American Capital Agency Corp. (AGNC)

Daytripper

I looked at this company late last year and my notes have a byline: Moral Hazard, Inc.

It seems as though the managers are taking a nice fee for allowing investors to risk their money on a yield curve carry trade. I'm curious to know how they will adjust the business model in the event of rate increases.

Otherwise, it looks like a game of repo hot potato.

Beware of these mortgage REITs... run when people 'value' them based on P/E.

Trades above book... understand how it is they make so much money, and what skill is involved.

I'm long ACAS (edit: which owns a stake in AGNC), but am generally highly skeptical of all mREITs that aren't trading well below book, or named Annaly.

Ben

Mortgage REIT with a huge dividend (21%+).  Company and/or risk seems to be misunderstood.  Any opinions on AGNC?

I own a very small position in it. Short-term hold while yield curve is steep. I would recommend looking at ANH as well. This REIT is trading at less than book with a company buy back in place.

Overall small positions and clearly a bet on the yield curve. My personal opinion, derived from my job as a commercial lender, is that the economy remains weak and that the government is going to be slow in increasing rates. This should allow for another 12 months of solid dividends.