Ape virus

Ronchong

What does the board think of monkeypox and the implications on the market? Fear mongering or lockdown 2.0?

The symptoms does not seem to be as severe but still it seems contagious enough to be a cause for concern.

Lastly, the statistics coming out of Europe does not look good. Confirmed cases have essentially doubled in the last 3 days albeit from a small base.

Edited by Ronchong

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, SharperDingaan said:

I am sooooo disappointed ...

I saw the thread and sooooo thought you were talking about these ugly little suckers! https://boredapeyachtclub.com/#/

The ape virus in the NFT world !!

SD

Well, the title was also a play on wallstreetbet members so your interpretation was not exactly wrong!

2 hours ago, rolling said:

Sexual transmission has been heralded as very likely. If so, pandemic potential is irrelevant.

It spreads through aerosel, indirect and direct contact too but you are right that it does not transmit easily from human to human as very close contact is needed.

Word on the street is that there is a different variant of monkeypox that is a lot more contagious given the case count in Europe. Either that or there was a mass orgy somewhere I was not invited to!

the theory that a big part of the population no longer got smallpox vaccine seems to be the more likely scenario.  

it used to be everyone got smallpox vaccine and that was also providing protection against various pox viruses 

Edited by gary17

It seems a poor attempt to keep the global vaccination thing going.

An  attempt (WHO?) to repurpose Covid vaccine infrastructure into vaccine development for pox, malaria, polio, ebola, etc. While these diseases remain primarily a 2nd/3rd world problem, progress is very unlikely; but were they to show up in the 1st world, progress would be very rapid. Hence, welcome to monkey pox.

1st world kids in the '50's-90's used to be routinely inoculated against these diseases, as grand-parents/parents had seen what these diseases could do. Problem is that the existing inoculates have aged and croaked out, whereas the new kids have progressively not been inoculated. Result? a large pool of 1st world kids and younger adults with no inoculation, and zero experience with these diseases; plus a declining pool of aging inoculated adults with waning protection. A simple scare, diving everyone to inoculate, and these diseases stay in the box - when was the last time you saw someone with Polio?    

SD

3 hours ago, gary17 said:

the theory that a big part of the population no longer got smallpox vaccine seems to be the more likely scenario.  

it used to be everyone got smallpox vaccine and that was also providing protection against various pox viruses 

So us old grumps who grew up on the 60’s and 70’s are immune while the millennials need to hold on for dear life. Will be fun to see the political theatre about immunizations etc on that one. Mortality is about 1% potentially, so higher than COVID-19 but might hit younger people more. They are also more likely to participate in sex Orgies and other activities facilitating transmission.

2 hours ago, Spekulatius said:

So us old grumps who grew up on the 60’s and 70’s are immune while the millennials need to hold on for dear life. Will be fun to see the political theatre about immunizations etc on that one. Mortality is about 1% potentially, so higher than COVID-19 but might hit younger people more. They are also more likely to participate in sex Orgies and other activities facilitating transmission.

lmao will be a good snapshot into the future of politics for sure. 

2 hours ago, Spekulatius said:

Yep, I got my scar and I bet most millennials don't know what I am talking about.

• 2 months later...

So looking at the headlines...it seems pretty outrageous to declare this some sort of emergency. It seems pretty isolated and really anon issue for most. Yet they just cant help themselves with the headlines and fear mongering. Will people ever learn?

30 minutes ago, Gregmal said:

So looking at the headlines...it seems pretty outrageous to declare this some sort of emergency. It seems pretty isolated and really anon issue for most. Yet they just cant help themselves with the headlines and fear mongering. Will people ever learn?

It's hard not being in the spotlight when it was on you for so long.

Unlike the number of people that were vulnerable to Covid, I believe most of the cases are people who were never inoculated for Small Pox.  So, the vast majority of people shouldn't be concerned.  Mainly the anti-vaxxers are at greatest risk and for those whose immunity to Small Pox has waned.  Cheers! 

20 minutes ago, Parsad said:

Unlike the number of people that were vulnerable to Covid, I believe most of the cases are people who were never inoculated for Small Pox.  So, the vast majority of people shouldn't be concerned.  Mainly the anti-vaxxers are at greatest risk and for those whose immunity to Small Pox has waned.  Cheers! 

I was born in the early 1970s and never received the small pox vaccine.  Most Americans under 50 have not received it either.

https://www.health.ny.gov/publications/7004/

"Routine vaccination of the American public against smallpox stopped in 1972 after the disease was eradicated in the United States."

Monkeypox has some characteristics from a quick skirt around which make it NOT the next global pandemic. From what I can gather:

Good News:

Monkeypox doesn't spread asymptomatically or pre-symptomatically..........theoretically widespread monkeypox awareness PLUS track, trace, isolation if required should be VERY effective in mitigating the spread.

Bad:

Monkeypox in young children, unlike COVID, is something to be concerned about and will result in mortality in a not insignificant amount of cases........you dont want this spreading around households/schools....it will have genuine consequences.

Edited by changegonnacome

41 minutes ago, changegonnacome said:

Monkeypox has some characteristics from a quick skirt around which make it NOT the next global pandemic. From what I can gather:

Good News:

Monkeypox doesn't spread asymptomatically or pre-symptomatically..........theoretically widespread monkeypox awareness PLUS track, trace, isolation if required should be VERY effective in mitigating the spread.

Bad:

Monkeypox in young children, unlike COVID, is something to be concerned about and will result in mortality in a not insignificant amount of cases........you dont want this spreading around households/schools....it will have genuine consequences.

Monkey pox is most likely going to spread in schools and kindergartens, I think. I think it’s time to get prepared for a vaccination campaign and prioritize kids and teachers and folks with high risk.

If this become an epidemic, it will be too late to mitigate without preparation.

6 minutes ago, Spekulatius said:

Monkey pox is most likely going to spread in schools and kindergartens, I think. I think it’s time to get prepared for a vaccination campaign and prioritize kids and teachers and folks with high risk.

If that is the case then unfortunately as much as I'd like to chalk this one up to the media just looking for its COVID 2.0 story/clickbait.....monkeypox is something that will have an impact................ what makes it different though and its an important difference which drove all the lockdown ideas of COVID was the asymptomatic exponential spread i.e. by the time you felt sick you'd already infected 100 or 200 people......from everything I'm reading having the symptoms of monkeypox and being infectious with monkeypox overlap with a high correlation - this will requires less of the cracking a peanut with a sledgehammer approach that COVID required.

Schools and childcare might be the primary transmission vector. toddlers and small kids like to touch. From there it gets to the parents and pretty much everywhere else.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-07-29/as-monkeypox-spreads-kids-can-get-monkeypox-too

Evolutionary pressure likely makes monkeypox more infective if we get enough cases. I don't think this is something to joke about - might be coming soon to your school and community. It won't be limited to gay communities.

Edited by Spekulatius

12 hours ago, Parsad said:

Greg, another post like the ones I deleted and you get a 30 day ban.  Think before you post.  Cheers!

They were jokes. I was basically beating around the bush but I am just curious why everyone, after having no issue whatsoever recklessly casting blame during covid, even stuff as stupid as blaming individual people for the virus, blaming folks not wearing masks, despite the fact there was virtually no supporting evidence for any of their claims, now, goes hush hush when there are clear, science verified facts regarding who and what spreads this? So I won't make the jokes anymore but the question is certainly legit and definitely not out of line for an inquisitive mind. Why are the mouthpieces and news outlets afraid to be honest about this?

1 hour ago, Gregmal said:

They were jokes. I was basically beating around the bush but I am just curious why everyone, after having no issue whatsoever recklessly casting blame during covid, even stuff as stupid as blaming individual people for the virus, blaming folks not wearing masks, despite the fact there was virtually no supporting evidence for any of their claims, now, goes hush hush when there are clear, science verified facts regarding who and what spreads this? So I won't make the jokes anymore but the question is certainly legit and definitely not out of line for an inquisitive mind. Why are the mouthpieces and news outlets afraid to be honest about this?

All animals are equal but some are more equal than others...