Where Are All The FFH Shareholders?!

Parsad

1 hour ago, Parsad said:

The week before the AGM, and no one is posting?  No Viking spreadsheets?  No Daphne asking about estimates?  No insights by Stubble?

Or are you guys all on the way to Toronto or something?  Cheers!

Honestly, I am not sure there’s too much more to be said until the results come in. It will be interesting to see:
•    The level with which the hard market is still in force (CR and Premium growth)
•    Whether or not they’ve moved ST money into longer term instruments (I am guessing the answer is “no”)
•    What changes have taken place on marketable securities
Chatter should pick up on these and other matters.

-Crip

Lately there's not much to say.  We can only hope that FFH has held the line on duration.  During the first quarter, it must have been tempting as hell to deploy some of the cash/t-bills into 2-yr or 5-yr terms just to get a bit of yield.  Well, let's hope that they rolled the 6-month into new 6-month securities because the world has changed significantly.  I believe that I was the guy who suggested in January that the 2-yr might be the sweet spot and rolling a portion of the port into 2-yr might be a good idea.  Well, just ignore me...

SJ

17 hours ago, StubbleJumper said:

Lately there's not much to say.  We can only hope that FFH has held the line on duration.  During the first quarter, it must have been tempting as hell to deploy some of the cash/t-bills into 2-yr or 5-yr terms just to get a bit of yield.  Well, let's hope that they rolled the 6-month into new 6-month securities because the world has changed significantly.  I believe that I was the guy who suggested in January that the 2-yr might be the sweet spot and rolling a portion of the port into 2-yr might be a good idea.  Well, just ignore me...

SJ

i would have thought the inverse …

that folks would be happy that they would roll those into slightly longer duration given the opportunity. The timing would never be perfect but they got to start somewhere 

20 hours ago, Crip1 said:

Honestly, I am not sure there’s too much more to be said until the results come in. It will be interesting to see:
•    The level with which the hard market is still in force (CR and Premium growth)
•    Whether or not they’ve moved ST money into longer term instruments (I am guessing the answer is “no”)
•    What changes have taken place on marketable securities
Chatter should pick up on these and other matters.

-Crip

Agreed… we are in a bit of a holding pattern until results are released. To your list above i would also add a couple of watch outs:

1.) losses as a result of Ukraine war. Especially reinsurance. 

2.) mark to market losses from fixed income portfolio (driven by spike in bond yields)

Sanjeev…I agree with others…it appears both this board and the stock are in a pre agm, pre results holding pattern.  Also, I suspect most are feeling quite au courant thanks to Vikings in depth spread sheets, Gliders thoughtful analyses, your well substantiated forecasts and the increased transparency coming from FFH. Just waiting for the party to begin 🥳

It seems like I have spent most of my time defending Prem and his team over the last number of years…No one is complaining

and calling my “outlandish” price targets stupid anymore! 
I believe I spent time defending Prem and his family from a coup that said he was rolling up his ownership into India like the old Indian conglomerates! Lol. Can’t believe I had to do that! Remember SD? 

Anyways…very happy for those that believed and redemption for our friend Prem and his team. Fairfax has never been in better shape I guess that is why it is so quiet.

Dazel

16 hours ago, Thrifty3000 said:

I had the exact same thought this morning. Haha 

4BF7DDF8-4128-4FE1-878B-DBAA035C2495.thumb.jpeg.986eec3da9ef7d961e63735119e4035e.jpegHahaha

“The guy (Ackman) who bought it when it dropped by 20% sold it yesterday”

I ll give Prem credit for saying we don’t have the skillset to see if Amazon other bets would have paid off or not. Thats fair. 

Edited by Xerxes