The Network State

Dave86ch

"once we remember that Facebook has 3B+ users, Twitter has 300M+, and many individual influencers have 1M+ followers, it starts to be not too crazy to imagine we can build a 1-10M person startup society with a genuine sense of national consciousness, an integrated cryptocurrency, and a plan to crowdfund many pieces of territory around the world. With the internet, we can digitally sew these disjoint enclaves together into a new kind of polity that achieves diplomatic recognition: a network state."

Complete book

1729.com

71ZeCLHRzvL._SL1500_.thumb.jpg.4e5ce831cabfcfac38c4144f2c965de1.jpg

Edited by Dave86ch

35 minutes ago, Castanza said:

The new hippy communes destined to fail 

LOL. It all sounds great until you realize how flawed people are. Often not even within the same family can people get on the same page when it comes to use of property, money etc.

Maybe with some kind of rating system, where people with a low rating get excluded from the network. Oh wait, that's a Back Mirror episode...

21 hours ago, backtothebeach said:

LOL. It all sounds great until you realize how flawed people are. Often not even within the same family can people get on the same page when it comes to use of property, money etc.

Maybe with some kind of rating system, where people with a low rating get excluded from the network. Oh wait, that's a Back Mirror episode...

Not impossible with a trustless governance.

It describes some lollapalooza effects related to bitcoin, interesting from an investing perspective.

Moreover this book is full of food for thoughts, well written and free.

Edited by Dave86ch

Thanks I’m going to check this out.  My initial thought is that Network=good

State=bad

Networking people together is a good thing with powerful effects. Creating yet another coercive criminal organization to rob from them and pretend to protect them is probably not a good idea.  The world has far too much statism as it is.  I’ll withhold further comments until I read it though, I don’t want to judge a book completely by its cover.

2 hours ago, rkbabang said:

Thanks I’m going to check this out.  My initial thought is that Network=good

State=bad

Networking people together is a good thing with powerful effects. Creating yet another coercive criminal organization to rob from them and pretend to protect them is probably not a good idea.  The world has far too much statism as it is.  I’ll withhold further comments until I read it though, I don’t want to judge a book completely by its cover.

I appreciate your open mindness, give it a chance.

This book is literally an injection of food for thoughts, useful also for traditional investors and crypto skeptics.

It just needs the reader's willingness to be sufficiently open minded to go beyond prejudices and biases.

• 2 months later...
On 7/9/2022 at 1:06 PM, Dave86ch said:

I appreciate your open mindness, give it a chance.

This book is literally an injection of food for thoughts, useful also for traditional investors and crypto skeptics.

It just needs the reader's willingness to be sufficiently open minded to go beyond prejudices and biases.

Thanks so much for recommending this!  I finally got around to reading it.  I just finished it last night and wrote a review of it on goodreads today: 

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/4855744711

As I said in my review his analysis of the current situation is excellent with a lot to think about on every page, indeed in every paragraph.  I read the html version on my iPad and spent time clicking and reading most of the hyperlinks throughout the text as well.  I'm not so sure about Network States themselves though and I don't think things will play out exactly as he envisions.  I tend to think it will be more decentralized and less formal structured organizations like states, and I don't see nation states every formally recognizing network states.   But however it happens I do agree with him that somehow the 3rd leviathan will make the 2nd obsolete in the same way that the 2nd made the 1st obsolete after the enlightenment. 

Just before reading this I read "The End of the World Is Just the Beginning: Mapping the Collapse of Globalization" by Peter Zeihan and found it fascinating as well.  He looks at things completely as a static person of the state, ignoring the network entirely.  He even explicitly dismisses Bitcoin as an example of bubble foolishness.  But his analysis of demographics is what I found interesting.  It is something that The Network State doesn't take into account and it will have a large impact on the coming decades.  It is worth the read for that reason alone.  The next 20-60 years are going to be interesting times.

On 9/14/2022 at 10:08 AM, rkbabang said:

Thanks so much for recommending this!  I finally got around to reading it.  I just finished it last night and wrote a review of it on goodreads today: 

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/4855744711

As I said in my review his analysis of the current situation is excellent with a lot to think about on every page, indeed in every paragraph.  I read the html version on my iPad and spent time clicking and reading most of the hyperlinks throughout the text as well.  I'm not so sure about Network States themselves though and I don't think things will play out exactly as he envisions.  I tend to think it will be more decentralized and less formal structured organizations like states, and I don't see nation states every formally recognizing network states.   But however it happens I do agree with him that somehow the 3rd leviathan will make the 2nd obsolete in the same way that the 2nd made the 1st obsolete after the enlightenment. 

Just before reading this I read "The End of the World Is Just the Beginning: Mapping the Collapse of Globalization" by Peter Zeihan and found it fascinating as well.  He looks at things completely as a static person of the state, ignoring the network entirely.  He even explicitly dismisses Bitcoin as an example of bubble foolishness.  But his analysis of demographics is what I found interesting.  It is something that The Network State doesn't take into account and it will have a large impact on the coming decades.  It is worth the read for that reason alone.  The next 20-60 years are going to be interesting times.

I appreciated your effort the read the entire book before give some judgement,

a good exampe of open mindness.

I'm part of the Balaji pilot experiment which is named 1729, a lot of smart people and cool stuff.

As you said it will probably develop in a slightly different way in respect of what the book envision,

but as you said the next decades will be interesting for sure

The book and the pilot projects as well, are good means to develop a different perspective in a more and more dynamic/unstable environment.

Edited by Dave86ch