara via Istanbul (highly recommended). Swum over the top of a Parthenon, in a cloud of fish!

High on the outstanding bucket list is a tour of Rajasthan, the Galapagos/Machu Picchu, and a circumnavigation of Australia.

The rest is just apprenticing the nephews in the booze trade!

SD

Edited by SharperDingaan

On 7/23/2022 at 12:11 PM, Spooky said:

I am also going to lake superior provincial park in the second week of august, 4 nights at Agawa bay campground.  It looks amazing

1 hour ago, Jaygo said:

I am also going to lake superior provincial park in the second week of august, 4 nights at Agawa bay campground.  It looks amazing

Well, we’re almost neighbors! Spend quite a bit of time up on the north shores of Gitche Gumee, northern WI and MN. I just spent a week in Voyagers National Park, took the boat 16mi back in to an island campsite, enjoyed the northern lights, and ate fresh fish every night. Somehow a snake made its way into the boat (still haven’t figured that one out but made for an interesting couple minutes) checked out Kettle Falls, most enjoyably no cell phones etc work, so its a great way to check out for a bit. 

3 of us went in, left Sunday morning, 2 boats, the main boat was a new Lund set up for big water walleyes, the other was a small 14ft oldie with a 25hp Merc…the trip in was fine, clear skies and smooth sailing, hardly any wind…by the time we were ready to go, the weather had changed drastically, tremendous wind, storms and rain, when we left the storms/rains had stopped but the wind was still a little rowdy, I rode in on the newer boat, but when we left, the buddy who was captaining the smaller boat decided that the water was too rough and that he didnt wanna try it, I told him no problem, I would take it back to the visitors center were we put in and he could take it easy in the comfy newer model…..

He snapped a pic of me during the trip….

I was completely drenched, I had that little 25hp pegged WFO the whole trip, up/down/left/right, it was pretty much chaos the entire trip back, and it took us about an hour to go the 16mi in good weather, so these waters made for a pretty firm grip on the tiller for a couple hours..

Shortly after I pulled the boat up to the dock, I was sitting there for a minute…kinda glad it was over…and a Sheriffs boat was just pulling in to the slip next to me, he said…”It’s pretty rough out there, you might not wanna head out…” I said…”Head out! I just got in!” 

On 7/23/2022 at 7:49 PM, rkbabang said:

I have a vacation home on Lake Winnipesaukee and have already spent 4 weeks there this summer and will spend Labor Day week there as well.  Also going to Punta Cana for a week in October.

Do you know a Dr. Leo Marvin? 

Where do you have vacation homes?

Had two lake cabins on spectate lakes in Northern WI, sale just closed one last Friday, downsizing and prices were high, market in that area has cooled off even since the bringing of summer. The remaining cabin is 2hrs from home, just enough to feel like you’re getting away but not enough to feel like a pain to get there. I’ve built this remaking place from the ground up so its been enjoyable, but generally I don’t like the idea of another property to care for, maintain and feel obligated to go to since its costing money, mostly I like the freedom to try other places and explore so if I end up selling this one as well, I don’t think I would own another vacation place..I can rent Airbnb wherever you want for weeks per year at a cost of less than just the property taxes on a place…don’t get me wrong, it can make sense, I just think I would go a different route. 

Where are your repeat vacation spots? In-country my favorite is Northern MN, and the western states, primarily Montana. I had family on the east coast and enjoyed regular trips to Maine…it actually reminded me quite a bit of….Northern MN. Internationally, I love Italy, the culture, the history, the food, the architecture…and the “Scenery”  isn’t bad either. I swear an Italian 2 > MN 10.

What are must see places? (North America vs Internationally) North American National parks are great, my favorite is Glacier NP in Montana, probably followed by Banff NP. International I would tailor to your personal interests..Amsterdam has some interesting history with regard to previous trade, commerce, past world power, naval superiority, Anne Frank house, art, a lot of interesting stuff I enjoyed there, but everyone thinks of drugs and girls (I didnt sample either). Some people love to sit on a beach and drink all day in the sun…to me that is boring so my travels usually involve experiences with historical things, adventures, cultures…I don’t care for tourist traps really, I like to get off the beaten path and experience the area from the locals view if possible. 

Had a trip to Spain/Austria booked that got canceled due to Covid…probably will rebook that one, I have wanted to go to Japan for a while, so thanks to the poster above for recommending Kyoto, I have been almost everywhere that I would like in my “1st tier” choices in the world..I’m now starting to either revisit them or get into the 2nd tier..I seem to always sneak Italy in there, Istanbul is on the short list, probably spend some time in Panama, I have a friend there that I built a 36ft sailboat with, he bought a bed and breakfast there when he retired and has been asking me to come down for a while. I would like to spend some more time in the Nordic countries, Sweden. Finland, Norway….can always use more Hygge.

EDEC7728-1856-4023-B3AF-AB3EBD62F568.jpeg

10 hours ago, SharperDingaan said:

Overland travel definitely isn't for everyone, but it is an incredible experience. Typically it's 2-3 weeks in a bumpy/dusty truck, over a section of rough wilderness route, then fly home. String all the sections together over a few years, and you've gone from London to Cape Town. Navigating conflict zones, famines, disease, etc. is pretty commonplace, and part of the charm. However, as my spouse prefers the creature comforts; it's usually just me in the truck, and we catch up at the end of each section - after I've had a good bath! 

I've seen the pyramids from a hot air balloon, sailed down the Nile (Agatha Christie style), sailed Lake Nasser in a Felucca, and crossed the Sahara in 4x4's. Been on safari in Botswana, canoed in the Okavango, seen Victoria Falls, Great Zimbabwe, and dived in Lake Malawi. Lots of nights camping in the bush under the stars. Going east, we've dived in the Aegean over submerged Roman ruins, sailed the Turkish/Greek islands, and made our way to Ankara via Istanbul (highly recommended). Swum over the top of a Parthenon, in a cloud of fish!

very impressive SD. I always figured I ll be doing an overland trip in Africa. But in today’ world it always seems to be far in the future. (Time, investment needed)