China

Viking

17 minutes ago, sleepydragon said:

rare earth is not rare at all. It’s everywhere. American stopped mining it because it’s too cheap and labor is too costly.

this is like saying American has a monopoly on coal mining — it’s not like this is a easy and money making nice job.

Exactly - the rare earth metals are actually quite abundant in the earth crust. I bet there are better deposits than the Chinese have - we just need to develop them.

The Chinese were just the first to recognize the importance and put effort in developing those mines. 

35 minutes ago, Spekulatius said:

The Chinese were just the first to recognize the importance and put effort in developing those mines. 

I'd rather say the chinese were the most willing to pollute their environment and hence the cheapest place to do rare earth mining. It's a very dirty process producing lots of toxic waste, about 2000 tons of toxic waste for every ton of rare earth. 

https://www.ft.com/content/6ca9a470-59ee-4809-8a5b-35f6073c9907

Ottawa has ordered three Chinese groups to divest their stakes in Canadian critical mineral companies after a defence and intelligence review concluded that the investments posed a threat to national security.
In a move that reflected a significant hardening of Canada’s stance towards China, the government ordered Sinomine (Hong Kong) Rare Metals Resources to exit its stake in Power Metals, a Canadian lithium miner.
Ottawa also instructed Chengze Lithium International to divest its stake in Lithium Chile and told Zangge Mining Investment (Chengdu) to unwind its investment in Ultra Lithium, another Canadian resource developer.
Industry minister François-Philippe Champagne said Canada welcomed foreign direct investment from companies that “share our interests and values(opens a new window)” but would “act decisively when investments threaten our national security and our critical minerals supply chains”.

On 10/31/2022 at 1:39 PM, sleepydragon said:

rare earth is not rare at all. It’s everywhere. American stopped mining it because it’s too cheap and labor is too costly.

this is like saying American has a monopoly on coal mining — it’s not like this is a easy and money making nice job.

you are right that they are abundance of availability  , what makes  china monopoly is the refining process and refinery  , which is very hard  to process which took china to eventually build that in last 20 years 

^ Interesting.

Early, when the numbers were small, foreigners in Saudi who tested positive were quarantined in hotels until tested negative (or 10 days). They were hospitalized if symptomatic.

I spent 10 days in a hotel room after a 4 day hospital stay. Slept the time away because I was pretty sick, but friends who were asymptomatic had a tougher time feeling trapped.

1 hour ago, Ulti said:

i do greatly respect Munger’s views on investing… his clip in the video on China sounded pretty unsophisticated. The West and China (CCP) have different values. And under Xi, China has publicly proclaimed that it wants to take its value system international. They are upping their game. 

I would say it is idealistic not unsophisticated. He is definitely right - it would be in both countries' interest to find a way to co-exist and succeed. The alternative is not good.

The rest of the world is not going to easily accept the CCP's worldview that individuals do not have universal basic rights. The CCP will need to bend in some fashion to co-exist in the world and, potentially, with its own citizens. The first episode of the economist's new podcast series on China was interesting: https://play.acast.com/s/633ebf6dfc7f5a0012acdc97/636d16a557167f001234ed9e

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-11-24/china-regulator-s-new-buzzword-fuels-buying-spree-in-state-firms?leadSource=uverify wall

A new term coined by China’s securities chief has investors debating whether it implies a premium for state-owned firms and companies better aligned with national goals. A “valuation system with Chinese characteristics” has become the latest buzzword, after China Securities Regulatory Commission Chairman Yi Huiman devised the term during a speech this week and proposed a new method of valuing state, private and foreign controlled firms. 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-11-27/china-covid-unrest-boils-over-as-citizens-defy-lockdown-efforts?srnd=premium-europe

The widespread dissent has raised concern that the government may respond with a crackdown to stifle further protests. “I think a crackdown is predictable. I think that will happen,” said Link at the University of California. “The determination that a man like Xi Jinping has to fight back is ironclad. He'll go to the mat.”

9 hours ago, UK said:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-11-27/china-covid-unrest-boils-over-as-citizens-defy-lockdown-efforts?srnd=premium-europe

The widespread dissent has raised concern that the government may respond with a crackdown to stifle further protests. “I think a crackdown is predictable. I think that will happen,” said Link at the University of California. “The determination that a man like Xi Jinping has to fight back is ironclad. He'll go to the mat.”

Crackdown or not, it increasingly seems like the days of COVID-0 in its most extreme form (i.e. Shanghai lockdowns) is pretty much over. The risk to social stability is probably greater with continuing lockdowns than having uncontrolled spread (think India when it got hit with Delta, it obviously was bad, but the wave was over in a month).

https://www.berlingske.dk/globalt/det-er-aar-2026-og-nu-kommer-kinas-invasion-ikke-siden-d-dag-har-vi-set

Translation:
“It is the year 2026 and now comes China's invasion. Not since D-Day have we seen anything so violent

Once many made fun of those who feared an invasion. Now their laughter has hardened. Berlingske has gone through a number of so-called war simulations, and here we present them as a digital narrative. The simulations show us how the battle for Taiwan can take place. If you're not worried yet, you will be.

Taiwan is not just the island of Taiwan. Around it lie several small islands. Some are so close to mainland China that you can see them with the naked eye. It is a big, strategic challenge. Photo: Ann Wang/Reuters/Ritzau Scanpix (archive)
Taiwan is not just the island of Taiwan. Around it lie several small islands. Some are so close to mainland China that you can see them with the naked eye. It is a big, strategic challenge.
Photo: Ann Wang/Reuters/Ritzau Scanpix (archive)
Sunday 27 November 2022, at 10.26
Share this article
 gauth-alexander.sjoberg
ALEXANDER SJOBERG
Asia Correspondent
 gauth-kenneth.holm-dahlin
KENNETH HOLM-DAHLIN
Motion graphics designer

Listen to the article
7 minutes
It is counting on ballistic missiles. Bases in Japan and on Guam are being wiped out. The US is busy with a conflict in Europe. China's attack comes as a shock.

Hundreds of fighter jets and two aircraft carriers lie on the bottom of the sea. This is what everyone has feared. The year is 2026 and China's invasion of Taiwan is underway.

One by one, the small islands surrounding Taiwan itself have been swallowed up by China's mighty military. Now comes the trip to the main island. The Chinese put everything on one board, and one“