How to contact United Airlines

Dinar

Does anyone know who email addresses are assigned at United Airlines?  We just got bounced from our flight scheduled for June of 2022 (business class), direct and rebooked to an indirect with an hour lay-over.  It is never acceptable, but particularly when we have 3 kids 6 and under.  I would like to give executives hell, and was wondering whether anyone knows how email addresses at United are generated?  Also, I will of course never fly United again.

You’re going to have to get in line if you want to yell at airline employees.  They take so much abuse.  I’ve flown on military flights — over half were scrubbed due to equipment problems. It’s a miracle the airlines do what they do IMO.

I recommend instead of using the time to yell at airline employees, do something fun with your children.

You might also consider what our 18th and 19th century ancestors would think about your displeasure at being bumped from business class and adding a few hours to your trip.

Perhaps you should take a job at the airlines — you might be able to fix their scheduling/equipment/labor problems!

Commercial flying sucks nowadays.  Ironically Since I’ve adopted that attitude I’ve been happier.

Enjoy your trip with the kids!

11 minutes ago, crs223 said:

You’re going to have to get in line if you want to yell at airline employees.  They take so much abuse.  I’ve flown on military flights — over half were scrubbed due to equipment problems. It’s a miracle the airlines do what they do IMO.

I recommend instead of using the time to yell at airline employees, do something fun with your children.

You might also consider what our 18th and 19th century ancestors would think about your displeasure at being bumped from business class and adding a few hours to your trip.

Perhaps you should take a job at the airlines — you might be able to fix their scheduling/equipment/labor problems!

Commercial flying sucks nowadays.  Ironically Since I’ve adopted that attitude I’ve been happier.

Enjoy your trip with the kids!

I do not want to yell at airline employees, executives yes, should be fired!  Our 18th and 19th century ancestors would either think that we are very lucky, or chop the head off offending merchants.  I expect a contract to be binding on both parties, not heads I lose tails you win.   It is an 11 hour direct flight, so indirect would be 14.  Doing something fun with the kids is easy in Central Park or Metropolitan Museum of Art, Denver airport after getting up at 5 am for a flight with three little kids a bit tougher.  You have a very healthy attitude, I am doing the trip for the kids, would have gone to Europe for myself.  Yes, I need to triple my net worth in real terms before I can afford private jet to Hawaii, something to aspire to.  But yes, I need to adopt your attitude and just roll with it, life will be much happier.

15 minutes ago, Dinar said:

I do not want to yell at airline employees, executives yes, should be fired!  Our 18th and 19th century ancestors would either think that we are very lucky, or chop the head off offending merchants.  I expect a contract to be binding on both parties, not heads I lose tails you win.   It is an 11 hour direct flight, so indirect would be 14.  Doing something fun with the kids is easy in Central Park or Metropolitan Museum of Art, Denver airport after getting up at 5 am for a flight with three little kids a bit tougher.  You have a very healthy attitude, I am doing the trip for the kids, would have gone to Europe for myself.  Yes, I need to triple my net worth in real terms before I can afford private jet to Hawaii, something to aspire to.  But yes, I need to adopt your attitude and just roll with it, life will be much happier.

Did you ask for any compensation from the airline?  Food vouchers, monetary, free future upgrades, hotel if your flight is the next day?  Also, do you qualify for anything under the charter of rights for airline passengers?

US:  https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/fly-rights

Canada:  https://airpassengerrights.ca/en/

Cheers!

14 hours ago, Parsad said:

Did you ask for any compensation from the airline?  Food vouchers, monetary, free future upgrades, hotel if your flight is the next day?  Also, do you qualify for anything under the charter of rights for airline passengers?

US:  https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/fly-rights

Canada:  https://airpassengerrights.ca/en/

Cheers!

Thank you very much, will check it out.

at the end of the day is this really going to affect your life for more than a few hours? I seriously don't understand people getting all riled up about something minor. 

1 hour ago, stahleyp said:

at the end of the day is this really going to affect your life for more than a few hours? I seriously don't understand people getting all riled up about something minor. 

Well, everything is relative isn't it?  Being punched in the head by Mike Tyson is not a big deal to Golovkin, probably would be consequential to you?  It may be inconsequential to you but it is to me.  When I was a 20 year old student, it would not have been a problem.  Today with three kids all 6 and under, three or four extra hours in airport and flight is a headache.  The biggest problem is that they can do this again, and route me via Zimbabwe if they so chose.  

I generally agree that your time is best spent other ways, but I've been 6/6 with Southwest with flights being cancelled day of or being delayed multiple hours in the last 4 months. 

And in some cases, I missed flights and had to overnight places because I had been bumped from a direct to a flight with a layover and the connecting flight was delayed - but of course it was due to "weather" so no compensation or refund for having paid for the premium direct option. 

Whatever the airlines in general are doing right now is totally unacceptable and heads should roll at this point as they've had two whole years to figure this ish out. 

I highly encourage you to make a stink. I emailed Southwest 10 days ago regarding all of my issues (with confirmation numbers so they could verify) and still haven't heard anything back which is also terrible customer support. 

Edited by TwoCitiesCapital

Dinar

United is the only airline that actively involved in procurement of the supersonic commercial jets aiming for revenue-flight sometimes late in the decade but more likely early 2030s. 

I don’t know about their customer related KPI, but I can say that post-Covid they have been one of the most active in thinking about the future and how they want to shape it with their product offering etc. Usually that compliment goes to Delta Airlines.  

here is an artistic representation of that future. 

35318757-84E9-40B5-8E29-E3D7BB384801.thumb.jpeg.0f14a8b05d5896dafecf43fd31782302.jpeg

41 minutes ago, Dinar said:

Well, everything is relative isn't it?  Being punched in the head by Mike Tyson is not a big deal to Golovkin, probably would be consequential to you?  It may be inconsequential to you but it is to me.  When I was a 20 year old student, it would not have been a problem.  Today with three kids all 6 and under, three or four extra hours in airport and flight is a headache.  The biggest problem is that they can do this again, and route me via Zimbabwe if they so chose.  

Yes, it can be a headache. It's still pretty inconsequential to you, is it not? Let's just say you aren't the only person with young kids and I know how much of a headache it is...but that's all it is. Not the end of the world.

Getting your blood pressure up for something very minor in life seems like a bad trade to me. But to each is own, I guess. 

While contacting them, here are some hints on optimizing your chance of getting what you want:

https://www.npr.org/2022/03/16/1086915600/get-what-you-want-customer-service

IMHO, with business-class seats, I'm pretty sure United CS will try to accommodate you as much as they can.  Enjoy, and if you can, report back on how things have changed(or not changed) post-pandemic.  TIA.

6 hours ago, stahleyp said:

Yes, it can be a headache. It's still pretty inconsequential to you, is it not? Let's just say you aren't the only person with young kids and I know how much of a headache it is...but that's all it is. Not the end of the world.

Getting your blood pressure up for something very minor in life seems like a bad trade to me. But to each is own, I guess. 

I agree with you.

11 hours ago, stahleyp said:

I'm not sure he's getting riled up.  He paid for his tickets, the airline could not fulfill their obligation and he's seeking a proper response or compensation for this failure.  No different than if your mechanic messed up your engine or your grocery delivery guy broke your dozen eggs. 

I complain all the time, so that I get some sort of answer or am compensated in some way.  You overbook my flight and bump me...compensate me.  You forget my McDouble with my order...compensate me.  You're late with a delivery...explanation or compensate me.  I don't get riled up...but I make sure I'm not on the losing end of any screwed up transaction.

Cheers!

On 4/5/2022 at 2:43 AM, Parsad said:

I'm not sure he's getting riled up.  He paid for his tickets, the airline could not fulfill their obligation and he's seeking a proper response or compensation for this failure.  No different than if your mechanic messed up your engine or your grocery delivery guy broke your dozen eggs. 

I complain all the time, so that I get some sort of answer or am compensated in some way.  You overbook my flight and bump me...compensate me.  You forget my McDouble with my order...compensate me.  You're late with a delivery...explanation or compensate me.  I don't get riled up...but I make sure I'm not on the losing end of any screwed up transaction.

Cheers!

Calling "executives and giving them hell" sounds pretty riled up to me. 😉

I agree that if they overbook the flight while in process (ie won't board me even thought I'm already at the airport), I would probably be a more little upset. If they change it 2 months in advance, we all know that can happen and it's part of the agreement when we book. It's hard for me to get mad at that. I mean, that's part of the game and rules after all. 

Admittedly, I do fight harder if I've been given misinformation or something like that.

On 4/4/2022 at 7:32 PM, stahleyp said:

Contracts should be binding for both parties  or do you think they'd accept his unilateral cancellation? The being riled up is fully out of principle and not to do with anything practical. I hope he manages to punish them a bit for their unacceptable behaviour.

Did you ask for a refund? Perhaps you would be better set on taking your business elsewhere. I guess contingent on the Contract of Carriage seems that's a likely option?

Schedule Change - When a Passenger’s Ticketed flight is affected because of a Schedule Change that modifies the original departure and/or arrival time by 30 minutes or more, UA will, at its election, arrange one of the following:

1. Transport the Passenger on its closest available flight to the Destination, next Stopover point, or transfer point shown on its portion of the Ticket, without Stopover in the same class of service (subject to availability), at no additional cost to the Passenger; provided that if such alternate transportation results in a significant change to the originally scheduled departure or arrival times and the Passenger chooses not to accept such alternate transportation, United will (at the Passenger’s request) provide a refund;
  2. When a Schedule Change results in the cancellation of all UA service between two cities, at UA’s sole discretion, UA may reroute Passengers over the lines of one or more carriers in an equivalent class of service; provided that if such alternate transportation results in a significant change to the originally scheduled departure or arrival times and the Passenger chooses not to accept such alternate transportation, United will (at the Passenger’s request) provide a refund;
  3. Advise the Passenger that the value of his or her Ticket may be applied toward future travel on United within one year from the date of issue without a change or reissue fee; or
  4. If the Passenger is not offered transportation as provided in C) 1) or 2) above and does not choose to apply the value of his or her Ticket toward future travel as provided in C) 3) above, the Passenger will be eligible for a refund upon request.

10 hours ago, wachtwoord said:

Contracts should be binding for both parties  or do you think they'd accept his unilateral cancellation? The being riled up is fully out of principle and not to do with anything practical. I hope he manages to punish them a bit for their unacceptable behaviour.

Is airline changing their schedule a breach of contract?

I generally dont complain. Its not worth the energy. If a restaurant I go to is awful, I just dont go back. If a hotel I stay at is shit, I just dont go back. If a service I order isnt up to par, I cancel future service. Airlines are a bit tougher because its oligopoly like, but even there, to most of the US, I would rather just drive. When I go South for the winter, instead of paying $2000 to fly the family, we just get in the car and do 5-7 hours of driving a day and then stay at a nice hotel. Still comes out the same or less than flying+renting a car+wasting hours standing around at airport. 

If, as a client, I want to change a flight to a different date and it happens to be more expensive, I have to pay the difference.

If the airline changes my direct flight to an indirect flight which would have been cheaper to buy when I first purchased, they should not just get away with it.

That said, complaining usually goes nowhere. I have, however, used https://www.airhelp.com and got a nice refund once. Rules in Europe are quite strict, not sure about the U.S.:

"Delayed flights: you may be able to claim compensation if your flight arrived 3 hours or more late.
Cancelled flights: you may be eligible for compensation if your flight was cancelled less than 14 days before it was due to depart.
Overbookings: you are owed compensation any time you are denied boarding through no fault of your own — so long as you didn't voluntarily give up your seat.

We should note that if extraordinary circumstances were involved, arirlines are under no obligation to pay compensation. Examples of extraordinary circumstances include bad weather, travel restrictions, and air traffic control strikes. Though these situations cause delays and cancellations, the airline isn't at fault, so can't be expected to offer compensation.

Remember these are European flight regulations and so only apply to flights departing from an EU airport, or flights landing in the EU with a European airline."

Edited by backtothebeach

4 hours ago, Gregmal said:

I generally dont complain. Its not worth the energy. If a restaurant I go to is awful, I just dont go back. If a hotel I stay at is shit, I just dont go back. If a service I order isnt up to par, I cancel future service. Airlines are a bit tougher because its oligopoly like, but even there, to most of the US, I would rather just drive. When I go South for the winter, instead of paying $2000 to fly the family, we just get in the car and do 5-7 hours of driving a day and then stay at a nice hotel. Still comes out the same or less than flying+renting a car+wasting hours standing around at airport. 

No business in the world wants unsatisfied customers.  Sure, some small business owners may not give two shits like the COBF 🤣, but larger corporate operations want happy customers...their managers want happy customers.  Does complaining ever change anything at the top...rarely...perhaps in 1 in every 1000 cases.  But that doesn't mean you should not complain if you are dissatisfied with service or a product.

I get compensated almost every time I complain.  Cell phone bill?  Knock off $10 bucks next month.  Cable bill?  Ok give me some free movies.  Hotel service?  Free drinks at the bar.  Airline delays or cancellations?  Passenger bill of rights.  Restaurant error?  Comp the meal or a free one next time.  Grocery bill incorrect?  Free item or $10 off...it's the law in Canada. 

That being said, I don't complain that much...maybe once a month...ok 2-3 times a month!  Cheers!

5 hours ago, Gregmal said:

Gregmal, I agree, but there is no way to get from NY to Hawaii other than by plane.