Stocks/ETFs you're salivating to buy at the bottom

LearningMachine

I think someone said decisions they make at the bottom is where some make most of their money even though they may not know it then.

What are are some stocks/ETFs folks are hoping to buy at the bottom?

For taxable accounts, what do folks think will continue to compound at a good rate after the bottom that they won't have to sell for a decade? 

For tax-free accounts, where you can churn faster, what are you hoping to buy at a discount? 

Edited by LearningMachine

Nothing jumps out to me as screaming buys but there's good value in the REIT sector both US/CDN side. I also agree with some of the other posters here that nibbling at high quality names that never quite reach "cheap" is as close as you can get to "guaranteed to do alright" in the long run. Examples, COST, DIS, GOOG, AMZN, MSFT, etc. 

I want to get back into STOR but would love to know what happened with Volk. 

As for reaching into the dog pile.....I will get crap for this...but I wouldn't mind tossing some dollars at PLTR at $10. 

Edited by Dean

My bread and butter are nothing new, BRK/COST get me excited when I see them falling. Core holdings and the majority of the port that I would be perfectly content not looking at for a decade. Things have to get much uglier before I get genuinely excited, but those are my two most obvious and I’m sure they would be on most others list to keep an eye on also. 

10 minutes ago, Dinar said:

Historically a great buy signal, except for a couple of times when it went to 70!  Still on a two year view probably quite attractive

Anything over 35 on VIX is a signal to core positions. Anything over 50 is my signal to buy new stuff for long term. 

Spring of 2020 I bought GOOG for an easy double. BRK would be my ideal stock if it was ever having a fire sale (not super likely). In that environment you know that papa B is also going to put his cash pile to work on some wonderful companies. Problem is having enough dry powder to swing hard.

3 hours ago, Spooky said:

BRK would be my ideal stock if it was ever having a fire sale (not super likely). In that environment you know that papa B is also going to put his cash pile to work on some wonderful companies. Problem is having enough dry powder to swing hard.

I like to think it might dip significantly for a minute when Buffett passes?

Hope I can take advantage of it.

Not that I have any insight but I have always assumed that Munger and Buffett have an agreement to provide a floor in the market, in the event that one of them passes. As long as the market is trading below their intrinsic estimate of value. Just seems to fit with their view of looking after their partners.

And in answer to the question, its hard to see past Disney at the moment.

Edited by BroKon

5 hours ago, BroKon said:

Not that I have any insight but I have always assumed that Munger and Buffett have an agreement to provide a floor in the market, in the event that one of them passes. As long as the market is trading below their intrinsic estimate of value. Just seems to fit with their view of looking after their partners.

Sure, a significant dip wouldn't last long.

But also why would be so very low risk.

11 hours ago, james22 said:

I like to think it might dip significantly for a minute when Buffett passes?

Hope I can take advantage of it.

I'm want to be ready for this day too. I have faith in the Berkshire model for the long run and they are so well positioned for the future.

6 hours ago, Paarslaars said:

How will you be ready for that day? Try to guess when he'll die and free up cash right before? Now that's even worse than market timing. 😛 

I know when that day comes my portfolio will take a big hit...

Waiting for a 90 year old dude to die is like waiting for the market to crash, the illusion of it happening tomorrow is real, and then however many years later you realize you wasted your time. Or then it does happen and you’re still paying more than if you had just bought on day one. 

When Jobs died Apple was down 4-5%. So not much. And at this stage of the game I’d argue Jobs was way more important to Apple than Buffett is to Berkshire in todays form.

36 minutes ago, Gregmal said:

Waiting for a 90 year old dude to die is like waiting for the market to crash, the illusion of it happening tomorrow is real, and then however many years later you realize you wasted your time. Or then it does happen and you’re still paying more than if you had just bought on day one. 

When Jobs died Apple was down 4-5%. So not much. And at this stage of the game I’d argue Jobs was way more important to Apple than Buffett is to Berkshire in todays form.

at my first job as a trader 2011-2013, i told some folks i liked Berkshire Hathaway*. The first question i got from (almost) everyone was..."what happens when buffett dies?"

obviously closer now than then, but Berkshire is up 12-15% /yr since then.**

*i was wrong to not like FAANG / FANGMAN, FAMG or whatever relevatn acronym more but wa

**not market beating but satisfying nevertheless

2 hours ago, Gregmal said:

Agree. BRK is already my second biggest position so I have been buying when the price looks attractive. A 5% drop in the share price would still present a nice buying opportunity to add more although given BRK's focus on succession planning and long term oriented shareholder base I doubt the decrease in price will be very significant.

Hey this thread is about what we're salivating to buy at the bottom so I'm allowed to dream!

2 hours ago, Gregmal said:

Waiting for a 90 year old dude to die is like waiting for the market to crash, the illusion of it happening tomorrow is real, and then however many years later you realize you wasted your time.

I tried to keep open a limit order at 20% below BRK's price in the hope of catching a flash crash upon the announcement.

Gave it up after a year. Too much work.

That was maybe ten years ago...

• 4 weeks later...

Biotech etfs are attractive.  

There is no floor at the moment though, not with the Russian invasion but perhaps more importantly for valuations an aggressive fed.  So I’ve no confidence in this level.

There may be better opportunities if we get a broader market sell off so I’m not decided on whether I go for the biotech.

However if I decide to pull the trigger I will look to average in slowly over the next 18 months and hope my average price isn’t too bad.

Edited by Sweet