What are you listening to ? (Music thread)

Spekulatius

7 hours ago, Spekulatius said:

Barbara Dennerlein. Plays the hammond organ with bass lines (with her feet). I saw her once live in a student club in the early 90's. I almost forgot about her until I searched in youtube. What an awesome musician and so glad she is still kicking.

Love that B3 sound. I've been playing a Studiologic Numa 2 organ for a few months now. For anyone interested, the Numa is a good drawbar clone wheel with an excellent key bed and a nice Leslie emulator. You can get one for less than $1000. The metal case makes it eminently roadworthy.

I don't use bass pedals but have developed a pretty good left hand.

Jazz...

18 hours ago, boilermaker75 said:

The Doors didn't have a bass player, well not in concert. Ray Manzarek provided bass for the doors on his organ, but he  did it with his left hand. On some songs on their albums they would have a bass player overdub Ray's bass.

On the album LA Women, Elvis Presley's bass player was on all the tracks.

That Fender Rhodes sound + the Vox Continental.

I get both of these from a Yamaha MOXF6. On the Numa, I set an upper and lower manual to get the left hand bass. I should probably work up some Doors. The only thing I can play now is Soul Kitchen.

Edited by DooDiligence

37 minutes ago, DooDiligence said:

That Fender Rhodes sound + the Vox Continental.

I get both of these from a Yamaha MOXF6. On the Numa, I set an upper and lower manual to get the left hand bass. I should probably work up some Doors. The only thing I can play now is Soul Kitchen.

If you do some Doors' songs, you should post a recording. I'd like to hear it.

The Doors had that unique combination of a classically-trained pianist, a jazz-trained drummer, a flamenco-trained guitarist, and a non-musically trained lead singer!

41 minutes ago, boilermaker75 said:

The Doors had that unique combination of a classically-trained pianist, a jazz-trained drummer, a flamenco-trained guitarist, and a non-musically trained lead singer!

Same with Deep Purple / Rainbow. Ritchie Blackmore is basically a classic musician doing hard rock. Listen to some of his later stuff, it's totally different (folk rock with classical tunes) and quite good:

9 hours ago, boilermaker75 said:

Soul Kitchen is the only Doors song I can do, and I do it as a playalong with the mp3.

I've finally gotten out of academic mode and have started building a repertory of mostly jazz covers with improv.

I plan on getting out this Spring and doing open mics.

When I find some people to play with, recordings and videos will get posted for sure.

17 hours ago, boilermaker75 said:

@DooDiligence I look forward to listening!

If I remember right, you play bass?

I've been heavily tilted towards jazz, with a fat beat and bass. The Yamaha MOXF has some great arpeggiated drums and that's what I mostly use for rhythms. I use a looper pedal to lay down a harmony (4, 8, 12 or 16 bars), and then practice melodic improv over that using blues scales, octatonic and whole tone and broken chords.

It's one thing to do it in the studio and another thing entirely to do it in front of a crowd or a camera.

I'm slowly working up the courage.

Just learned Crazy, (Willie Nelson wrote it for Patsy Cline), and it fits perfectly with a jazz set. Most people would call it country but it's definitely not, (ii V I progression, shot through with extended chords, puts this squarely into the jazz bucket IMO). I add a lot of right hand embellishment that the original keyboardist included. A lot of the theory I learned comes in handy for re-harmonizing with passing chords. I love the way that F7#5 fits in between the 1st 2 verses, (at the last bar on the attached lead sheet).

I wish I had some people (40 yo and up), to start playing with.

crazy.jpeg

Edited by DooDiligence

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

One of the best groups of the 21st century, with arguably one of the great female lead singers/frontwoman...the Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Karen Oh...their latest album, nine years since their last, comes out on iTunes on September 30, 2022!

https://www.nme.com/news/music/yeah-yeah-yeahs-announce-long-awaited-new-album-cool-it-down-with-perfume-genius-collaboration-3238197